Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    CPS Advocate

Re: Here is the new Graco seat!!

Ugh, that shell height isn't particularly amazing. If it's the one inch rule, than that officially rules it out for true ERF

I guess DD will be getting a Nauti after all.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Advocate

Oh Brendan's mom, do you consider the photo proprietary or would you mind if I shared it with my SafeKids director?

Is it reclined in that MA/MR pic? Cuz the MA is upright, right?

It's really a nice looking seat. That really is a slim base! Thanks so much for posting so quickly
    Cathy
    B-- 6.5y harnessed cowmoo FR85;
    Sl--5y RF RXT;
    H-- 2.5 RF RNXT;M--7mos CCOA--1 mos KF30 and R 1.5 RXT

Carseat Crazy

yeah, very disappointing. I was thinking I may get this instead of TF ARBs but not without another 4-5 inches added on top.

I bet graco made this seat with the american obesity epidemic in mind, not ERF 3-4 yr olds. (I did meet a 15 mo a few weeks ago who was 38lbs!! He needed this seat.) Not to get started on the obesity topic again, but really, it seems like the younger/heavier kids is who this seat is made for. Otherwise, why list FF starting at 20lbs?

I'd love to eat my words if it magically is very tall when installed though... *ahem* Need kids in seats!! *ahem*

ETA: I ditto the TF/SKR needs to get their seats tested up to 40, especially the SKR 80. You know that puppy could likely handle it, if they would just test it!!

Maria, mommy to DS 5/10/06 49lbs, 49" FF in britax parkway/recaro signo/GN DD 5/14/08 38lbs 40" FF in Meghan BLVD/RN XTSL flora/recaro signo
    and now welcoming DD2 12/10/12 RF in a keyfit

Carseat Crazy

Last edited by Brendan's Mom; 04-20-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Tasha, mom to Brendan, Colin and Brynn
    Brendan, 1/04, 68lbs monterey
    Colin, 8/07, 42lbs regent or radian
    Brynn, 11/08, 32lbs rearfacing in marathon

It seems to be designed more towards younger, heavy babies/kids than EFR.

Not super impressed.
    Emily (7.5) Monterey / Eleanor (4) Frontier 85 / Samantha (22 months) RF Radian

Ok so wait.

Graco is saying that when the child's knees bend RF you have to turn them around?! Hey Graco - thanks for perpetuating a myth we've been working our butts off trying to counter! That really ticks me off.
    DS Micah 7/12/11 in a RA 55

Approved to adopt Baby 2 and waiting for a match!

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan's Mom View Post

The manual states that the seat can be used rear facing up to 40lbs, but the top of head must be at least 1" below the top of the child restraint. It then goes on to say...When child can no longer comfortably fit and knees remain bent, child should use car seat forward-facing only if child is over 20lbs and can sit upright unassisted.

so uhh Graco...you made a seat to RF to 40 lbs, but then say if they are 20 lbs, can sit up, and their knees bend, you can turn them

Anyone else confused by that???

Get rid of the stupid knees bent thing! That has nothing to do with when it's time to turn FFing!

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
    S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
    J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50

That is QUITE the base on that bad boy. Talk about being up high

And no extra leg room. Like I was afraid...just a normal old convertible that happens to be rated to 40 lbs but that probably no 40 lb child could fit in.

Grrr....

But let me tell you, my kids would totally dig the cup holders.

And hopefully this will start the push for higher weight RFing seats from other companies. Competition is fierce in this market

Thanks for the pics!

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
    S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
    J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50

When child can no longer comfortably fit and knees remain bent, child should use car seat forward-facing only if child is over 20lbs and can sit upright unassisted.

Boo-urns, Graco. We all know what the average parent's idea of "can no longer fit comfortably" is anyhow, even without the bent-knee bit being right there in print. Seems like the pp's who suggested it's made with the obesity epidemic rather than long-term ERFing in mind were right.

However, they still get points for blazing the trail to 40lbs.

Big thanks, Brendan's Mom, for sharing all this!
    Lori, mum to:
    Duncan (July 6/07): 43.5", 42lbs, FFing in a True Fit

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Thanks for the pictures! I have to say, the 40 pound rear facing limit is exciting, but they didn't provide the shell for it. We needed a True Fit type shell to get it that high. And just shy of 17" top slots for a 65 pound seat? Disappointing. And it's GRAY! STOP WITH THE GRAY! I swear I'm going to go to Graco and take away all neutral colors from their paintbrushes. Go with blues and pinks and reds and oranges and greens and fun patterns. Black and gray is boring boring boring.

Methinks I'm still going to go with the True Fit.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

When child can no longer comfortably fit and knees remain bent, child should use car seat forward-facing only if child is over 20lbs and can sit upright unassisted.
    I've always seen that in CS manuals, too. Really, if they're making a seat that can RF to 40#, why do they have to include such outdated info?

I'm disappointed in the shell height, too, and in total agreement with whoever said this is geared toward the obesity epidemic, not toward true extended rear-facing.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Quote Originally Posted by BeckC View Post
    Ok so wait.

Graco is saying that when the child's knees bend RF you have to turn them around?! Hey Graco - thanks for perpetuating a myth we've been working our butts off trying to counter! That really ticks me off.
    That's not new wording in their manuals, though. It's been in there for years. They're just recycling their words. Not saying it shouldn't go, far from it, but I don't know how much of this manual was written from scratch.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

What's the bottom slot measurement? Does the infant padding add much height? My ds is 6 years old with a 15.5 inch torso at 45 pounds. This seat might work for me if it could fit in my van. I want the radian to rf to 40 pounds, though.

The manual states that the seat can be used rear facing up to 40lbs, but the top of head must be at least 1" below the top of the child restraint. It then goes on to say...When child can no longer comfortably fit and knees remain bent, child should use car seat forward-facing only if child is over 20lbs and can sit upright unassisted.
    That's pretty much the same wording as the ComfortSport. Except the CS leaves out the part about head 1" below, and only says tops of the ears must be below the top of the shell ... but then again, you can't use it at all (RFing or FFing) once kiddo is over the top slots.

It looks like it's going to be really, really high FFing. I'd like to see it installed FFing.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

CPS Advocate

I just measured my kid from her behind to the top of her head. She's a 50% for height three year old, and she's 23".

ERF. FAIL!

Brendan's Mom, you rock for the pictures, but I can only rep you once

Ok, having thought about it for a few more minutes, I'm not as disappointed as I was. It's still a Marathon of a seat at half the price. Tall slots, tall shell, decent weight limits. As long as it's easy to install I can see us recommending it as often as the EFTA and TF. But it's nothing exciting. Just what is now a standard seat at a good price.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

I can see this being a very useful seat for those kids who hit 35 lbs unusually early . A lot of kiddos hit 35 lbs and still have several inches of shell above their head in the marathon, those kids will be well served by this seat.

Nope, it's not what everyone wanted, but no seat is. IIRC there are other seats that say to turn when the childs legs are bent, etc. Like others have said, hopefully this prompts a change of tide in the car seat market. Most parents look at the "numbers" on the side of the box to see which is better. Car seat manufacturers are going to want the highest numbers, even if most parents won't use the seat to anywhere close to that limit.
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

Carseat Crazy

Last edited by Brendan's Mom; 04-20-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Tasha, mom to Brendan, Colin and Brynn
    Brendan, 1/04, 68lbs monterey
    Colin, 8/07, 42lbs regent or radian
    Brynn, 11/08, 32lbs rearfacing in marathon

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Ack, that wording dates back to at least the Century Accel's manual, the Century-branded predecessor and near twin to the Graco Comfort Sport.

DD2 recently weighed in at 40 lbs. and even if she were lighter, I don't see how she'd fit heightwise for ERFing in it.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 14, 65" 5 steps
    DD2 Age 11, 61" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar