Question 5 Step Test in Volvo 3rd row

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Anyone ever sit a 7-9 yr. old in the factory RF 3rd row seat in Volvos? I know we won't be able to sit the younger kids there & I'm hoping the bigger kids who usually use boosters will fit so that I can sit outboard center to keep the younger kids sitting properly in their boosters (moms won't even begin to entertain the idea of HWH) with other 2 moms up front driving & copiloting.

The 3 of us have 4 kids altogether, but we also all live below the poverty line. 1 friend's dad agreed to buy a car for her & this was the only car with front airbags that we could find which would also fit all 7 of us. Considering my kid & I will still primarily be using the bus, I didn't bother to push them to wait for a minivan.

I'm just hoping to get some kind of idea on how the 3rd row seats fit kids who should ideally still have a booster, but who are no longer legally required to use a booster :eek:

Also, got input on the parental decision to use a booster for a kid who doesn't yet pass the 5 Step Test on this seat?

We don't have a proper use clause here, so I'm thinking that may still be safer even if the booster manual says only for FF vehicle seats (since I've already checked that there isn't crash testing data to convince these parents otherwise: the kid might be a real life crash test dummy, but at least only for an undefined risk rather than the clear risk of seatbelt syndrome: preventing one known risk, possibly resulting in other unknown risks). My own kid can use the RSTV if necessary.

I'm worried enough that this is a crush zone, but am talking myself into feeling alright with it because it was designed this way by Volvo instead of it being an add-on item by a random company.

On a good note, I'm so happy that the kid who will be riding in this vehicle all the time will be in the center with Volvo built-in booster, headrest & shoulder belt :thumbsup: (usually rides outboard in older vehicles)

ADS

Pixels

This is NOT my opinion as a tech. As a tech, I say never go against the manual, which means no boosters on RFing seats.

As an individual, I'd rather see a child in a properly fitting seatbelt with a backless booster over an improperly fitting belt. A backless does nothing but lift the child up so that the belt fits properly. That function shouldn't (in my mind) be altered by being on a RFing seat vs a FFing one.

Then you have to look at head support. Would the child have adequate head support? If not, I probably would use a high back. If there is support without the booster, I'd rather not use the high back portion. With the back on, there is something between your child and the front of the vehicle that hasn't been tested, and may break, causing injury to the child.

So my personal opinion/preference is this: Nothing at all (just the seatbelt) if the child passes the 5-step test. If the child needs a booster to pass the 5 step test, then use a backless. If there is inadequate head support, then use a highback. Basically use as little as possible.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
(just the seatbelt) if the child passes the 5-step test. If the child needs a booster to pass the 5 step test, then use a backless. If there is inadequate head support, then use a highback. Basically use as little as possible.
These are my thoughts as well :thanx!:

It looked like these seats do have some kind of headrest, but I didn't get a good enough look to know for sure that they are adequate. I *think* it's like THIS

Pixels

The one you link looks aftermarket, to me. The color doesn't quite match, and I don't see any seatbelts.

Regardless, those seats are usually made for children, so it's more likely that they will pass the 5-step test back there than they would in a different vehicle/seat.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I don't see any belts for the middle row in that picture, either, but they are there somewhere -- that picture best resembles the picture of the vehicle. Volvo can add their own seats to some of their models, so that may be why the coloring is different, but our local dealer will not install anything other than the factory designed 3rd row seats, so I do not believe these are aftermarket.

I guess we will just wait & see . . . then, I'll share my reaction....

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ah, I knew there was a previous thread about this -- with link to "A Letter from the President and Chief Executive Officer, Volvo Cars of North America, on Safety" re: rear crash protection -- also, here's another picture of the factory installed seat (similar, but the shape of the trunks are also different, so maybe that's the 850 vs. 900 series?)

BW1426

I believe the seats are only good up to 80 lbs, just something to keep in mind.

Another thing to keep in mind is that volvos are notoriously a PITA for finding a hbb that fits properly. Too bad they couldn't find one that had built in booster seats.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I believe the seats are only good up to 80 lbs
Thanks, I was thinking there might be some kind of weight limit -- I'm assuming that's perhaps 80 pounds per seat/side/buckle, not 80 puonds total, right? My kid prob'ly won't reach 80# 'til middle school & the other kid is slightly smaller than her.
Another thing to keep in mind is that volvos are notoriously a PITA for finding a hbb that fits properly. Too bad they couldn't find one that had built in booster seats.
It's got the flip down center booster for the kid that will ride on a daily basis . . . although, ideally she would have a HWH ;) I haven't figured out yet if the center backless booster is better than a Compass B510 outboard -- assuming the B510 doesn't fit center. This PreK kid leans out/around regardless so I'm leaning toward the center built in backless booster. Hopefully the B510 will then fit outboard for the other PreK kid (who should ideally also still be harnessed, but neither kid is mine to make such decisions).

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The car is here & my skinny/leggy kid does need her booster & the RF 3rd row headrest is adjustable > she :love:s it! However, black leather + untinted glass = peeling tender thigh skin in summer for me :eek::eek:

Sadly, it does not have the optional built-in booster :thumbsdown: Although, the owner/driver's (~97th percentile height & weight) PreK kid does fit the outboard belt well in the Compass B15 :thumbsup: It does have side impact protection up front & the PreK kid would have been outboard in the booster in any other car anyway :shrug-shoulders:

The issue is now about the carseats we have available for the various kids who will be riding with us . . . another thread altogether :whistle:

Pictures soon....
:duck:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC