over 40lb 3yr old how unsafe?

juliebug

I watch a little girl who is over 40lbs but only 3yrs old. she is very big for her age. I have her in my radian in my care but her parents use a ff cosco that say to only use harnesses until 40lb they still harness her thou. so how unsafe is that?? I wan't to say something but i don't want them to go put her in a booster either. help. She is in no way ready for a booster.

ADS

Tara

Well, seats have limits for a reason. That's all the further it was tested and approved for. Will it still hold her in the event of a crash? If she's not much over 40, I'd venture to say, yes, it'll still hold her. But would *I* chance such? No!

Would they go for a pricier model like the Britax or Radian? Of course you know there are those two brands of 65# (or more if you add the Regent) limit seats. Or perhaps the Apex..provided their vehicle as tall seat backs/head rests to support the thing as is required. That one's cheaper than the other 2. And depending on a sale, that could be considerable.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It puts her into the realm of being a Cosco crash test dummy. It's rated to 40 pounds, at 40.5 pounds you get a new seat.

I agree with you, at 40 pounds and three years she needs a new seat. The Apex 65, with high headrests behind it in the car, would be the most cost effective solution. $100 on sale now (someone tell me where???). She could use a higher weight convertible, but since she's not going to RF in it unless a future sibling is in the works I'd skip them. Probably go straight to a Regent, actually. At 40 pounds at three years she may hit the 80 pound mark in it. $229 at albeebaby.com for a pretty discontinued print on a Regent.

Wendy

juliebug

I don't think these parents would buy her a new seat at all expecaily one costing more than $50 i do see them making her carseat a booster insted. they have a convertable one like that. I just wish i could make them understand to keep there child harnessed longer.

Tara

aaaah ok, now I see your situation
If you mention the girl being too heavy for the harness, they'll simply remove the harness as they have a combo seat.
And she's not ready for that yet.
So, if you kept your mouth shut about that, at least the girl would be harnessed. So, is her too high weight the lesser of two evils ??
Hmm that ... oy, well, no, not really.
I guess the best you could do is to politely mention your notice of her exceeding the weight limit and go on to politely mention your research saying how longer harnessing is better/preferred.
From there..just hope she can sit in a booster properly each and every time. Train her the best you can while you have her.
But chances are, she's not going into an ideal booster even. Most of the combo seats don't make great boosters...they generally have the wrong kind of shoulder belt guides. The ones that do not allow the belt to freely move as needed, the open slots. Instead they have giant plastic paper clip looking things.

mamato2

I asked the nanny of a little boy I'm to transport on a field trip tomorrow what type of seat he has. Her reponse was he's in boosters in his parents cars and harnessed in hers. I asked what seat and she didn't know, just that they were 'all the same'. I'm wondering now whether he should be in harness mode in his parents (if under 40lbs) or in booster mode in her car (if over 40 lbs). I can't think of why they'd use a combo as a booster if he's under 40 lbs. Don't you HAVE to be 40 lbs for those seats to use them as boosters? Are there any seats that give you a range of weight for use? (As in 20-40 harnessed and 30-70 booster...or some such thing??)
I want to be able to mention this 'discrepancy' of use if possible to one of the three adults if indeed there is some mis-use involved.
Thanks,
C.

mamato2

Bumping up...I know most combos must be used as boosters after 40 lbs, but can they be used as boosters before 40 lbs?
Thanks.....
C.

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
www.specialtybaby.com has the Apex for sale for 99.99. The one I had my day care lady buy for her grandson arrived today and it was dated 12/05, so it is almost a year old.. Now we know why they are on sale... Oh well. Anyway, that is the address for you if you wanted to check them out. Jen

mamato2

Thanks, 'Simply'. Interesting how care providers seem to be the ones who harness while parents often are already using boosters!
It's pouring rain and supposed to only go into the 50's tomorrow. Hope we still have this trip :) .
C.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC