Infant seats and handle positions--master list

sunnymw

Can we get a master list of which infant seats require the handles in which positions for travel?

I'll update the OP as I get responses.

ADS

NannyMom

I just recently got a list that was done by SafetyBeltSafe USA. It says it can be reporduced in it's entirety, so I hope it's ok that I'm putting the info here. If it's not ok, please let me know and delete.

Carry Handle positions for currnet and recently discontinued infant-only seats

Baby Trend, both models--- Behind seat, mid level, or bottom

Britax Baby Safe--- Behind Top Edge of seat

Britax Companion- Behind seat, at bottom

Chicco Keyfit--- Any locked position

Combi Centre, Shuttle--- Up position only

Combi Connection--- Any locked position

Team Tex Baby Ride--- Behind top edge of seat

Dorel, all, including Maxi Cosi (retroactive)--- Any locked position

Evenflo, all--- Behind top edge, behind seat, down

Graco Snugride--- 3 positions: straight up, behind and all the way down, or behind at mid level (next to lowest position)

Graco Infant SafeSeat--- 3 positions: straight up, behind top edge of seat, or behind and all the way down

Mia Moda Viva--- Any locked position

Orbit Infant--- Soft handles are lowered to top edge of seat

Peg Perego Primo Viaggio--- Behind top edge of seat

Edited because I didn't pay enough attention to the Graco seats part.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The snugride actually has 5 positions, the SS1/SR32 has 4, but the same 3 positions are allowed for both of them. :) The "behind top edge of seat" might be kind of confusing because on the SnugRide there is one that falls about there that is not allowed, and one that is. Just make sure it's either all the way up or in either of the two lower positions.

I am pretty sure the Compass/First Years infant seats require the handle down but I don't recall exactly. ETA: Yes, latest information I can find is that handle must be in furthest-down position.

NannyMom

The snugride actually has 5 positions, the SS1/SR32 has 4, but the same 3 positions are allowed for both of them. :) The "behind top edge of seat" might be kind of confusing because on the SnugRide there is one that falls about there that is not allowed, and one that is. Just make sure it's either all the way up or in either of the two lower positions.

I am pretty sure the Compass/First Years infant seats require the handle down but I don't recall exactly. ETA: Yes, latest information I can find is that handle must be in furthest-down position.

Thanks for seeing that. I combined the SR and the SS1 info on the chart :eek: Umm...I didn't know the SR22 can't be used with the handle at the head of the seat (like the SS1 can).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The SS1/SR32 can. But on the SnugRide (22) there are 2 positions that fall "close" to the head of the seat. One is technically right behind the head of the seat, and one is in front of, but to some parents it could be confusing. Hence the clarification. :)

NannyMom

The SS1/SR32 can. But on the SnugRide (22) there are 2 positions that fall "close" to the head of the seat. One is technically right behind the head of the seat, and one is in front of, but to some parents it could be confusing. Hence the clarification. :)

I'll have to play with the SR22 today and see exactly where they all are :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Page 13 of the manual has a pretty clear diagram, and it is clear when you look from the front, but from the side can be confusing. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep. I think B is the position that the SS1 does not have? I'm not sure. I do know that the position just back from the handle on the SS1 is not allowed either, it is also a "convenience" position. :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks for the link. I would have expected C to be ok, but not B. (neither B or C are allowed).

If you pull the canopy back, you can see that C actually is just above the shell so it's right in a place where if a child ramped up the seat back he/she could hit his/her head on the handle. It's not obvious unless the canopy is pulled back though. I puzzled over why position C wasn't allowed in the snugride 22 for the longest time until I saw it with the canopy out of the way. :eek:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The FirstYears Via cannot have the handle in position "A" in the car, but all other positions are fine. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC