I remember when I was told this...

lovinwaves

I will never ever forget being told this when DD was an infant riding in her SnugRide, "Whenever her feet start to hit the back of the Car's seat then it is time to move her to a convertible carseat." I can't for the life of me remember who told me this, but I do remember hearing it from several sources. Is this "old School"? Have things changed that much in 2.5 years? Was anyone else told this, or ever heard of this?

ADS

skaterbabs

it's outdated advice based on an old wives' tale. there persists the belief that if the child's feet touch the vehicle seatback that leg/hip injuries could occur in a crash. Of course that's complete fabrication, but some people still believe it.

lovinwaves

it's outdated advice based on an old wives' tale. there persists the belief that if the child's feet touch the vehicle seatback that leg/hip injuries could occur in a crash. Of course that's complete fabrication, but some people still believe it.

OOOh I like that, "old wives' tale".
Yep, I think your right!!!!

skaterbabs

;) you would not believe how many people still tout the advice to "turn them around so their legs won't get broken" or other such nonsense. Any crash severe enough to cause trauma/injury to the legs/hips while RF would be severe enough to cause internal decapitation in a FF child.

mamato2

This is a MAJOR 'pet peeve' of mine!!! I have friends whose doctors are STILL giving out that advice. Some have small kids and so they ended up staying rf longer than the average kid but most just turned them around.
Once they have turned them and nothing 'bad' has happened they don't want to bother turn them rf again when they hear (from me) that it really, really is ok and even better.
C.
ps I tried the noodle on a rope for ff dd's feet but it doesn't work too well. the recline bar in the front sticks out so that she can't really rest her feet on the noodle. She claims tho that putting the noodle under her knees is very comfortable though :).

tjham

I will never ever forget being told this when DD was an infant riding in her SnugRide, "Whenever her feet start to hit the back of the Car's seat then it is time to move her to a convertible carseat." I can't for the life of me remember who told me this, but I do remember hearing it from several sources. Is this "old School"? Have things changed that much in 2.5 years? Was anyone else told this, or ever heard of this?

But "moving to a convertible carseat" does not have to mean "turn forward facing". It can just mean move to a convertible Rear Facing! ;)

lovinwaves

But "moving to a convertible carseat" does not have to mean "turn forward facing". It can just mean move to a convertible Rear Facing!

Yeah, I realize that NOW!!:( Isn't it sad!!!
I probably would have had my baby forward facing way to early. Thank goodness I realize that Rear-facing is best. DD was forward facing for a year!! AHHH!! Thank goodness I never had a severe accident!!:)
I honestly at the time had no idea Convertibles could rear-face:eek:

But you know, I do remember a couple of my friends turning their kids around once their feet were touching the back of the seat. Shocking... I know!!!

Simplysomething

Yeah, I realize that NOW!!:( Isn't it sad!!!
I probably would have had my baby forward facing way to early.

Think about those of us who had to turn our kiddos ff'ing, when the upper limit was 22 lbs!

This is possibly one of the reasons why my 19 month old is still rf'ing, because I felt so guilty having to turn my 6 year old before he was 1. (And the recommendation was 1 year and 20 lbs then too, because I remember having arguments about it on message boards. lol).

lovinwaves

Think about those of us who had to turn our kiddos ff'ing, when the upper limit was 22 lbs!

This is possibly one of the reasons why my 19 month old is still rf'ing, because I felt so guilty having to turn my 6 year old before he was 1. (And the recommendation was 1 year and 20 lbs then too, because I remember having arguments about it on message boards. lol).

When did we start having seat that could rear-face to 30-35 pounds? I wonder how many kids would have lived or not had serious injuries? No data on this is there???:(

C

childrestraintsafety

Oh hell, I hear that ALLLLLLL the time "must turn them around when their legs touch the seat" etc. All the time.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I hear that all the time! My two year old is rear facing and I'm constantly hearing about how his legs will break in an accident.

My answer to this is that I'm not trying to protect their legs, I'm trying to protect their spine. The legs are an added bonus. But it's so much easier to cast a broken leg than to cure a broken neck.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC