Need advice, please (ex's poor choices)

abttrflykss

I apoligize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

I've been having issues with my ex and his "priorities" since we separated last year. His daughters safety doesn't seem to be high on his list, and it doesn't help when I try telling him how to do things differently (meaning he doesn't listen to me).

Anyway, y'day at Church he informed me that he is getting a new truck. He has/had a '95 Blazer, but it kept breaking down and he doesn't have the money to fix it. So he was selling his truck for $500 and buying a truck for $500. That wouldn't be bad, but the truck is an older style truck....which doesn't have an extended cab. I told him he is NOT putting my girls in the front seat of a truck! He said he will do what he has to. I told him I'm selling my truck ('95 Jimmy) to get something newer. His reply? "It won't pull the camper". I told him its the same truck as his, and he said his truck barely pulled their "new" camper. Hmmm...so your saying your CAMPER is more important then your daughters riding in a SAFE vehicle?? Granted he uses the camper *maybe* 2-3 weekends out of the month for about 4 months. This is why I'm so grateful that he only has my girls 4 days out of the month, b/c of his poor parental choices.:thumbsdown:

My question is, does anyone have any info to back me up on why the girls should NOT ride in a reg cab pickup truck? I doubt there are any laws about it, but I'm in PA if there is anything about it. Since its an older truck, I don't think there will be concerns about a passenger airbag. (Our '95 trucks only have driver side airbags).

I know "back in the day" when we were little, half of us didn't even ride in carseats, let alone some that didn't even wear seatbelts. Which seems to be his line of thinking...just b/c things were don't differently back then, doesn't mean they were the best choices.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, opinions or advise.

ADS

Mommy0608

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I can't imagine the stress you're feeling. :( Kudos to you for trying to find a way to keep your children safe.

There are a few reasons that kids are safer in the back. One of course is air bags, but if there are no air bags in the front seat, that point is moot. Another reason is that the back seat is father from the point of impact in a frontal collision.

In situations where there is no other choice, there are a few tips that will help. One is putting the seat as far back as possible... we usually recommend this when there is a front air bag, to keep them away from it since air bags can be dangerous for young/small children. In this case, it would keep them away from the dash/windshield in a crash. Also, if they fit in a harnessed seat, that would be optimal (as opposed to a booster or just a seat belt). This will help hold her upper body back in a crash. A seat belt will as well, but there is more opportunity to be out of position prior to the crash (leaning forward, sideways, etc.) whereas a harness holds her torso upright all the time. EDITED TO ADD: I see now that you have two girls, one in a harness, and one in a booster (sorry, missed your sig stats the first time I read the post, oops!) If the driver's seat has an air bag, I'd put the harnessed child in the center and the booster child outboard. Another point to consider is that boosters can only be used with lap-shoulder belts (never a lap-only belt!) so if the center seat has a lap-only belt, your boostered child HAS to be outboard (assuming the outboard seat has a lap-shoulder belt).

I'm sure others with more truck experience will be along soon. Good luck to you, I hope you can talk some sense into him.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
In your place, I'd pick another battle.

While it would be safER for the girls to ride in a vehicle with a rear seat, a properly restrained child can be safely transported in a pickup. Let him win the battle for what vehicle he drives, in return, ask for his commitment to best practice car seat use at all times.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I agree. What he's doing is legal. If I was divorced, I don't think I'd want my ex having any sort of say in what I drove.

abttrflykss

Thanks for all the replies. I know I should pick my battles, but his choices are always in ways that pertain to HIM more then anyone else. We've already buried one child (our son passed away from SIDS) so I'm not willing to bury another over his negligience (sp).

I just can't understand why his GF won't give him some money, since there's a chance her 2 kids might have to ride in the same vehicle.

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
Trucks are not unsafe for both of girls to ride in. Put the harnessed seat in the middle and the booster on the side with the shoulder belt.

mfrasier

You might point out that if he wants to do something with his gf that they wont all fit in his truck and defiantly not if she has her children along. Maybe pitch the back seat to him that way.:whistle: also if it is a standard it is going to be hard for him to shift with anybody in any form in the middle.

babygirlsmom1005

I agree, trucks are not unsafe and a properly restrained seat will be fine in a regular cab truck. When I had my daughter, that is all my DH and I had was trucks (90 and 91 model Chevrolets with no airbags), we had no other choice due to we couldn't afford to go out and purchase another vehicle with a backseat. The carseat was properly installed rearfacing and it stayed that way for almost 2 years before we found the Surburban that I drive now.

If he is in a financial bind, there is a possibility the vehicle "you" want him to get won't fit the needs of his lifestyle (like pulling a camper, etc...), and purchasing 2 vehicles will totally be out of the question. He's not putting your children in danger by having them ride in a truck as long as they are properly harnessed in proper seats, etc.....

WhatAboutPuppy

We've let DSS1 ride in a truck, just made sure the air bag was turned off. The truck was large enough and the seat was pushed far enough back that he wouldn't have hit anything.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC