Questions about becoming a tech....

jodibug

I am taking a class April 22-25, so hopefully I will soon be a CPST.

First, a couple of questions about the class.

There are six instructors listed. All six of them work for the highway department or the fire station, this is their "just the job" to them.

I had one of these techs check my seat awhile back, and she told me that I had to take the tether off of my Blvd.

nevaehsmommy is also in my area and had an experience with another one of the instructors, who told her to turn her daughter FF (around 16 mos, I believe?) since it was easier to get a good install.

So I am going into this class with the pre-determination that these techs are all about legal requirements instead of best practices. So how should I prepare for that "battle"? Should I "arm" myself with some print outs about best practices?

Then.... once I have my certificate...

Since this is not for my job, and I just want to do it because I care about kids being safe..... how do I talk to people about letting me check their seats?

I plan to get a business card made once I have a certificate number, but beyond that.... do you just stalk people in parking lots?

ADS

celtic1885

Hello. congrats on taking your class this month. I was just certified end of February so not sure I can be too much help, hopefully others more experienced will chime in.

I was wondering the same questions, do I say anything "challenging" in class and a fellow tech gave me the heads up to be cautious in what I said and how I approached things. The lead in my class didn't like "know-it-alls". I have to admit, as someone who has done training for my job, I would prefer that a student approach me individually rather than put me on the spot in front of everyone. Since you've been on this board, you will probably have more knowledge than most of, if not all, the people in your class. Your knowledge and how you present it could be intimidating to some.

I just did my first check two weekends ago, and took a page from a different thread on this forum. I asked the techs at the event if they taught basic minimums or best practice.

In regards to doing seats by myself, it will be a while before I do that. I did do a check for a friend this weekend, installed then had her install the seat, but really want to be more comfortable, especially liability wise, prior to just doing random seats by myself.

Good luck

jodibug

I just did my first check two weekends ago, and took a page from a different thread on this forum. I asked the techs at the event if they taught basic minimums or best practice.

I like this idea.... and, I am curious as to what answer you received!

I hadn't thought about the liability issue much..... I am glad that you mentioned that.

I'm just not sure how to get involved with more seat check events so that I can get the experience I need.

Q.) Do all classes end with a seat check event? I think I read something like that on SafeKids, but haven't noticed any seat check event corresponding with my last day of class.

I don't want to be a "know it all" in class, and realistically I am pretty shy and probably wouldn't say anything anyway. But once I have the legal minimum requirements down, and have my certificate, how can I stay up to date on best practices? (aside from reading here)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think it's generally a bad idea to stalk people in parking lots, lol. I mean, I'm a big girl, and I'd not be likely to take it well if someone stopped me and gave me a card for a weight loss clinic.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Every class ends with a check. It's part of the class.

Get involved with your local Safe Kids. They'll have checks where you can get experience. For me I do mostly private checks and it's usually moms on my local mommies boards. Then they talk to their friends and family and I get spread around. LOL I do presentations at schools and for groups, so I get people that way. There have been some weeks where I've done eight different private checks. Others I do none. In NC I did a public check or two a year, but here in WA I'm doing at least one a month until the summer. And the techs I work with here are best practice (heck, some of them have their name on the cover of the LATCH manual!).

As for liability, provided you don't take money for what you do you're generally covered under the good samaritan laws. Especially since the parents are the last ones to touch the seat. So you turn into nothing more than being info on a website like this. "I read somewhere that you should...." So legally they haven't got a leg to stand on. Also, find paperwork to download and fill it out and sign it and have the parents sign or initial that they understand what you taught them. It's not a lot of protection, but it's some.

Wendy

remken

The class I just took at least 2 of the instructors work for our police department here. They and the other instructors all taught best practice. So you might be surprised.

I'd just go in there with an open mind. I had awesome instructors though who didn't seem to mind us asking questions though.

jodibug

Every class ends with a check. It's part of the class.

Get involved with your local Safe Kids. They'll have checks where you can get experience. For me I do mostly private checks and it's usually moms on my local mommies boards. Then they talk to their friends and family and I get spread around. LOL I do presentations at schools and for groups, so I get people that way. There have been some weeks where I've done eight different private checks. Others I do none. In NC I did a public check or two a year, but here in WA I'm doing at least one a month until the summer. And the techs I work with here are best practice (heck, some of them have their name on the cover of the LATCH manual!).

As for liability, provided you don't take money for what you do you're generally covered under the good samaritan laws. Especially since the parents are the last ones to touch the seat. So you turn into nothing more than being info on a website like this. "I read somewhere that you should...." So legally they haven't got a leg to stand on. Also, find paperwork to download and fill it out and sign it and have the parents sign or initial that they understand what you taught them. It's not a lot of protection, but it's some.

Wendy

Thank you! That is some good advice. Make sure that the parents are the last ones to touch the seat.

I will try to be somewhat involved with the local Safe Kids chapter, but the nearest one is about 30 miles away, so it won't be on a weekly basis.

Out of curiosity, how many checks do you have to do in a year to maintain your certification?

I am more interested in doing private checks in my own town. I thought about talking to my pediatrician and giving her some cards/flyers that she could pass out to patients who seem interested in a car seat check.

jodibug

oh, and can anyone point me to a sample form to have parents fill out?

I know I signed one when I had my seats checked (by a "minimum standards" tech), but that was ages ago and I have no idea what all was on it.

I know I've got awhile before I need this info, but I'm anxious to start helping people as soon as I can. This morning I printed out 50 copies of the new AAP reccomendation to rear face to two years and I am going to keep that in my car, maybe leave a few in the car seat section at Walmart. I would like to see them hanging in each exam room at the ped's office as well.

Pixels

I had a nice reply written out hours ago, then I had internet problems. Grrr.

You've had contact with one instructor, and heard about a second one. There are four more instructors. And the attitude of the lead instructor gets picked up by everyone, so as long as the LI is about best practice, the others will probably fall in line, at least for the duration of the class. What I'm saying is you don't know for sure what to expect, so don't get yourself all worked up for a fight you don't even know you'll have, KWIM?

As for after class, there are liability forms online that you can download, and there are some in the back of the student manual. Stalking people in parking lots doesn't work well (parents get defensive pretty quickly, and often don't have time) but hanging out in the carseat section of BRU (or other B&M store) does work. The parents are often overwhelmed with selection. You can point them in the right direction, and after you've let your expertise show through, you may just be asked for a business card.

jodibug

I
What I'm saying is you don't know for sure what to expect, so don't get yourself all worked up for a fight you don't even know you'll have, KWIM?

I know you are right. I need to go in with an open mind.

However, I would also like to make sure that these two instructors are corrected in these area's before the class ends, KWIM?

Oh, and I wasn't really going to stalk anyone..... kidding, people!

But..... would you/ should I bring up the fact that both my Blvd and my RN80 CAN be tethered RF'ing? (obviously waiting to see if the LI is going to bring it up first)

Last edited:

Pixels

Thank you! That is some good advice. Make sure that the parents are the last ones to touch the seat.

I will try to be somewhat involved with the local Safe Kids chapter, but the nearest one is about 30 miles away, so it won't be on a weekly basis.

Out of curiosity, how many checks do you have to do in a year to maintain your certification?

I am more interested in doing private checks in my own town. I thought about talking to my pediatrician and giving her some cards/flyers that she could pass out to patients who seem interested in a car seat check.

oh, and can anyone point me to a sample form to have parents fill out?

I know I signed one when I had my seats checked (by a "minimum standards" tech), but that was ages ago and I have no idea what all was on it.

I know I've got awhile before I need this info, but I'm anxious to start helping people as soon as I can. This morning I printed out 50 copies of the new AAP reccomendation to rear face to two years and I am going to keep that in my car, maybe leave a few in the car seat section at Walmart. I would like to see them hanging in each exam room at the ped's office as well.

I don't have a SafeKids in my area, either, and so there aren't really any check events. It was sorta lonely, until I discovered another c-s.o tech lives less than two miles from me! But I haven't done any private checks yet. As soon as I get my stuff together (my own check form, and kit), I have a friend I'm going to talk to about checking his seats.

You have to do 5 installations (RFing infant, RFing convertible, FFing, booster, LATCH) and have them signed off by a CPST-I every 2 years for recertification, plus community education (which you can satisfy by working one 2-hour check event), CEUs and pay a fee. That's it.

There is no new AAP recommendation. That was all a misunderstanding/miscommunication.

Pixels

I know you are right. I need to go in with an open mind.

However, I would also like to make sure that these two instructors are corrected in these area's before the class ends, KWIM?

Oh, and I wasn't really going to stalk anyone..... kidding, people!

But..... would you/ should I bring up the fact that both my Blvd and my RN80 CAN be tethered RF'ing? (obviously waiting to see if the LI is going to bring it up first)
There's a decent chance your vehicle will be used as a demo vehicle. Have one of your seats installed RFing tethered, manual handy, and use that as an opportunity to bring it up, if it isn't mentioned in class. Or, when they're discussing how to install a RFing convertible, ask if you can use the top tether. If the answer is flat-out "no," then go home, "read" your manual, and come back the next day with questions. You know, "I was looking at my manual last night and found this ... but you said that ... Could you explain, please?"

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
As pixels said, you need five checks. When you sign up for a public check ask if an instructor will be there. Both times I've needed my five seats I've gotten them all in one day.

Our Safe Kids in NC met monthly with checks probably three times a year. Here they meet quarterly or semi-annually (I can't remember, I haven't had a meeting yet) and they do occasional checks, but mostly seem to focus on all safety aspects, not just seat checks. My checks here are with Car Safe Kids. So see if there's another coalition in your area besides Safe Kids. Check the hospitals and see if they have checks coming up, same with BRU (they often sponsor Safe Kids to do an event in the parking lot, it's good for their business since we can send parents inside to buy appropriate seats). If they do call and ask who is putting them on. If you see the local PD hosting a check ask if you can help out. I've worked with my town's police before (and they followed me around like puppies, I should have worn a car-seat.org Borg shirt).

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Liability is something that will vary by state, definitely check it out before you start. (I know I won't feel secure doing private checks, even if the parents do all the work and I have a well-written disclaimer, until I have liability insurance due to a ruling last year here in CA that the good samaritan laws apply to medical assistance only-- which I think is idiotic, but there you are. And insurance can be hard to come by; I may end up having to figure something else out... Because there are very few checks in my area.)

I agree that if I were teaching a class I'd like a student to bring things up to me privately before making a big issue of it in front of the class.

If they're really hostile I think pixels has good ideas on how to bring things up "innocently", though I'm not sure I'd feel able to be that deceptive, even for a good cause; I'm a pretty open person. ;)

capeKO71

My 2 cents... being the ONLY non-municipal tech in my area -

Take the class, keep quiet.. feel free to ask questions, but don't be Mrs. Know it all... it won't help you, it won't help the class generally. I realized real fast that most of the folks taking the class don't even have kids... have never touched a car seat... they have no idea. We're starting with an edge already.

If they are using the new course materials, they should be at least taught the "best practices". Keep in mind, most of these folks are going to be doing "real life" checks - which generally do not include 3 year olds rear facing... as much as we'd like it too...

If you want to take something up with an instructor, do it privately during breaks.

Once you get your certification, then you can make your mark. Find the folks who you want to work with...ect...

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
I agree with this. The less talking you do the better off you will be in the long run. Just listen, learn what you can, and take the tests. Don't fight with the teachers, it will get you put on the black list really quick, and you can never get off.

My 2 cents... being the ONLY non-municipal tech in my area -

Take the class, keep quiet.. feel free to ask questions, but don't be Mrs. Know it all... it won't help you, it won't help the class generally. I realized real fast that most of the folks taking the class don't even have kids... have never touched a car seat... they have no idea. We're starting with an edge already.

If they are using the new course materials, they should be at least taught the "best practices". Keep in mind, most of these folks are going to be doing "real life" checks - which generally do not include 3 year olds rear facing... as much as we'd like it too...

If you want to take something up with an instructor, do it privately during breaks.

Once you get your certification, then you can make your mark. Find the folks who you want to work with...ect...

sparkyd

I was certified about a month and a half ago, and while I'm super keen to do everything I can to encourage best practice and get seats installed properly, I feel I need to go one step at a time and get more experience before I start really throwing myself out there. I feel like I knew a lot going into the course, but the reality is that prior to the course my only install experience was with my own seats (Graco Snugride, Marathon, True Fit, all rear-facing, all with LATCH). Likewise, the info I've paid the most attention to so far is information relevant to my own situation, meaning I don't know much about about what boosters are available in my area, and I know very little about actually using and installing FF seats (other than theory and book knowledge, I mean). When we did our clinic after the course (a real one with actual parents and children coming in for help), I installed 6 Britax seats which was great because it was well within my comfort zone, but it didn't expand my horizons very much. All that to say that I know I need to get out there and work with other techs at clinics and road side checks so that I can learn more about different kinds of seats in different kinds of cars so that I can feel comfortable that I'll be doing the right thing and giving the right advice in all kinds of different situations. I'm only saying all this because it sounds like you are an eager beaver just like me, but you might want to reign yourself in a bit until you are sure you've got the experience you need to do the awesome job that you clearly want to do. Or maybe you've got way more real-life experience than me already and are ready to go. ;)

As for bringing things up in class, I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for opinions on things like RF tethering just to see where these techs are coming from on issues like that, but keep in mind that some issues (like RF tethering [in North America] and harnessing up to 80 lbs) don't have a real right or wrong answer because they haven't really been studied properly so far. There are some very well-informed, best practice kind of people that remain unconvinced that either of these things are necessary/safer. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC