Pilot vs. Odyssey

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Ohh, hahaha that is funny! Yeah I think my husband thinks the same thing about me "another website" ugh! Oh well at least we are educating ourselves right?!?!
Have fun on odyclub tonight!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Honda does allow child restraints to be used in the PlusOne 8th seat available in the EX/EX-L models since 2005. My 2006 manual says nothing at all about it, but I have since confirmed this twice with my contact at Honda. This was the most recent reply, the same as the one I stickied in the Kids & Safety forum at Odyclub.com:

The purpose of the Plus-One seat is to provide additional seating "when needed". The Plus-One seat is a compact size so that it can also be used as a center console and stored under the floor. The result of this compact size is that not all sizes of child seats, boosters (or people) can fit properly in the Plus-One seat.

If a child seat or booster will fit the space provided and can be properly secured by the vehicle's seat belt, it is an acceptable use of the Plus-One seat.

One caveat is that Canadian spec models do not allow carseats to be installed in the PlusOne seat because of their requirements for top tether usage. Since there is no anchor for the PlusOne seat, child restraints cannot be used there in Canada.

Ulrike- can you please give the model year, trim level and page of your manual? Is it possible you purchased a van imported from Canada? If there is conflicting information in some manuals I'd like to see if I can resolve the issue.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I haven't checked my manual. I did check the manual in the 8-seater we looked at before we decided on the 7-seater. The next time I'm out there, I'll see if mine says anything, though, because IME, they print one standard manual that is good for all the versions of one model, so mine should cover the issue.

Obviously, I didn't thoroughly read the manual at the dealer, and I don't remember exactly what it said off the top of my head.

lovinwaves

Both the Pilot and Odyssey are based on the same Honda Global Light Truck platform. Technically, it is a car-based unibody platform and not a true truck frame platform. The Honda Ridgeline and Acura MDX also use this platform. I suspect the MDX probably gets even more soundproofing and may be the quietest of the bunch.

Hey Darren,
I was wondering if you knew anything about this. I have a male friend that is basically telling me either the MDX or RDX(I can't remember which one he said) is the same thing as the Pilot. I told him they are all on the same Global Light Truck platform, but that they vary greatly in many aspects. What do you think? Besides the luxury aspect, I see many differences among handling and dimensions.

Is it kind of like saying the Lexus ES is a supped up Toyota camry or Avalon?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
All I can say is that my SO's MDX was like riding on a cloud.... Man, I loved that vehicle - decent MPG for a 7 passenger vehicle, too - I was pissed when he decided not to buy it after the lease ran out, LOL! Carseats installed nicely, too *SIGH*

lovinwaves

All I can say is that my SO's MDX was like riding on a cloud.... Man, I loved that vehicle - decent MPG for a 7 passenger vehicle, too - I was pissed when he decided not to buy it after the lease ran out, LOL! Carseats installed nicely, too *SIGH*

Have you seen the new RDX. oooLALA!! :D

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
As I said before, the MDX, Pilot, Odyssey and Ridgeline are all based on the same chassis. That's not to say the ride or handling will be identical, only that the basic chassis is the same. They share similar powertrains, too, with some minor changes from one to the other.

Presumably, being the luxury version, the MDX will have better soundproofing, improved handling and performance and other upgrades. The Ridgeline apparently had many more significant changes just to accomodate being a pickup truck.

I thought I read that the RDX is based on another chassis- perhaps the one used by the new CR-V, but I don't know for sure.

lovinwaves

Odyssey has more cabin capacity. I looked at both also and went with the Ody because I wanted the flexibility of putting three car seats in the vehicle. Hard to do in the Pilot as the second row is a bench (buckets are not even an option) and with 2 car seats already, the third row wouldn't even be functional unless I asked my guests to climb through the back. I'm not one to take my car seats out but that would be a option, I guess. Honda rates very well on safety so it's really up to preferences. I really love my Odyssey (the sliding back doors are great for putting in little ones).

Here ya go........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VB7oh3-rUo

T

TraceyS/FL

For the thread record - love my 05 Touring Odyssey, but the gas mileage stinks. Right now we are lucky if we get 23 on the Highway, but our normal tank average is 19.

But, it's been great as a gas - has some VERY annoying quirks. I'm a VW Girl though, so well, I guess I think German ;)

And, i'll agree with the road noise assessment.

lovinwaves

For the thread record - love my 05 Touring Odyssey, but the gas mileage stinks. Right now we are lucky if we get 23 on the Highway, but our normal tank average is 19.

But, it's been great as a gas - has some VERY annoying quirks. I'm a VW Girl though, so well, I guess I think German ;)

And, i'll agree with the road noise assessment.

Just curious what your annoying Quirks are in the Ody? Asking because we have a VW lover in the fam too!!

I hate DH's "ratching" seat in his VW.:rolleyes:

BlueDragon

Someone mentioned in one of these threads that they would have liked the rear camera of the Odyssey touring.

I have an 06 Odyssey, EX-L with DVD and Nav, and I believe it is the built-in NAV that gave me the rear camera -- I did not have to go up to the touring to get it. I *LOVE* the rear camera. I drop my kids off and daycare all the time, and I'm so glad I can see what is behind my car when I back up since there are little kids around all the time. Also, it makes parking so much QUICKER because I don't have to leave a big margin of error when parking.

I had no idea how much I would love that feature when I bought the car. In fact, I was worried about parking and manuvering (sorry for the spelling) a large car, and that has not been issue -- in part I'm sure to that camera.

The camera has a great wide angle. It works in all sorts of lighting, including weird sun angles and when the whole car is wet and its raining -- it's a gem.

I'm sure this feature is on many cars, I'm just plugging the feature not necessarily the car (though I love my Odyssey).

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
That is the one feature I miss in my EX-L. I had absolutely no interest in the DVD system. For me, I'd rather have portables. Each kid can have their own and I can replace them a few times each for less than the cost of the rear entertainment system. Plus they can be brought into a hotel or another car.

On the other hand, I really wanted the backup camera and while I was neutral on the NAV system, it would be handy now and then. I wish Honda had offered NAV/Camera without the DVD entertainment system.

While it's not as useful in my opinion, Honda does have an accessory backup sensor kit that can be added to the Odyssey (standard in the Touring).

Lys

Senior Community Member
That is the one feature I miss in my EX-L. I had absolutely no interest in the DVD system. For me, I'd rather have portables. Each kid can have their own and I can replace them a few times each for less than the cost of the rear entertainment system. Plus they can be brought into a hotel or another car.

What about the concern of a portable becoming a projectile in a crash?
I'm just asking because this is why I won't allow my kids to have them in our vehicle.
If there is a safe way to install them, then I'm all for it. It would certainly give me some peace for long trips (12+ hours to Florida) :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
What about the concern of a portable becoming a projectile in a crash?
I'm just asking because this is why I won't allow my kids to have them in our vehicle.
If there is a safe way to install them, then I'm all for it. It would certainly give me some peace for long trips (12+ hours to Florida) :)

The players now weigh only a few pounds. Ours came with car kits that strap around the vehicle headrests. In a frontal crash, they are going to move into the head rest and that will restrict any possibility of movement. I suppose in a very severe rear crash, the force might cause the straps to break and fly toward a child. I'm not really concerned that the risk is anything but extremely small and the results would likely be anything other than a serious bruise. That's not to say there's no risk of serious injury, but that it happens to be below my threshold for concern.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC