Question arg! Please help me with a booster seat issue

mamoomorgan

I posted a while ago about looking for a clek for my 10 yo dd but I am still confused. She is 4'7" and about 72 lbs (thin to skinny, no bum). She is currently riding center position, second row in our Toyota Sequoia but will occasionally be in different spots (only spots with a head rest). Right now she is sitting between a rf TF and a seat that is flipped up and strapped to allow access to the third row.

Anyway, her PW won't fit in the spot, the darn TF is so wide and because the other seat is flipped it can't scooch over at all. So right now she is riding boosterless. I'm not totally confident she passes the 5 step test.

1. her feet are flat on the floor
2. her bum is right back
3. the shoulder belt is across her shoulder, but maybe a tad close to her neck
4. the lap belt seems a little high on her tummy
5. ..... no idea what this one is

Soooo, should I buy her a clek knowing they are only legal to 4'9". Is there another good booster I could get that might last longer? I like the idea of the "comfort cube" as we don't use our car very much but when we do it's often for long-ish trips and I want her comfy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you feel uncomfortable posting something contraversial (like that I can use the clek past the height limit) feel free to pm me. And BTW why is there a height limit??!!

Thanks in advance,
Morgan.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
A booster seat isn't going to magically fail standards once a child is past a certain height. I can't speak as for why the manufacturer has decided on that height - it may be conservative based on the average height of a vehicle seatback and wanting to ensure that there was proper head support behind a child, I really don't know...

What I can tell you, is that provided your dd has proper head support and the seatbelt fits her well, the booster is not going to perform differently because of her numerical height. Height limits are always given because manufacturers are required to list a height limit for the range of child a seat is designed to fit - but we all know kids are proportioned and built differently... So ultimately - in terms of safety, what matters is how she fits the seatbelt, if she is within the weight limit, and if she has head support behind her head to at least the tops of her ears. If all those things can be checked off, then the actual number for how tall she is isn't going to affect the performance in a collision.

Does that give you the info to make a decision?

canadiangie

Hi Morgan,

The outboard seat in your 2nd row is flipped up and strapped. Tell me more about that. What does your vehicle manual say about having the seat flipped up?

Reason I ask, is my suv doesn't allow the 2nd row seats stay flipped up while driving. I'm allowed to have them folded down and locked into place, but not flipped up. I'm assuming yours is flipped up to give access to the 3rd row.

In terms of the clek booster, as Trudy said, there's nothing overly significant about the upper height limit. Trudy covered everything I would say in that regard.

QuassEE

I'm fairly sure that the strap is a Toyota thing. The Sienna has it, as well, and I did use it (while driving) numerous times to restrain the seats. They're specifically designed for this.

-N.

mamoomorgan

We just got back from CT (and taking my lucky hubby to the airport on his way to Jamaica!) and we bought the Oto. Sage's bum fits fine and I think she has a bit of height growth room. It makes her feet not touch the floor which is a bit to bad, but what can you do.
One thing I wonder about is that it doesn't touch the seat back, we have it clicked in with LATCH and there's an inch or two between the vehicle seat and the booster, is that ok?
And unfortunately our CT wouldn't give a discount based on expiry date. I asked about Ozzi and he said maybe they'd have it in a few weeks and it would be $10 more.

Morgan.

QuassEE

The little gap is fine :) The Oto is still doing it's job.

I actually looked at the Canadian Tire on Hastings in Van that's closing down to see if I could spot one on major discount, but they were sold out.. :( That location has a bunch of stuff 50% off right now.

-Nicole.

mamoomorgan

Hey Nicole, I know we had sort of talked about getting together while I was in Van. And thanks for the offer, turned out my dd I had with me (8yo) had pneumonia so we didn't do any shopping/visiting/fun stuff etc. just ER's and doc appointments:(
If I end up getting another clek I'll see if it can have the jacket you want.

Morgan.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC