Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

why don't most harnessed seats have sip

Why do only booster seats have SIP and if a booster seat has SIP does that mean its safer than a harnessed seat that doesn't?
    Does SIP just mean that a seat has headwings?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

The 5-point harness does a good job at restraining the upper body and head, even in side impacts. A booster with SIP might be able to restrain the head in a direct side impact, but if the impact has any forward motion the head can still be thrown clear of the restraint system. You can find various crash tests demonstrating this. I would prefer a seat with a 5-point harness over a booster with SIP in most cases, though there may be exceptions. Installed and used correctly in the back seat, both should do a very good job at protecting their occupants and the differences should be relatively small.

SIP usually refers to head wings, but many seats also have increased side bolsters around the torso as well.

jane indy plus or parkway (based only on safety)

thanks for the response.
    Based only on safety - no looks, cupholders, even comfort - which one is safer or provides more SIP - i can't tell a difference.
    thanks

Impossible to say. I doubt there is much difference except that there may be some benefit for the Indy Plus if you are using LATCH for installation.

thanks for the responses

i'm going with the Indy Plus for the secondary booster and upgrading my Marathon to a Regent for my primary car (I noticed thanks to this board that she's over the harness slots - she's only 45 lbs so I thought I had a long time to go)
    thanks