which is the safER choice for a 10yo?

which is the safER choice for a 10yo

• front seat

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • position w/no head support & lap belt only

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

ginny4

its not possible to fit 3 across the 3rd row without buying new seats.
not an everyday solution just a rare occasion

oops i wanted to fix the 2nd choice as being the back seat with no headrest & lap belt

ok finding more things to add as being important info....the front seat HAS an AIRBAG. it can't be turned off either.

Last edited:
ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Install one of the harnessed seats in the lap belt position.

If there are all lap belts in the back, he is still safer in the back - BRB with a link - I am on Defrosts laptop and I can't do stuff on it as well....

WhatAboutPuppy

I say front seat because this a choice I've made for my DSS1, he's 5 so a HBB is involved but still, it came down to front seat with shoulder belt over the back seat and lap belt only. as long as there's no air bag!! of course... :)

Pixels

I don't have sources now, but the answer is the back seat with lap-only belt and no head support is safer than front seat with lap-shoulder and head support. I was surprised by the statistics, but that's the answer.

scatterbunny

I just can't wrap my brain around it, no matter what the statistics say, and when it came to choosing whether or not my dd sat in the back in a lapbelt with no head support or the front with a booster and shoulderbelt, I chose the front. And I'd make the same choice again if need be. :duck:

WhatAboutPuppy

So now I'm confused, because I had asked this question on here before... And everyone came to the conclusion that the front seat was safer than the back seat. Is it because he's only 5, stats in sig. that the answer was different?? I also don't know how I feel about him sitting in the back in just a lap belt in no seat. I could see her getting a ticket for him not being in a booster cuz he's not old enough... even though that would be less safe.

WhatAboutPuppy

I just can't wrap my brain around it, no matter what the statistics say, and when it came to choosing whether or not my dd sat in the back in a lapbelt with no head support or the front with a booster and shoulderbelt, I chose the front. And I'd make the same choice again if need be. :duck:

:yeahthat:

scatterbunny

WAP, you won't have to worry about a ticket, because the law exempts those with only lapbelts in the back from complying with the booster law.

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
I say the front with lap shoulder belt is safer than the back with only a lap belt. I know there are things that say differently, I just don't agree. Lapbelts are dangerous in my brain.

WhatAboutPuppy

Thanks scatterbunny. I didn't realize the exempt part... hopefully if I get into the CPST class I'll learn that! lol I still like him better up front the car is an old boat it seems like. lol he sits so far back from the dash in the front, it seems way safer than belt only and no seat in the back... for the same reasons you mentioned earlier.

ginny4

I change my vote, back seat. How is there an airbag on the passenger side and no shoulder straps in the back?? I'm confused.

the center position is lap only in the rear

2001 gr caravan

it gets royally confusing.....the problem is i couldn't get 3 across the 3rd row with the seats i have. the regent of course doesn't work at all. the other 5 pt is a FPSVD FF. & the 2 boosters are a turbo & monterey. i've tried i can;t get it & be able to buckle the boosters. the 2 boostered kids. almost 9 & 10yo. are too tall for the 3rd row if using a backless (shoulder belt is too low) & TOO short to be without a booster (lap belt too high & knees don't bend at edge of seat).
totally crazy!!

i was seeing if i could fit my big guys buddy in the van too on some rare occasions for a 15min ride in town without having to move EVERY seat in my van. KWIM?

my 94 i was able to do a 3 across better but i was using different seats. i can;t use those seats/same set up since one has been outgrown

i was trying to avoid trying to explian it all. LOL

Maedze

:yeahthat:

If it were a lapshoulder belt in the back with no head support I'd choose the back, but lapbelt only? No way. Front seat.

ginny4

thanks for the link i appreciate it - tho i haven't read it thru yet.....

i assume tho IF I COULD. i could put the FPSVD in the center with lap & MAYBE fit a lil bottom boy on the outboard so he can have the shoulder belt & headrest. that seems liek it is doable. a boys bottom is smaller than fitting a actually seat there too. while not the SAFEST (the lap belt may ride too high) it might be something i CAN do. i'll have to check that

ginny4

could you get an 86Y for the lap only back seat?

sure i could but i wasn't planning on buying anything to make it work. it's only a rare occasion i would like to be able to & want something i could do in a matter of minutes.

i hope that didn't sound nasty. i thank you for the suggestion

scatterbunny

Honestly, I would probably do a backless booster outboard third row for the shortest-torsoed boostered kiddo, next to the FPSV FF in the lapbelt-only spot, if it'll work. Even if it technically means the kiddo doesn't have adequate head support, I think having the shoulderbelt+backless booster to position lapbelt+sitting in the backseat is safER than either sitting in the back with only a lapbelt or sitting in the front. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC