Which car for 3 across?

Mumoflittleguys

We need to replace DH's '84 Civic. It's thoroughly unsafe for the children to ride in, and it's falling apart. Due to budgetary constraints, these are the vehicles we're considering:
2000 Toyota Camry
2000 Nissan Maxima
2001 Honda Civic
2002 Nissan Altima

Of those, I'm assuming all but the Civic will fit 3 car seats across. From what I can tell, the 2002 Altima is the only one with LATCH. It's also the priciest of the 4, but seems like it will be the best deal. Does anyone have experience with any of these vehicles? We have 1 kid in a Regent, 1 in a RF Marathon, and in May, we'll have 1 more in a Chicco KeyFit.

ADS

ajweeks

My mom has a '95 Nissan Maxima and it is fairly roomy so I think it could fit 3 across, but I don't think a Regent will fit in a 3 across combo in any of those cars. In my mom's car, I sit in the backseat with my two kids in a RF RA and a narrow booster and it is tight.

babychild taxi

3 across

Hi,

I'm not sure what car will work, but just wanted to let you know that I am able to get 3 across (FF Regal Ride, Parkway booster, RF Regal Ride) in my 4 door Echo. It's tight but can be done and using LATCH for the carseats. I can't say whether it would become bothersome everyday since I only have 3 kids (that I help out) on the weekends.

HTH

mamato2

We have a '95 Camry and I don't think you'll get two other seats in along with the Regent. I do think that maybe if you used a Radian (which someone on the board just successfully installed in a Camry outboard) instead of the Regent you might be able to do it. I haven't looked into exact measurements but it seems to me the newer Camrys are wider, at least on the outside. That may translate into a wider back seat.
C.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Maximas have struck me as having fairly wide seats and I bet it is the best shot for 3-across of those you mention. Of course, it depends a lot on the layout of the seat and seatbelts, too. It will really come down to which carseats you have and how they arrange in any particular model.

The IIHS report mentions that 2000 models manufactured after November 1999 have structural and airbag improvements.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC