Uptown, Uptown, How I Love Thee :)

LuvMyCharlie

I've been having difficulties deciding which seat to travel with(in my siggy) because DS has outgrown the CS and Scenera, both RF and FF. :thumbsdown: I thought about buying and Avenue, even talked a friend into buying it off of me if I did:whistle: but just couldn't do it for some reason. Anyway, I was at Big Lots the other day by chance, and saw they had Uptowns. Yeah, we left with one.:whistle: I love it. His shoulders are even with the top slots but since he's RF, it doesn't matter. He's got plenty of shell above his head and lots of leg room. It's so cushy and soft, and lightweight. I think it might be my new favorite. :eek:

IMG_9306.jpg

Best shot I could get of him 'resting his head.' LOL
IMG_9309.jpg

IMG_9489.jpg

IMG_9300.jpg

ADS

miraclebabies

Oh.. I always thought I would try one out to see if my 24# 2yr old would fit well in it. Your little boy is sooo cute and looks very happy in his new seat. Love it, I should buy one as my spare and get rid of my crappy Scerena... hate that seat.. Anyway very cute..

Splash

I went to BL looking for one, never could fine it. Don't need it, don't want it anymore (got a RA instead), but I was looking... I love the cover on it so much.

LuvMyCharlie

Wow. Looks like he has more room above his head than in the MA. Does he?

I would venture to say 'yes' although I've yet to take an actual measurement. The reason for this, I think, is because the UT's shell is rounded at the top and the MA's is more flat across. Here's a pic for comparison:

2807_1039977808332_1492140001_30107835_4698303_n.jpg

AtTheSouthDam

I'm jealous. I have been to every Big Lots in my area searching for one so I can return the scenera and have yet to find one. Comfort sports, 3in1, even an air booster that tempted me for DD1 but no uptown as of yet. It looks like a great spare.

BeckC

You suck, I was wanting to buy that Avenue off of you. lol Charlie does look happy in the Uptown though and it'll be perfect for the plane. :)

loufrando

What are the top slots on the Uptown/Avenue's again? I'm always tempted to grab one as a spare to replace the spare CS.

Your little guy is so cute by the way!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Isn't it a great seat? That's our primary spare (yes, she has more than one, lol) for my outgrew-the-scenera-at-9-months daughter. :)

Splash

What are the top slots on the Uptown/Avenue's again? I'm always tempted to grab one as a spare to replace the spare CS.

Your little guy is so cute by the way!

I don't know the exact measurement, but I know that Charlie has roughly the same amount of room in the Avenue and Marathon. His shoulders are absolutely squished in the Avenue though and I would not make him ride in it even if he fit weight wise (pretty much the only seat I've ever seen him grow our of by weight) because he'd be so uncomfortable with the SUPER narrow shoulders.

jujumum

Our Big Lots only has a display model of the Uptown - the seat looks awesome and the cover is simply yummy!:)

LuvMyCharlie

IIRC, one of the reviews here said the top slots were 16" WITHOUT the cover on. There is quite a bit of padding all over the seat, though, even on the bum area(at least half an inch). I looked at him again and he's not *quite* even with the top slots. One good growth spurt, though, is all it will take. He already has a 15" torso, even with the 3rd slots on the MA. But regardless of what slot he's on in the UT, he's got TONS of overhead room. Yay!

ETA: The BL I went to had at least six of the UT's. If anyone is in/near Jacksonville, FL, it is the BL on Atlantic. :)

niccig

We love our Uptown too. DS is nearly 4.5 yo and FF. I moved him up to the top harness slot, as he was just even with the slot below. He has nearly 2" of torso growth and tonnes of head room. I do hear people about the narrow shoulder width, but that won't be a problem for all kids. DS has never complained about the seat and prefers it over the Safeguard and Como. It's a great travel seat and I think many kids would get to over 3 in it. My DS is size of average 3 yo, so that's why we can keep using it and probably will until he is 5 years old. Our friend's son who is 4yo but height of 6 yo so he wouldn't have lasted long, but Dr. is predicting he will be 6'5". So, it's not a seat for bigger kids, but it works fine for average kids.

ETA. Charlie's torso is 15" and he's 35" tall. My DS is 2 years older at 35 lbs, 39" and torso of 13.5". Just shows how kids are sized differently and how they fit differently in the seats.

skylinphoto

Ohhhhh. I wish I had a reason to get one...but, we just bought a stupid scenera! And to top it off we had to drive around to THREE different targets to find the pink cover dh wanted...(super target on beach blvd ended up having ONE in stock..so, we flew there..lol). I'm so mad..I should've gotten an uptown! Dh would kill me if I told him that now though....:)

LuvMyCharlie

We love our Uptown too. DS is nearly 4.5 yo and FF. I moved him up to the top harness slot, as he was just even with the slot below. He has nearly 2" of torso growth and tonnes of head room. I do hear people about the narrow shoulder width, but that won't be a problem for all kids. DS has never complained about the seat and prefers it over the Safeguard and Como. It's a great travel seat and I think many kids would get to over 3 in it. My DS is size of average 3 yo, so that's why we can keep using it and probably will until he is 5 years old. Our friend's son who is 4yo but height of 6 yo so he wouldn't have lasted long, but Dr. is predicting he will be 6'5". So, it's not a seat for bigger kids, but it works fine for average kids.

ETA. Charlie's torso is 15" and he's 35" tall. My DS is 2 years older at 35 lbs, 39" and torso of 13.5". Just shows how kids are sized differently and how they fit differently in the seats.

Isn't it amazing?

Ohhhhh. I wish I had a reason to get one...but, we just bought a stupid scenera! And to top it off we had to drive around to THREE different targets to find the pink cover dh wanted...(super target on beach blvd ended up having ONE in stock..so, we flew there..lol). I'm so mad..I should've gotten an uptown! Dh would kill me if I told him that now though....:)

Or, you could just not tell him...:whistle::D

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I measured mine's slots at 16.5 or a bit more. Don't know why the measurements come out so different. I know my daughter who has about 1/2 an inch left before the top slots on her Radian is just at the Uptown's top slots now. (But, she now has other spares-- SafeGuard, RSTV, and Radian-- so I passed it down to be one of the baby's spares.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC