Question What would you do about a new seat for a newborn?

Which seat should baby come home in?

• The current style True Fit (assuming one can be found with a new manf. date)

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Suck it up and get an infant seat and then wait for the True Fit ARB

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • Bring him home in an Uptown, then buy a new True Fit ARB

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Skip the True Fit altogether and buy a an EFTA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clicky Box

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
My original plan was to buy a new True Fit ARB for our baby who is due in June. I had planned to skip the whole infant seat route because my other two kids only used the infant seat for 4-5 months anyway, and I rarely ever used it to carry them around.

Last month, we called Learning Curve/Compass and they said the seat was going to be released in April (which we now know isn't true) and took a 20% deposit on one from us. Now that the seat won't be available until sometime in June, I have to figure out a new plan.

What's your opinion?

ADS

skylinphoto

I would either suck it up and get an infant seat ..than the seat you really want.
Or, I'd bring him home in an uptown and then get the seat you really want.

I would probably get the uptown (assuming it will fit your newborn well) ..because it will be a good spare/second seat long after the infant seat would have been outgrown. More for your money that way.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I thought the Scenera and Uptown both have ~10" bottom slots? Why would a Scenera fit a newborn better?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The Sceneras straps don't get tight enough on most normal sized nb, I wouldn't get it. The Titan fits small babies well, the Triumph does too but I hate it for the most part. I said suck it up and get an infant seat, but do you know someone you could maybe borrow one from?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wouldn't spend the $$ on a regular TF when you really want the ARB. I'd get a Scenera if you don't like the infant seats.

BeckC

If the TF ARB is the seat you really want, then I'd get the infant seat and then the TF ARB.

heyruthie

i say get an infant bucket.

if you're already going to pay $50 for something like a Scenera (or more for the other convertible options) just shell out the $$$ for a Snugride with EPS, and then give yourself the OPTION of using the bucket to carry the baby around.

I used my bucket MORE after I already had a toddler, at times. It's just nice to have the option to keep the baby asleep when you move him/her out of the car, etc. I always like to keep my options open. If you decide you don't like the bucket, get the ARB when it comes out, and you'll basically be down no $$$, since you're already planning to get something else.

Then, sell the infant bucket to me for my July baby :D

emandbri

Do you have an infant seat you can borrow from friends or family? Someone you can trust when they say the seat hasn't been in a crash and tell you they haven't put the straps in the washer? I would do that.

Ruth has a point as well. It also would be handy to have an infant seat when it gets hot in the summer. You can keep the seat inside and not worry about putting the baby in a hot seat with hot buckles.

nevaehsmommy

Just want to throw out that our local hospital REFUSES to send newborns home in Converitables.

More then one mom was sent to walmart (1/2 mile down the road) to get an infant seat, while I was there.

vonfirmath

Would they send them home in a convertible if they brought the convertible in to the hospital and put the child in? This is what most hospitals require for convertible babies. I don't see how they can REQUIRE an infant seat unless they are paying for it!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Would they send them home in a convertible if they brought the convertible in to the hospital and put the child in? This is what most hospitals require for convertible babies. I don't see how they can REQUIRE an infant seat unless they are paying for it!

Yeah, as long as the baby fits the seat, they can't require a different one. In fact, in most states, as long as you HAVE a seat, even if it doesn't fit the baby, if it's a rear-facing seat they can't require a different one. They can recommend you get a different one, and they can call the cops if yours is expired or way improperly used and report it once you leave-- but they can't make you get a different one before you can leave, and holding you or your child there because they don't like the type of car seat you chose is unlawful imprisonment. If they try it, threaten to call the cops, because it's illegal for them to refuse to let you leave for that.

As for hot buckles, instead of an infant seat I recommend a reflective cover or plain white towel for that. We live where it gets above 100 every summer and often have to park in the sun; we cover our kids' seats with a white towel and they've never gotten so hot that they burned the kids or even made them uncomfortable when we properly covered them.

christineka

I'll second covering the seats while not in use. Dh has to park in the driveway in the sun. During the summer and fall I just drape towels or sheets over the car seats and it prevents them from becoming too hot. Sceneras often go on sale at kmart for $35-40. You'd be hard pressed to find and infant bucket seat for such a low cost.

lukensophie

Senior Community Member
Thanks ladies, Dh spoke with a customer service rep again yesterday and she gave him a shipping date of June 6. The baby is due at the end of June, so that will be cutting it really close. I have a friend with a Keyfit that I may may be able to borrow for a short while.

From a practical standpoint, I really don't want to buy another infant seat. This is definitely our last baby, and I didn't get much use out of an infant seat the first two times around. My other kids will be almost six and nine, so it's not like the bucket seat will make things a lot more convenient for chasing a toddler.

I had mentioned the Uptown/Avenue because while I could see using a Scenera as a secondary seat, it just doesn't look comfortable for bringing home a newborn. There is no head or body support.

As for leaving the hospital, I definitely plan to have a copy of my CPST certification in my bag. The hospital has techs, and I don't think it should be a problem.

Thanks so much.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC