Maybe stupid ???--When, *exactly* must you use a LOCKING CLIP?

heyruthie

i'm going to disply my idiocy here, most likely. is it whenever the seat doesn't have built-in lockoffs? or do you not have to use them when there are locking belts in the vehicle? thank you!

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
You know what they say... there's not such thing as a stupid question! ;)

A locking clip MUST be used when there is NO OTHER WAY of locking the vehicle's seatbelts (so no locking retractors or latch plates.) It's NOT a requirement of seats that don't have built-in lock-offs (so you don't necessarily need one on say, a Scenera.)

ETA: Basically, a locking clip shouldn't be NECESSARY on a car built after 1996 because from that point forward, belts were required to have some kind of locking mechanism (retractor or latch plate.) There are reasons one might CHOOSE a locking clip even when the seatbelt locks because it provides a better install. A RF carseat in a vehicle with locking retractors might tip for example, a locking clip eases that problem. My Caravan's lightweight locking latchplates don't hold very well, so I use a locking clip on them.

HTH! :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You must use the locking clip if the shoulder-lap belt does not lock.

Or if it only locks in an emergency.

Sometimes they're also used if a lightweight locking latchplate slips (though flipping the belt fixes that), or if a rear facing seat is being tipped by the shoulder belt.

Wendy

heyruthie

ok--this makes me feel better, because i haven't been using them in our '02 odyssey, which has locking retractors. i always seem to get good, solid installs, but i thought maybe i was doing something wrong :)

Pixels

A locking clip is required for a lap-shoulder belt with sliding latchplates and Emergency Locking Retractors. In this situation, there is no way to secure the lap portion of the belt so that it will hold the carseat tight, other than the locking clip.

It must never be used with a lap-only belt. If the belt locks at the latchplate, or at the retractor, using a locking clip properly will likely do no harm, but no benefit, either. And it is just one more opportunity for error, so the rule is don't use it if you don't need it.

BeckC

If you are using the locking clip on a seatbelt that locks at the retractor, the belt must be in the ELR mode (meaning not locked).

KiwiGem

Or if it only locks in an emergency.

Sometimes they're also used if a lightweight locking latchplate slips (though flipping the belt fixes that), or if a rear facing seat is being tipped by the shoulder belt.

Wendy

I have a 1998 Chrylser with the lightweight locking latchplate & have a seat which does not have internal lock offs. Would some please explain to me a bit further about flipping the latch plate to lock the belt off? Even better, a photo if possible?

Thank you! :)

BeckC

I don't have a photo for you, but I think I can help explain.

A locking latchplate locks when the belt is laying flat. There's a little bar in the latchplate that engages and locks the belt. In a lightweight locking latchplate, sometimes the belt will slip through a little bit depending on the angle that the latchplate is when it's buckled. Flipping the latchplate 180 degrees will allow the belt to lay flat so that it doesn't slip through.

Hope that helps.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Just take the male end of the buckle and flip it 180 after you've buckled and tightened. That'll put a twist in the belt and keep it from moving.

Wendy

KiwiGem

Wow! Thank you for the quick replies. There isn't anyone here in NZ who would understand enough to check that I've done this correctly so it's good to have a source of the correct information.

Will run down & have a play with the seatbelt now.

KiwiGem

Ok, so after reading what you said above & trying that out in the car, I'm still not sure I've understood... do you mean simply twisting the latch plate so it's inverted & then buckling it back up?

This photo shows how the seatbelt buckles normally on the Truefit with the internal lock off on the seat...

3451065573_e1a91c51d9_m.jpg

& here is what I have imagined you mean by flipping the latch plate on the Maxi II restraint but I don't think it's right :scratcheshead:

3451065095_dc7928b175_m.jpg

I do have a locking clip here on I can throw on but I'm just trying to save myself the stress & sweat & of having to do it!

brooklynsmommy

Another thing to compare locking latch plates to is buckles. Like the ones on your swing, stroller and such. When the buckle is perpendicular to the belt(making a T) the belt loosens freely. If you lay the buckle flat against it, it locks it and makes it so the belt doesn't loosen. You can still tighten it though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC