People ignorant about car seat safety

U

Unregistered

Although I cannot claim to be as knowledgeable about car seat safety as you pros, I am nonetheless very well informed. And when I don't know or am unsure, I research the heck out of it and have even posted here previously to get info.

Anyway, my problem is my brother. He and his wife are ignorant about this whole issue and could care less to hear any input or advice from me. They have 3 kids aged almost 5, and 7 and 13 . Since the day they were born I have cringed every time I have seen those kids in car seats. I mean really basic stuff, but all very incorrect. The straps always bunched and twisted, and so loose that they could reach right through the middle with both arms !!!! Their torso was free of the straps!! I mentioned it countless times and explained, but to no avail. Always got told that their kids cried and complained if it was too tight.

The 7 yo was about to be seated without any booster at all about a year and a half ago because they found it difficult spacewise for the back seat of their midsize SUV (don't get it, but that's what he said) I assume it was because he was still using a car seat that was convertible to a booster (in booster mode) and therefore it was quite wide and bulky when the 13 yo had to sit in the middle between the two younger ones. I told him that he could absolutely not put his son in an adult seat belt and told him about the clek oto because it was nice and narrow. He actually agreed it would work and that is what he has been using since. The 4 year old is teeny tiny. She is like a feather. I would say she is the size of a three year old. She cannot weigh more than 30 - 33 lbs, tops. Maybe. This weekend I noticed she is still in an old Eddie Bauer car seat dated from 2002. Still same twisted straps. Installed without a locking clip, but at least with a tether. I tried to explain that this car seat was expired and that they needed to get her a new one. Explained how plastic deteriorates and that the seat might not perform well in an accident (never mind the improper installation and use of the straps so loose it's probably moot anyway). Again they ignored me, rolled their eyes and laughed. Like I'm a nut or something. And then told me it didn't matter that they would be getting rid of it now anyway because they are going to move her to a booster. I just shook my head, said she was too small and that the law states 40 lbs (in Canada) and my s-i-l said 'no it goes by height as well, and she's tall enough'. Well, first of all I don't think it goes by height (does it?) and even if so, she's a little bitty thing, not tall at all and way too small for a booster.

I'm just so angry and frustrated because all I want is to keep my niece and nephew safe, and they won't even try to listen to what I am saying. And really they would deserve to learn the lesson the hard way, except that that would mean their child would be hurt, and I would never wish that. Why are people so stupid??

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

Some people just won't listen. It helps to approach it in a 'been there, done that' kind of way, so you aren't saying they are bad parents (not that you would) but that you made x,y,z mistakes before too, and then you learned better.

Have they viewed any crash videos?

Here is one of an expired carseat in a crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvCRz7BRAM0

One of a booster vs. a 5-point harness crash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2kO8AxKbrM&feature=related

Belle's gift might be helpful for their youngest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04&feature=channel

Or visited KDM website? http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/

What about the latest article in 'Parents' magazine?

If you choose to share some of this with them (or others) be careful not to overwhelm them. Sometimes people just don't listen no matter what you say, sorry.

Joyofbirth

Since they are so interesteed in what their kids want when it comes to carseats, maybe you could appeal to your niece. Show her some pics of the cute girly nautiluses and talk to her about how safe she is in a harness that's nice and tight.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yep, you can't will them all. I was ignorant at one time also. Now, I try to tell people a car seat is a safety device, just like a cabinet lock. if not used properly, it will not work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC