Talk me out of an 8 seat Sienna

autumnlily

or talk me into to it :whistle:

I have a perfectly fine 2002 CE Sienna. Love the stereo feature on the steering wheel and don't like the 2nd row bench (vs captain chairs). I don't have a *need* for 8 passenger seats - but like the idea. My family fits in this vehicle just fine, really :rolleyes:

What I do have is the *want* to be more spoiled with our vehicle - but it really isn't necessary and it will have a negative financial impact to our current car situation if I upgrade (by $100ish more a month and a higher debt to income ratio overall)

BUT... I have three small kiddos in 3 carseats, a stroller and diaperbags and will be taking on a 6 month old baby (nanny) in July for a year. I can't help thinking that now is the time I will need the extra features - when the kiddos are so small yet take up so much room.

By extra features, I mean: 5 Latch install options, auto sliding passenger door, fold down in floor back row (I have to remove my current seat if I need more room) and center console between driver/passenger and of course the upgraded safety features (side air bags).

We will be in a better financial position in two years when my mom retires and takes over childcare so that I can go back to work full-time. BUT, I won't be driving the kids as much then and they will be just about outgrown a stroller and much more capable of loading themselves into the vehicle.... what's a momma to do?!?

Anyone want to share their thoughts with me? Convince me to be happy with our current safe and reliable 2002 CE - as I know it's much more than so many large families have and better than any family vehicle we had while growing up. Or, should I seriously consider making an upgrade? Or, any other ideas?

I'm adamant about having sliding doors (whether automatic or not)

Thanks

ADS

autumnlily

Other concerns for any van:

How do I secure the stroller (currently phil&ted - but am selling it for baby jogger City Mini), especially if I do remove/fold part of the third row to accomodate it?

coleslawcat

I'm not a good person to talk you out of it. A little over a year ago we bought a 2008 7 passenger Sienna and I love it! I especially love the automatic doors. I have never owned a minivan before so I didn't realize how spoiled I was by the back seats stowing and some of the other features. But, if your current Sienna fits your family and it would put you in a difficult position financially, you need to sit down and decide if those conveniences are really worth the extra stress it would put on your finances.

emandbri

I have now had my 8 seater sienna for 2 years and can't imagine life without it! I LOVE it SOOOOO much! It is SOOOO handy to have all 4 kids in it and love that I can take extras no problem.

We have also been on several road trips taking extra people. We went to Springfield IL with my mom, Ozarks with my MIL, Kentucky with me, 4 kids, my parents AND my cousin. It would have been MUCH harder to do these road trips with my old van, a 98 sienna, I wouldn't have had the 8th seat, all the shoulder belts, and the back row was narrower, and there wouldn't have been enough room for all the luggage anyway.

I don't secure my strollers but I also don't fold down the seat for them. The truck area dips down instead of being flat on your 2002 and there is room for two of them, I normally have my mountain buggy and a maclaren back there.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Not sure I can talk you out of it either. But I :love::love::love: My 05 8 passenger. Right now there are 3 across the middle, rf dc, ff nautilus, and what ever seat I put outboard (right now the keyfit base). Can fit loads of stuff in the back, too. Large double stroller plus a single (C1), and often left 2 singles back there. Enough gear for a whole day out with 6 kids, to the beach, inlaws, etc.

This will have to be a decision you have to make, and weight the pros and cons, kwim?

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would wait. $100 is a lot more a month for a minivan that you want and don't need. The economy isn't the best right now so I wouldn't go more into debt.

Also even if you are working ft in a few years your kids will still be in your car tons. They will be older and into sports and other activities.

autumnlily

I know I should wait. I know I should. And, for now I will - I know I will love it in a few years too.

I drove in our mini van yesterday and today and looked behind me and admired the ease of what I do have.

I think actually, this will be a good "project" for me... work on paying down the remainder of the loan and not plan on selling/trading it until we owe less on our than what it is worth. Sometimes my hubby and I can get a head of ourselves and just spend $$ when we should save or make a cash goal. :thumbsdown

We'll see what I think in a week! :whistle:

Thanks so much for your responses!

autumnlily

Oh, another question - see, now, I got my hubby excited and I need to tone him back down too.

Does a Marathon fit forward facing on the front and center seat of the middle row... when pushed front and center?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
As fond as I am of our '05 Sienna, I would wait in your shoes until you truly need another vehicle. :twocents: FWIW, the Sienna is due to be redesigned for the next model year. I don't know details, but you might find there are tweaks to the current version that are worth having in a year or two if you hold off on getting a new one, and there might be even more deals to be had on used models as well in a couple of years if you were thinking of getting a used one.

emandbri

They also keep taking about a sienna hybrid. There is a hybrid toyota in Japan that gets an estimated 38 MPG.

I know it is hard. We really did need our van when we bought it but didn't soon after. I felt guilty having the higher payment we already had it so there was no point in selling it!

When we bought the van I really needed it because it was a PITA to drop off and pick up the older boys from school every day and have them go around Benjamin in the captain's chair. We also really needed the extra cargo room because we lived in Omaha and our parents in St. Louis and we had to drive there often. Christmas was really bad, trying to fit the luggage and all the presents was horrible.

Soon after we bought the van though my husband got a job in St. Louis and now the older kids are on the bus and we have Christmas in town! ;)

Oh the plus side you do have the hand controls on the steering wheel and the automatic door! I didn't have those on my 98! :D

autumnlily

A hybrid would be awesome!

I do have the stereo on the steering wheel - but no automatic door :eek:

Waiting is definitely in our best interest ;)... I think I just caught up in the "I need" mind-set when it is obvious my "I need" = "I want" in reality.

What really got me in the thought process of needing a new van was - I want captain chairs for the middle row to reduce the issue of when my husband drives the van and the MA is behind the driver seat.

Has anyone heard if you can replace a bench seat with captain chairs in a 2002 Sienna CE - OR, when I can go to research it. I have tried a google search but must be using the wrong search strings.

emandbri

I forgot no automatic door on the CE. What issues are you having with the MA?

I don't think you can change it out and put captain's chairs in. I'm trying to remember but I think my 98 had anchors just in the spots for the captain's chairs and no anchors where the bench seat would have to be connected to the floor of the van.

autumnlily

The MA is rear facing behind the driver seat - and it's no issue when I'm driving as I'm only 5ft 2in. Hubby is 6ft 2in. Perhaps I should have kept the roundabout.

But in all reality, he drives the van very little. I haven't tried putting the MA rear facing in the back row while the bench is installed. Possibly it would be an option for our longer drives (DH always does drives for out big trips).

OR, maybe I could put one MA rear facing in the back row (outboard passenger where less of the seat would hit the middle bench) and keep one MA rear facing in middle bench behind passenger and have my 3 year old FF behind driver. This would not be ideal for everyday use buy probably doable for a long trip.

I should go play with the carseats :p

emandbri

Hum, I'm 5 foot 9 and have always had my seat all the way back but the captain's chairs can be moved forward and back which might have made a difference.

There is a picture of my son in a MA in my 98 sienna in this thread.
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=780935&postcount=21

I would put the driver seat all the way back and then install the MA and see how upright it is. Since the twins are now a year old they don't need the 45 degree angle that a newborn needs, it is okay for them to be more upright.

coleslawcat

The MA is rear facing behind the driver seat - and it's no issue when I'm driving as I'm only 5ft 2in. Hubby is 6ft 2in. Perhaps I should have kept the roundabout.

But in all reality, he drives the van very little. I haven't tried putting the MA rear facing in the back row while the bench is installed. Possibly it would be an option for our longer drives (DH always does drives for out big trips).

OR, maybe I could put one MA rear facing in the back row (outboard passenger where less of the seat would hit the middle bench) and keep one MA rear facing in middle bench behind passenger and have my 3 year old FF behind driver. This would not be ideal for everyday use buy probably doable for a long trip.

I should go play with the carseats :p

I thought we had this problem as well. My husband drives with the seat all the way back and it would push up against our rear-facing Marathon. I realized that we actually had it installed too far reclined. When I fixed the issue it no longer touched the seatback even when all the way back. I have an 08 though so maybe it's different than yours.

inezyv

If you can make do with what you have, now is the time to make do.

But -- if you do succumb and buy a new one, then google about Toyota's loyalty checks. My dh negotiated one a few years ago, directly from the manufacturer, who told him not to tell the dealer. I think he got a check for five hundred bucks. We obtained the information for getting the check from the Sienna Club forums, which I can no longer find on the internet. I don't know the specifics, but it had to do with promoting loyalty for people who always bought Toyota. I think dh gave them the VINS of prior Toyotas we had owned and explained we were considering an Odyssey as well, but this was back in 2005 and may no longer be available. YMMV.

vonfirmath

Honestly, it sounds like buying it right now is a bad financial decision. I'd wait. :twocents:

Wait until you can pay cash. If you could pay cash for it, I'd have no problem with you buying something you didn't strictly "need"

But you say "Two years from now we'll be in a better financial situation" -- but that's assuming a LOT. What happens if your husband is laid off in the next 6 months? Wouldn't you rather NOT have the additional debt in that situation? Or you could be in a situation in two years where you don't want to go back to work, (medical, schooling, etc) even though right now you think you will.

I NEVER thought I'd be working right now, while my husband stayed home with the kiddo. But this is the hand that life has dealt. We were able to move to Texas, to be closer to family, because we had paid off our debt and so only had to deal with day to day bills. Being debt-free can give you great freedom in life, so I wouldn't do anything to put off the day of that freedom even more.

autumnlily

You are all so very right. Trust me, financially, I know what is best.... I just thought I could talk myself into justifying the luxury and I really know better than that :rolleyes:. Funny thing, did I mention, I'm an Accountant :D

I'm glad there as so many sound-minded mama's to help keep me grouded!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC