Moving With Infant

E

elizabethsmom

My daughter is 10months old and still nursing but will be moving (900 miles) in a van next week. How can I safely take her with me? Is it safe to drive in a moving truck? SUggestions?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's not ideal, if you can travel in a car with her then it's better. But if you have no other option I'd put her in the middle of the moving van (make sure you get a bench seat) and you outboard. That gives her the protection of being in the middle, and I think most moving vans have a lapbelt only in the middle so you wouldn't want to sit there anyway.

Just take frequent stops to nurse her and to get out and stretch. I hope the move goes well for you!

Wendy

We just moved over 1000 miles with six kidlets; two are in harnessed restraints (1 FF and 1 RF). We had a rental truck, and although it wasn't necessary for me or the kids to drive, or ride in, that truck, we asked about carseats/child passengers anyway because some of our older kiddos wanted to switch out riding w/ their father in it. They told us basically, only if the child is old enough to sit in the adult seatbelt. I don't know how official this was, but it was the answer we got...

Good luck with your move!!!

Lea_Ontario

We've moved 3 times since Boo was born in 2002 - and each time we've been told that child restraints are NOT ALLOWED in the trucks.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Hi, This has nothing to do with the truck and a car seat but I hope you get lots of help unpacking and putting things away. We moved last summer when Karley was 4 days old. She was breech and delivered naturally with complications. I spent one day in the hospital. (Stupid me, they asked me to stay longer.) I couldn't wait go get home to the other kids. Then we packed and moved three days later. It was awful. I don't know what I was thinking. I would never to it that way again. Let everyone help you and take it easy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC