Question Use installed GN two different ways?

U

Unregistered

I was thinking I could install my GN using LATCH for my 3 year old to use harnessed. Then my 8 year old could also use the seat as a high back booster using the seat belt, without me moving or reinstalling the seat.

I have four children and often have several more in our car when we car pool and I have 5 car seats installed, but I need the flexibility of being able to seat my 3 year old in the second row when he is with me, but also my 8 year old in the same seat, when I don't have my 3 year old with me. So my question is: Is this safe? I realize it might not be as comfortable as a booster with the harness still in place, but is it a safety issue?

Also, could I install a Frontier and use it 2 ways as well (harnessed and as booster) depending on which child was in it? Does anyone do this?

Thanks so much in advance. I always find this board SOOO useful and appreciate your expertise!

Warmly,
Maria

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
You're not supposed to. I admit that I did it once in an emergency. I don't advocate using seats against the manuals, but this is a misuse that I would worry about far less than some others.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd be surprised if the head rest could be in the same place for a 3 year old and an 8 year old.

Also, Graco doesn't allow use of LATCH when the GN is in booster mode at this point in time.

When it comes to the Frontier, there is a screw you're supposed to remove from the headrest when using it in booster mode that needs to be there when used as a harnessed seat.

U

Unregistered

thanks for the great info. it would not be a problem to move the headrest up for my 8 year old. she can handle this herself and then i can just put it back for my 3 year old. what is the harm in leaving the LATCH connected when using it as a booster? just wondering the reasoning behind this.

thanks again. you guys are amazing!

-maria

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I suggest you call Graco about LATCHing the booster. Some reps say no, and some say to follow what is in your specific manual.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC