Is it me...

Dillipop

Or does nobody in Utah have their kids in appropriate restraints? I just got back from a 2 week trip to visit DH's family in Northern Utah. None of my DH's family realize the importance of seats. My MIL suggested we could save time by nursing my 3 month old in the car.:eek: I told her we couldn't because Gilbey had to be in his carseat. Her response? I nursed all my babies in the car. My response? You were VERY lucky! She agreed, but still doesn't get it!

While there, we stayed with my SIL and her family. She owns a husky, 2 evenflos, a cargo and a backless turbo. Her kids are 10 (severely disabled and until they got a conversion van last year, he was in the husky...he now rides in his wheelchair or a seatbelt), 7 (just seatbelt), 4 (same size as my 3 year old... about 35 pounds, in just a seatbelt) and 1 (ffing in an evenflo without the seatbelt locked!) We took her 4 year old with us a few times and made her sit in the cargo they had with the harness. She was NOT happy about it. She asked why she had to sit in the seat, I told her because she was too little to use just the seatbelt and that she was the same size as my Dillon. Her response was that she was 4 and DIllon was only 3, so she didn't need a seat! She rode in it anyway!

My other SIL was visiting, too. Her kids are almost 7, almost 5 and almost 3. I never saw a carseat in the car they were using.

While driving around town, I was shocked to see how many kids were without seats by the time they were 4. I think the law there is still 4 or 40. I know my inlaws will drive with almost any grandkid without a seat. Needless to say, they never took DS anywhere and anytime he wanted to go with SIL I personnally installed his radian in their van and made sure it was at the appropriate tightness for DS.

One more rant and this is about DH. He has only come on the bandwagon because of me. If I didn't tell him our kids are going to be in seats forever, he would probably be as lax as his family. While we were there, the cousins had a sleepover. DH went to pick up our son and while he was there, SIL called and asked him to pick up her 2 kids. He also was asked to bring another cousin back with him......we were renting a ford focus. You do the math. 4 kids under 12....1 radian and 1 safeseat base...the cargo was not in at the time. What would I have done? Left all the kids at the other house except DS and told their parents to transport them. What did DH do? Brought all kids over to SIL:mad: I did not talk to him for quite a while that day. When I asked him why he did it, he asked me what he should have done since his sis had asked him to bring the kids...I told him what I would have done. He said oh....that probably would have been the smarter thing to do.

Anyway, rant about family and seats over. On a positive note, my sis just had her first baby and had taken her car to a tech. I know her baby will be safe, since we have talked about the benefits of rfing and she totally agrees. And...DH has come around and has wondered why his family is so lax with the kids safety. He truly cannot figure out why none of them use seats, esp when they have a shed full of them!

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
UGH, it's frustrating isn't it? One of my daycare families is moving to Utah next week...they are going by bus and leaving all their stuff behind. So they are not taking car seats...I asked her if they will have car seats when they get there...and get this...she doesn't know! :eek: Said if they don't, they'll just drive 'illegally' to their destination (20mi) and worry about car seats the next day! The kids are 3 and 18mo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simplysomething

Said if they don't, they'll just drive 'illegally' to their destination (20mi) and worry about car seats the next day! The kids are 3 and 18mo!!!!!!!!!!!!

People don't seem to realize that there is a chance of a crash everytime we go somewhere.

I wonder how she'll feel if there isn't a chance tomorrow, because there was an accident in those 20 miles.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oi, I"ll refrain from commenting because it just wouldn't be pretty :eek: Poor kids *SIGH*

However, I think Ulrike (CPST here) is in Utah :confused: Perhaps there can be some sort of contact between parties :cool:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC