Weight loss

mommaon112903

Josef had been doing an awesome job at keeping on weight, after fighting for years to pack on and keep the weight on, until just recently :( Just two weeks ago he was pushing the scales at 41-42lbs, today when I weighed him he is down to 35lbs :eek: We had to start restricting carbs in his diet due to a nasty yeast infection in his gut (carbs and sugars feed yeast of course) and *most* people do not lose weight while doing this, but of course Josef has to be the one that does lose weight. The car seat nut in me first thought "oh no, what do we do about him in his Monterey now?"...he still fits great in it and does a great job in it-but this is the only other seat we have for him. Thankfully this is Easter break and he will not be going anywhere unless it is in my car.

I do worry about him and his weight loss, while I was fine with him in the booster at over 40lbs (even if it was only a lb or two) now I am worried, yet should I be? I know that boosters are rated as low as 30lbs (including the Monterey) but still, that seems so, well light.

Should I keep him out of the booster as much as humanly possible until I can get some meat packed on him again or is this just a needless worry on my part? Thanks everyone!

ADS

Tyler'sMom1117

We had to start restricting carbs in his diet due to a nasty yeast infection in his gut (carbs and sugars feed yeast of course) and *most* people do not lose weight while doing this, but of course Josef has to be the one that does lose weight. QUOTE]

I'm confused. :confused: Restricting carbs and sugars make *most* people lose weight. That is why so many people follow a low carb diet...to lose weight. I also have the problem with yeast and I totally understand. A yeast free diet is very restrictive and would be really hard for a kid not to lose weight, unless you can get him to eat a lot of veggies and protein.

mommaon112903

The children that I know, and have read about on the net usually end up gaining weight because of all the protien/fats they eat (eggs, bacon, sausages, red meats), and Josef is one of two children that I know that has either lost or has not gained weight. This is just A LOT of weight to lose so quickly for such a little man. The best protein source we have for Josef is eggs, and he dosen't even like those very well :( I hate to put him back on a "regular" diet, but if the weight loss continues we will be forced to. And then we get to deal with the lovely effects of yeast in the gut, nice, huh?

We had to start restricting carbs in his diet due to a nasty yeast infection in his gut (carbs and sugars feed yeast of course) and *most* people do not lose weight while doing this, but of course Josef has to be the one that does lose weight. QUOTE]

I'm confused. :confused: Restricting carbs and sugars make *most* people lose weight. That is why so many people follow a low carb diet...to lose weight. I also have the problem with yeast and I totally understand. A yeast free diet is very restrictive and would be really hard for a kid not to lose weight, unless you can get him to eat a lot of veggies and protein.

canadiangie

I'm in Canada and swayed a bit by our 40lb min to use a bpb.. that said, as long as he sits well, and it allows the seatbelt to fit him well then I'd say it's probably fine. I'd be more concerned about his diet and how it might be affecting his weight. FWIW, the fastest way for me to lose 5lbs is to cut carbs and sugar. And from what I understand, the majority of a child's calories should be coming from complex carbs. Fill me in on why your ds has an issue with too much yeast in his gut. I'm confused. :eek:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I've dealt with the yeast issues and diet a bit, and I'd definitely recommend finding a different way to kill off the yeast for your son. I know the diet is highly recommended and it's considered The Gold Standard (understandably) but if he's not reacting well to it, there are other options.

Are you under the guidance of a professional with this? When I had to quit the yeast-cleanse diet that was helping eliminate my yeast problems, I went to a naturopath who offered another plan that worked nearly as well. I still restricted some types of foods, but I was finally able to eat enough to grow my baby (I was pregnant at the time) and keep the yeast at bay! :)

skylinphoto

I would personally feel fine with a child that old under (but near) 40lbs in a booster. My kids will probably be 6-7 years old before they hit 40lbs. I mean, look at their stats in my siggy. My dh didn't hit 40 lbs until 6.5 years old either.

And I feel ya on the weight issues. My dd is FTT and hasn't gained more than 1lb in 6+ months. And my son has low oral tone and that in turn means he has issues with eating. Good luck on the weight stuff. :)

mommaon112903

Josef has an abundance of yeast in his GI tract from numerous causes, but the main one being on antiboitcs much of his first three years of life. And Josef is a crunchy food seeker (thanks SPD!) so foods like pretzles and crackers are FULL of carbs, yeast feeds on carbs (certain ones, especially complex carbs), so he is one yeasty kiddo.

We are doing massive amts of probiotics (60 billion CFUs today so far!), SacB, Digestive Enzymes and a yeast cleanse product that has TONS of good yeast killers in it. We have been doing this since Thursday evening, so far no massive die-off :( I am hoping to be able to get some massive die-off of the yeasties while he is on Easter Break, because like you know die-off is NOT good during the school year (diarrhea, bad behaviors, etc). We will continue with the probiotics and enzymes once break is over, but not the extent we are now.

There are not any docs near us that are "up" on their yeast fighting treatments as we would like, so we do this with the aide of his pedi-who just pretty much told us to do what we needed to, a lot of help, huh?

I can not have him losing weight like this, he was a FTT toddler (un-known food allergies causing what is called a leaky gut) and I refuse to go thru that again. If restricting carbs is causing this much weight loss already, we will HAVE to go back to Josef's "regular" diet minus the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet). Yesterday I did allow him to have more carbs, and today he is up to 36lbs :thumbsup: True, a lb is not a lot, but the 7lbs he lost was A LOT of weight for a kiddo who only wieghs 42lbs.

For anyone who is interested in learning about yeast and the diet pecanbread.com is a great place to start.

Thanks everyone for listening and advising me on the booster situation! Hopefully we will be able to pack the weight back on sooner than later and my heart can rest a little bit ;)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Oh wow, poor guy. :(

Do you think your ped would be willing/able to do a culture? My naturopath discovered that I had a very odd strain of yeast, that was immune to several of the hard-hitting antifungals, like Diflucan, gentian violent, etc. But it was very vulnerable to Nystatin, which is weird because so many strains are resistant to Nystatin. Anyway, I'd never even tried it because I had "severe yeast overgrowth," and everyone (including me) just assumed it would be Nystatin-resistant. The Nystatin made ALL the difference - I had horrible die-off just from the first very small dose.

Anyway, good luck getting him yeast-free, and glad you found what you were looking for with regards to the booster. :)

babygirlsmom1005

Josef has an abundance of yeast in his GI tract from numerous causes, but the main one being on antiboitcs much of his first three years of life. And Josef is a crunchy food seeker (thanks SPD!) so foods like pretzles and crackers are FULL of carbs, yeast feeds on carbs (certain ones, especially complex carbs), so he is one yeasty kiddo.

We are doing massive amts of probiotics (60 billion CFUs today so far!), SacB, Digestive Enzymes and a yeast cleanse product that has TONS of good yeast killers in it. We have been doing this since Thursday evening, so far no massive die-off :( I am hoping to be able to get some massive die-off of the yeasties while he is on Easter Break, because like you know die-off is NOT good during the school year (diarrhea, bad behaviors, etc). We will continue with the probiotics and enzymes once break is over, but not the extent we are now.

There are not any docs near us that are "up" on their yeast fighting treatments as we would like, so we do this with the aide of his pedi-who just pretty much told us to do what we needed to, a lot of help, huh?

I can not have him losing weight like this, he was a FTT toddler (un-known food allergies causing what is called a leaky gut) and I refuse to go thru that again. If restricting carbs is causing this much weight loss already, we will HAVE to go back to Josef's "regular" diet minus the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet). Yesterday I did allow him to have more carbs, and today he is up to 36lbs :thumbsup: True, a lb is not a lot, but the 7lbs he lost was A LOT of weight for a kiddo who only wieghs 42lbs.

For anyone who is interested in learning about yeast and the diet pecanbread.com is a great place to start.

Thanks everyone for listening and advising me on the booster situation! Hopefully we will be able to pack the weight back on sooner than later and my heart can rest a little bit ;)

My DD has food allergies aswell (dairy, soy, wheat/gluten and eggs), we have struggled with her weight for a long time due to a lot of the "duh, feed her X because of the protiens, fats and calories, etc..." is not a option for her.

For that crunchy SPD stuff (she has SPD aswell, of the fun of textures), she eats nuts, she loves the crunchyness of them once I have baked them (IDK if that would be a option since IDK if he has allergies or not) Since most carbed foods are totally out due to her wheat/gluten allergy and then we don't have dairy to fall back on, it's just finding those right alternatives. Raw green beans are another one of her favs. since they are very crunchy (I cannot stomach them raw, she loves them, same with raw carrots and other raw veggies including raw onions).

She is 3.5 years old and bounces from 28 to 32 lbs on any given day. We're happy just to have her to the weight she is now (last timed weighed fully dressed with shoes was 31 lbs).

HUGS I hope you can get his weight figured out!!!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't worry about the weight. I know it's 4/40#, but if you were fine w/ him in the seat before, those few # aren't going to change anything IMO. I just went wheat free and I too have lost like 7# in the past 2 wks or so, good for me, bad for Josef. Evan is tiny too, 34# at almost 4.5yo so I understand the worry there. He had leaky gut too, but we got that fixed soon after he turned 1 and so far no more problems since then and he totally outgrew the allergies at 2.5yo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC