Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Question Options & possible options - 6 years, 43 lb.

Roman & Eva both fit in the Marathon until they were 7. Nadia just turned 6, and her MA expires this fall. I assumed she'd fit until then, but I'm not so sure right now. She's right at the top slots, and I'm afraid she's going to be too tall very soon, so I want to start keeping an eye out for seats that may work.

What are my options? She rides in the Parkway on occasion, but I don't think she's ready to ride in a booster full time. Which seats have taller slots than the Marathon? Is anything new maybe, possibly due out this year?
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Options & possible options - 6 years, 43 lb.

The Nautilus has higher slots. I *think* the Radian measures higher as well. But I also like to add real kid fits to the comments A couple weeks ago, we did a 'seat check' with A and J, just for fun. J was right at the top slots of the MA (on the verge of being over the top). He has a little room to grow in the GN (maybe about my finger's width). He has a tad more room to grow in the Radian (2, maybe 3 fingers width).
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

well, the good options (in varying prices) i can think of right off the top of my head are:

Graco Nautilus
    Frontier
    Apex65

Here is a thread to help you with some GREAT info:
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=55415

I think the True Fit, EFTA and Marathon can often be outgrown AROUND similar ages/sizes, so none of those are great options. I also think the Radian is just *slightly* higher, so you'd only buy a little time, considering how $$$ the seat is, and the fact that it doesn't convert to a booster.
    Ruth--Mommy to 4: Dominic, 10; Jacob, 8; Joy, 6, Gloria, 3.5. My babies are growing up!

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

If she's slim the Nautilus might work: if it isn't a super fit, try the Frontier.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

Senior Community Member

The SafeGuard Child Seat, SafeGuard GO, Radian, Nautilus, Frontier, Regent, Apex, True Fit and EFTA all have top slots higher than the Marathon.
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
    If she's slim...
    Yes. She's 49" tall, but weighs 43 lb.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

CPS Technician

Ian's close to the top slots of the Marathon last I checked and he is on the second from top slot in the Nautilus. I can check where he's at in the Marathon this weekend if you'd like, but won't have time before then.

Tina

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

These were all taken with her at about the same torso height, though different days for some of them, and sadly, different seating positions, too. But it should give you a general idea of how she fit in each one as she outgrew the MA.

MA:

RN (she's just above the 2nd-from-top slots here, just looks like she's below because she's got her shoulders curled forward):

GN (the stick is in the 2nd-from-top slots):

If no one else posts any, I can get comparison shots of her in the MA/Husky/Frontier sometime this week, too.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!