how do you price a used seat?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Take the original price (not a sale price if you bought it on sale) and divide that by the number of months the seat is good for. Then multiple that number by the number of months left of life.

So say you have a $200 seat with a six year lifespan, and it's got 2.5 years left. 200/72=2.78. 2.78*30=83.4. So I'd sell it for $80-$85. If the cover is dirty then subtract some money for that. If it's a rare cover add some money for that.

Wendy

Splash

That is a good way, but the way *I* do it is base it on the price they can buy it for now online. So, they can get a BV for $330 at BRU but $220 online. I base my price on the $220 figure, because most people aren't going to buy used for 20-30 bucks less than new, especially on a car seat.

skylinphoto

Look up how much it normally sells for now. And just take a reasonable amount off. Just like if you were to sell your car used. How much life does it have left? What kind of condition is it in? Was it well taken care of? That kinda stuff.

Just think about how much YOU would spend on it if it were used...

Splash

Just think about how much YOU would spend on it if it were used...

None, because I wouldn't buy a used seat :p

Actually, I traded a brand new (well, six months old) Regent for a 4.5 year old RA. Great trade, too! So obviously what I would "pay" for a used seat is a bit screwy!

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
None, because I wouldn't buy a used seat :p

Actually, I traded a brand new (well, six months old) Regent for a 4.5 year old RA. Great trade, too! So obviously what I would "pay" for a used seat is a bit screwy!

What made you make this trade? I don't get it.

Maedze

The six year rule is only good for new in box items. If the seat has been used, your asking price needs to reflect that.

For example, I have a Wizard that expires in two years.

Original price of the seat= 300
Price per year= 50 dollars per year (out of 6) of use
Price for a new in box Wizard=100 dollars

But the Wizard has been a primary seat for two different kids almost every day for the last four years. It's not worth 100 bucks, not even close. I could probably justify selling it for 40-50, though.

heyruthie

The six year rule is only good for new in box items. If the seat has been used, your asking price needs to reflect that.

For example, I have a Wizard that expires in two years.

Original price of the seat= 300
Price per year= 50 dollars per year (out of 6) of use
Price for a new in box Wizard=100 dollars

But the Wizard has been a primary seat for two different kids almost every day for the last four years. It's not worth 100 bucks, not even close. I could probably justify selling it for 40-50, though.

:yeahthat:

Splash

What made you make this trade? I don't get it.

I had a Regent I no longer wanted and didn't want to go through the hassle of selling. Someone I know well had a RA that had been through two kids and she no longer needed it. She wanted a Regent for when her youngest is FF, I wanted a RA to use for a few months before I could install the BV more upright RF. I don't plan on using the seat more than six months, so the expiration mattered not. She wanted the Regent, I had the Regent... I wanted the RA, she had the RA. We traded. Did I get the bum end of a deal? Well if you look only at what I could have sold the Regent for based on what the RA is worth, then yeah I did. But I got what I wanted, she got what she wanted, and the boys had a playdate at the aquarium and no one had to meet strangers in the Target parking lot.

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
Cool, sounds like it worked out great. I knew it had to be a good story.

I had a Regent I no longer wanted and didn't want to go through the hassle of selling. Someone I know well had a RA that had been through two kids and she no longer needed it. She wanted a Regent for when her youngest is FF, I wanted a RA to use for a few months before I could install the BV more upright RF. I don't plan on using the seat more than six months, so the expiration mattered not. She wanted the Regent, I had the Regent... I wanted the RA, she had the RA. We traded. Did I get the bum end of a deal? Well if you look only at what I could have sold the Regent for based on what the RA is worth, then yeah I did. But I got what I wanted, she got what she wanted, and the boys had a playdate at the aquarium and no one had to meet strangers in the Target parking lot.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC