I have to put my three year old in HBB

nevaehsmommy

MY two restrained seats are in parent car. Did not plan to go anywhere thi week and then DD gets 104oF Fever. Doctor wants to see her within the hour....How do I make this situation more safe. I dont have any other options to then to use booter. Seat belt with shoulder and seat belt locks...

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Wow, a not-quite-3YO in her first booster ride ... tough situation.

Is there ANY way you can borrow a harnessed seat from a neighbor you trust, or something like that?

Is there anyone who can ride with you, and sit with her to ensure that she sits correctly? Or someone who can drive so that you can sit with her in th back?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Pull the seat belt tight on her hips and lock the belt.

Can your parents come pick you up and take you instead?

Can a friend or relative with harnessed seats come to give you a ride?

Could your spouse pick up the seats and bring them home to you?

I don't know how far away anyone lives/works, just tossing out some ideas.

mommaon112903

I really like the pp response, is there ANY way to get a harnessed seat for her?

I agree, this is a tough situation, but your dd does need to be seen. Do what you have to and here are prayers and postive thoughts for a quick recovery!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
FWIW I don't take my kids to the Dr. for a 104 temp unless they have alarming symptoms, signs of a bacterial infection, isn't responding to fever reducers or it lasts longer than a week. So *needing* to be seen is debatable. However since the Dr. wants to see her I am not arguing this point, but I wonder if the doctor would still want to see her if he knew she didn't have a safe way to get there.

canadiangie

I personally would try not to stress too much. Put her in, pull the lap portion of the belt tight over her hips, make sure the shoulder portion is across her chest properly, and manually lock the belt. She's sick with a 104 fever so I'm guessing she's not overly energetic. No it's not ideal, but you have to do the best you can with what you have. Hope she gets better soon.

nevaehsmommy

I live in the country. No one has a child in a car seats around here. Mostly Amish. I will be riding with my sister. I will be in the back seat but her daughter is in the middle in the infant seat.

She has had the fever for 4 days now. Even with tyenol it only goes down to 101-102 range. I am not a big supporter of tyenol or doctors, but I love her doctor. Trust her judgement. She is an awesome lady. Told me not to turn DD FF at a year to wait tell max on seat. To reconider weaning her at 18 months and to continue. To read up on herb and and DO MY OWN RESEARCH.

Last time she wax feverish like this she had double ear infection/double pnemonia (sp?)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm especially concerned because if she is not feeling well, she is not likely to focus on sitting properly in a seat.

I also agree with Gypsy -- why does the doctor need to see her? What is he looking for? Can he call in any scripts he was planning and you can have them delivered?

nevaehsmommy

Sister is trying to track down my dad, he has the scenera in his car. He works for the county so he could be anywhere within 50 miles or so

nevaehsmommy

While your sister is trying to track down an appropriate seat for her, read these
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082100.asp

http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&action=detail&ref=832

I rear and re read the dr. sears site last night.

It seems like when I try to wean her she gets REALLY sick. Once it was sinus infection *not a big deal* then the next time was ear infection, next time was the ear infection/pnemonia right before DN was born. I think her body knows he till needs the breastmilk and is re-acing to not getting it?:twocents:

And yes again I am trying to wean her.

J-max

CPST Instructor
Glad you found a seat :)

Just an idea - when you go in, you might have her tested for a UTI. That is one of the only times my kids get super high fevers and nothing really gets them down more than a few degrees. My kids have genetic renal reflux and no real other symptoms of UTIs until they get bad and have an almost septic response. Also, only 1 of my ever got a UTI when they were nursing, but once we stopped or greatly decreased - BAM they they were. Just an idea - so many of the symptoms sounded like my kids.

Hugs, I hope she feels better soon.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Good job on nursing so long. I am tandem nursing a just turned 3ds and just turned 2dd. I am feeling ready to wean ds, but I don't know if he is ready.

Glad you got your seat.

MomToEliEm

Just an idea - when you go in, you might have her tested for a UTI. That is one of the only times my kids get super high fevers and nothing really gets them down more than a few degrees. My kids have genetic renal reflux and no real other symptoms of UTIs until they get bad and have an almost septic response. Also, only 1 of my ever got a UTI when they were nursing, but once we stopped or greatly decreased - BAM they they were. Just an idea - so many of the symptoms sounded like my kids.

High fever (104+) for many days was almost always a sign of a UTI for my kids. Tylenol never seemed to bring it down very much either.

Definitely get a check for a UTI while you are in the office.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My daughter had a seizure at 103.5. She had a kidney infection (the UTI she'd had a month before was resistant to the antibiotics, and it got into her kidney.)

nevaehsmommy

You guy ought to be doctors:p

She had a UTI, left ear infection, and posibly the start of lung infection. She was put on an antibiotic and breathing treatments.

I thought she was having a seziure at one point she was sleeping and twitching and thrashing like crazy, I think her fever was just making her uncomphy even in her sleep.

So I think I am going to buy a cheap seat to keep at my sisters house so I dont have this issue again.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Good idea. Or your house, in case it's not your sister who has to give you a ride but in a true emergency a neighbor, etc.

We have only one car so I have a ton of extra seats, so I'll always have one to fit whatever kid needs one in whatever car we go in. (Well, that and I love car seats, lol.)

nevaehsmommy

I was thinking her house bc I go into town and ride the buses. If I venuture over to her house we end of riding all over town and would still need a seat....

*maybe* I need to buy two. One to keep at home, one to keep at her house.

4 seats for one child? Not to many is that? How do I justify that? LOL

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC