Do you wash your infant seat before using the first time?

Do you wash your infant seat fabric before using for the first time?

• Yes

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 54 85.7%
  • Clicky box!

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

essnce629

When I was pregnant with Conner I washed the cover to his infant seat before he was born. I didn't want any chemicals or anything from the factory on it. I've never washed any of his other carseat fabrics before using them though. I have my new Chicco Keyfit for baby #2 and I'm debating whether or not to wash it first. What does everyone else do?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I haven't. They have a flame retardant that is supposed to stay anyway. I only wash when they are dirty.

Mommy0608

Mine is sort of a yes/no answer. I didn't wash the whole cover, but I did wash the little head support that came with the SS1 for Tyler because he has eczema and that part comes in contact with his head/face. I didn't wash the rest because his clothes will protect him for the most part, and I wanted to preserve the flame retardant properties. When summer comes and he's wearing shorts and short sleeve shirts, I'll wait to see if it causes a reaction before I decide to wash it.

monstah

No. I didn't wash my new KF for this baby. Mostly because I just don't feel like it.
Since she is supposed to be a June baby, a lot of her skin will come in contact with the cover so I may wash it after she is born. I just don't think it is necessary.

I did take it out of the box and plastic so it can "air out" for a few weeks.

Pixels

No, I didn't wash it until it needed it because it was dirty.

I do wash clothes before wearing, but you're in contact with them for hours and hours at a time. Carseats, they're just not in them all day like with clothing. Plus the child's clothing will protect the majority of the body. Even if they're wearing shorts and a tank top, arms and legs move, meaning the same spots on the body aren't constantly in contact. Same with the face/head, the hair protects the majority, and babe will move his or her face so the same spot isn't touching all the time.

If I noticed a reaction, then I'd wash, of course.

Mom2three

I didn't with DD, and I don't plan on it this time. Call me lazy, but at least I took it out of the box to air out...and to play with.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I did. I wanted to get off any excess chemicals.

I'm not a big fan of fire retardants in general :duck:. In any case, it probably takes much more than one washing to remove the fire retardant properties entirely. I just felt better with at least one washing (mainly in terms of off-gassing, not so much contact with skin).

WhatAboutPuppy

I'd let it air out and the wipe it down, I don't know if it'll do much but that's what I'm comfortable with. I wouldn't wash it personally.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Nope. But I also didn't wash her clothes, her diapers, or my slings. I never used Dreft or anything for babies. Just washed clothes and carseats and slings as necessary, same as I do for me.

Wendy

babygirlsmom1005

Yes, due to the reason that both my DD and my Husband have extremely sensitive skin, even if we go clothes shopping with my DD and she is touching clothing on the racks, she'll break out from it and her eyes get puffy, etc.....the fun of allergies and sensitivities. I don't want to chance it with the new baby on the way already knowing how they react to different things, so everything that comes into this house, the first thing that happens is it gets washed to keep their skin sensitivities under control.

Just washed it once, let it airdry and put it back onto the carseat before installing it into the car.

IDK what we're going to do when she gets her Frontier since I heard the cover is not washable (or is this mis-information?)

cpsaddict

Nope, but it has been sitting out of the box for nearly two months now. I don't smell anything on it at the moment. It just didn't occur to me to do that! I did wash all the clothes and diapers, but I needed something to do!

Nope, didn't realize there was an issue. It did air out for a couple of months, but that's just cuz I wanted it installed extra early.

We wash clothes though. Just never thought to wash sofas, car seats, and other things like that.

babygirlsmom1005

Nope, didn't realize there was an issue. It did air out for a couple of months, but that's just cuz I wanted it installed extra early.

We wash clothes though. Just never thought to wash sofas, car seats, and other things like that.

LOL we have covers on our couches that get washed every couple of months - LOL, so yeah I may go overboard, it keeps the allergies in the house down to a min. by getting rid of the dust and such in them.

essnce629

Thanks everyone! It looks like most people don't usually wash their infant seat first. I'm still not sure what I'll do. It's already installed in the car and everything, but I can obviousely just take it out to wash it all. Conner has really bad eczema and I really hope that this baby doesn't, but we have an extremely allergic family so baby already has an increased risk of having some type of allergies. I also wash all of baby's clothing, diapers, bedding, slings, etc first. I also wash my couch cushions' covers a lot, but that's mostly because Conner is always slathered in Aquaphor and is constanly getting grease marks all over everything! I actually think he already got a grease mark on the Keyfit!

Kat_Momof3

yes and no (aka... clicky box)

I didn't do it before Damian... but I would always wash it before giving it to the younger siblings... the seat has been stored and probably collected some dust.

I washed the covers and wiped down the straps with baby wipes before Jeffrey and before Ruthie.

I know this is probably about brand new seats for that first baby... but thought I'd add this.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC