Question about Britax Marathonn Buckle

B

Brendan's Mommy

Hello to all!

This is my first post. I am a proud owner of 2 Britax Marathons! They're fresh out of the box! YAY! Even prouder, I am the mother of a beautiful 4 month old boy.

Whoever thought I'd be in a carseat forum? Not me, never in a million years! But hey, when we become mommies, things change! Now I am proud to say that I am a member in a carseat forum.

I was reading reviews on Target, Amazon, and Babies R Us and I found that many parents were complaining about the crotch strap/buckle being to short/too small. Some also said that the carseat was terrible. I disagree with that though, this is my first time with the Marathon, but I remember being at Target before I had my son and passing the carseat aisle, thinking, "That's a really nice looking carseat, I want that if and when I ever have kids!" Well, the if and when finally happened! DS was born November 24, 2008!

Anyways...

I sat my son in the carseat and I didn't have a problem buckling him in. I currently have a Graco Infant Safe Seat in French Roast. I love the thing I get so many compliments, but I don't think it's as comfy as the Marathon. I buckled him into the Marathon in my living room and he literally sat in it for 30-45 minutes perfectly content. I was thinking Wow! This thing is great!

Ok, sorry got off topic there. So, my son who is 4 months old is a big boy. He's 17lbs and 27inches, nowhere near what the Marathon can hold. So obviously I woldn't have a problem with the strap being too short.

Does anyone else have a Marathon with a larger child? I am wondering if the reviews that were left are valid or if it is user misuse.

Please let me know. I just took them out of the box, so I could return them, if it's really true. And if it is, could you recommend another carseat to me?

Thanks in advance!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Welcome! Personally I'm a big fan of the Marathon and my first daughter rode in it comfortably from age 3 to 6. I think people just like to complain on those review :rolleyes: Though there have been some very, very large boys who are quite genuinely uncomfortable in that seat at about age 4. So I honestly wouldn't worry about it, it's very rare for it to be a real problem..and even then, it may be uncomfortable, but it's NOT unsafe, it just takes a little more digging to get the crotch buckle out, and a bit of loosening the harness to make it very easy to buckle, then you just tighten it up after you get him buckled in, no worries :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

My son is 4 yrs old, 42 lbs and he is still in his marathon. I love it. He still has plenty of room to grow. I've never had a problem with this seat. We've had it since he was 8 months old. They are great seats.

monzogary

Senior Community Member
My dd is 5 1/2, about 50 lbs, and can still fit in our MA. She rode in it just a few weeks ago on a short weekend trip on the drive home which was about 2 - 2 1/2 hrs, and even fell asleep. Yes, the crotch strap is on the short side, but we work with it. She has large thighs, and I just have to be careful when buckling so I don't pinch her legs, but once she is in, she's fine in the seat.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
My DS rode in DD's MA a couple of times last year, at slightly past 7YO. He didn't complain a bit. (Well, he did complain a bit about sitting in the "butterfly" seat, but he had to so that I could get a specific 3-across. :p But he didn't complain about how the seat fit him.)

monzogary

Senior Community Member
My middle dd is on the smaller side, but she fit the MA until about 7 1/2 yo. She never complained about it when I had her ride in it either. She was right at the top slots in this pic (please ignore the funny hair, she cut it herself!):

2423034705_dc230b4647.jpg

daniele_ut

We own 2 Marathons and DS is still riding in one in our babysitter's car at age 4.5 and 43 lbs. He really likes them a lot, but we've been replacing them with the Graco Nautilus so his little sister can use the Marathons when she outgrows her infant seat in a few months!

zeo2ski

Love the marathon! People will complain about anything on those reviews, but here on this car seat board the Marathon is one of the favorites!

From your DS's measurements, it sounds like he's big enough, but just check to make sure the harness is at or BELOW his shoulders when it's installed in the car.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The crotch buckle on the MA is shorter compared to some seats, but most kids find there is adequate space. I've never encountered problem in terms of the crotch buckle.

On the occasions that I have heard of people finding the buckle insanely short, and when the child is rf'ing, it's usually because the seatbelt has been routed wrong and it's on the wrong side of the buckle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC