Taking tech class next week...

~goob~

CPS Technician
not sure if this is the right place to post this...

I am taking my tech class next week. Anything I need to do before going?

What should I expect from the class?

Also what kind of breaks did you get? I am a nursing/pumping momma! I plan on emailing the instructor, but havent gotten that far.

Thanks!

ADS

jodibug

I am also taking it next week and I am so excited!

I am also a nursing-pumping mama, but I am trying to stop pumping at work anyway (baby is 13 mos old) so I'm not as worried about pump breaks- only if I am feeling engorged!

I am also trying to find out how to prepare for the class.... so I will follow your thread.

Good luck next week!

(My class is April 22-25 in Columbia MO)

~goob~

CPS Technician
Jodibug we will be in class together!

Do you know where exactly it is? I keep expecting a packet or an email or something with more info...

Pixels

To prepare: Clean out your car, and get plenty of rest. Come prepared to learn, though if you've been hanging out on here a lot, there's a good chance you already know 90% of the material.

All you really need to bring is a pen or pencil. Textbooks will be provided.

I'm pretty sure there was a morning and afternoon break (about 10 minutes), as well as the hour lunch. In my class, there were only two female students, me and one other. The other was pumping. The class was in a fire hall, and she just spoke to one of the female firefighters (who was one of the people observing the course to become an Instructor), who made arrangements for her to have a private area to pump. So just speak to your instructor and/or a representative of wherever the class is being held.

Don't expect to get anything in email or snail mail between now and class. The location should be in the class listing on the SafeKids website, where you signed up for the class.

Last edited:

~goob~

CPS Technician
HAHA

Clean out my car and get plenty of rest. Maybe I should cancel while I am ahead...

The car part I can probably manage if it ever stops raining.

The rest... and 8mo and a 2yo niether of which sleep thru the night. I dont remember what its like to be rested...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The cleaning out the car part is important. You'll be using students' cars to install seats in. So you don't have to clean it, but your fellow classmates are going to be climbing around in there (including your glove box to go after your manual).

Wendy

jodibug

Jodibug we will be in class together!

Do you know where exactly it is? I keep expecting a packet or an email or something with more info...

Awesome! Can't wait to meet you!

Boone County Fire Protection District
2201 I-70 Drive NW

I don't have any idea how to get there, DH and I will be in Columbia this Saturday and I plan to do a drive by then so I know where to go.

I live in JC, are you in Columbia?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Not tons, but it helps a lot, especially if you have an odd car for carseats (like the mid 90s GMC Jimmy which didn't allow for carseats in the back middle, but the instructors had us doing it anyway to get experience with the ALR lapbelt).

Wendy

WhatAboutPuppy

I don't think my car's funky... it's actually the car they use in the FN's manual. lol
'03 Honda Element. There is NO middle back seat and LATCH and top tether for both rear seats.
I'll search hard. I can order one right? but I'm assuming it costs a pretty penny.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The only thing about the Element I could see being a question is, can the backseat be reclined when installing it a seat? Should it be reclined (some cars require the seat to be two clicks, others don't care, others say it has to be at least as upright as X)? Otherwise nah, it's pretty straightforward. Don't stress about ordering a new one.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I won't have my car with me for my class. :shrug-shoulders: I have a nursing baby, too.

I should probably e-mail my instructor about the nursing at some point, you think a week before to inquire about the break schedule is appropriate?

Pixels

I won't have my car with me for my class. :shrug-shoulders: I have a nursing baby, too.

I should probably e-mail my instructor about the nursing at some point, you think a week before to inquire about the break schedule is appropriate?

Not having a car isn't a huge deal. It's just that they like to use them for demos, but not everyone's gets used. Half my class were cops driving cruisers, and they couldn't use those, so pretty much everybody else's cars got used. But everyone has the option to say "no, you can't use my car."

A week ahead of time sounds good. Far enough in advance to give them some warning, not so far ahead that they'll totally forget about it.

~goob~

CPS Technician
Jodi- Its on the outer road by the mall.

So I read the other thread (thanks!!) and it looked like there was conflicting info on whether or not to keep your seats installed. I KNOW on day 2 I will be transporting my kids so I will need them.

WhatAboutPuppy

Good question!! Lol Once upon a time when I had a RF Eddie bauer AOE seat thingy I reclined the seat quite a ways (3 or 4 clicks)... let me tell you, that made for an EASY install!!! I had a tech tell me that 2 was the limit. I've lived by 1 or 2 clicks ever since. No clicks is just way to upright... almost leaning forward it seems.
But I've never read it in the manual. I'll search it out!!

Thanks for the info though. :) Forgot all about that.

Side question... I haven't heard back from the instructor yet so really I'm banking on getting in based on my application and that I had it faxed in the day after she emailed me the app. and posted it on the safe kids website. How long should it take to find out if I'm accepted or not?

Pixels

Definitely check the manual for each vehicle. I know there is one (a minivan, I think), that says it has to be SEVEN clicks back for a child restraint.

It depends on how long it takes them to work it all out. I know that doesn't help much. When you're registered, your SafeKids site will reflect that. I forget exactly what it says, possibly something like "Technician Candidate."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC