Pilot vs. Odyssey

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I think the PIlot is based off of a car platfom, and that would definitely help with the drive and noise aspect.

Both the Pilot and Odyssey are based on the same Honda Global Light Truck platform. Technically, it is a car-based unibody platform and not a true truck frame platform. The Honda Ridgeline and Acura MDX also use this platform. I suspect the MDX probably gets even more soundproofing and may be the quietest of the bunch.

ADS

lovinwaves

Both the Pilot and Odyssey are based on the same Honda Global Light Truck platform. Technically, it is a car-based unibody platform and not a true truck frame platform. The Honda Ridgeline and Acura MDX also use this platform. I suspect the MDX probably gets even more soundproofing and may be the quietest of the bunch.

Thanks for the clarification, a little confusing, but I get what you are saying. I may research that and find out some more. I had never heard of Honda's "light truck platform" before.

Have you driven the Ridgeline? I bet it is pretty nice riding.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
OOooooo, I a sooo jealous. That must be pretty cool! I can just see me and the kids in the Van chasing them around trying to see what kid of car it is. I would love to be a car tester. I think they should always have a mom give her advice on the ease of installing carseat, how kid friendly the car is and stuff like that! :)

LOL. I used to work in the same office complex as Car & Driver's editorial office, and then it was much easier to gawk at whatever cars they had. ;) I still peek at their lot when I drive by their building and sometimes see them driving off in something exotic. Some auto companies have proving grounds and/or technicial centers around here, too. It's not uncommon to see "cloaked" or partially camoflaged cars on the road with manufacturer's plates on them, like the ones you've probably seen in "spy" photos in Motor Trend or other car mags with the black covers partially hiding body panels and badges. I always do a double take when I spot one and try to guess what model it is.

lovinwaves

It's not uncommon to see "cloaked" or partially camoflaged cars on the road with manufacturer's plates on them, like the ones you've probably seen in "spy" photos in Motor Trend or other car mags with the black covers partially hiding body panels and badges. I always do a double take when I spot one and try to guess what model it is.

That's exactly what I was going to say! I would love to try to figure them out. I heard they only camo to protect the paint. I don't know maybe they do that to hide the new body too. Either way it cracks me up, because some of them are soooo obvious as to who the manufacturer is! Where do you live???? Kansas city can be sooo boring sometimes. I wish we had some bigger companies around here that did cool stuff like that!

Jeanum

Staff member
I live just outside of Ann Arbor, MI.

Lots of automotive related companies have facilities in and around Ann Arbor, probably due to the proximity to Detroit (Ann Arbor is about 35 miles from the "Motor City") and because of the presence of the Automotive Research Center and University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI) in Ann Arbor. I've heard that Consumer Reports' carseat crash testing is done at UMTRI. Toyota also has a technicial center here that was involved in designing the current Sienna and other models. Toyota is going to build a bigger R&D center on land it recently purchased from the state of Michigan just south of Ann Arbor. Hyundai also has a newish technical/R&D center in this area, and Chrysler has operated a large vehicle proving ground facility west of here in a town called Chelsea for many years. Automobile magazine is another Ann Arbor-based publication. You can't go very far down the road around here without seeing reminders of the car business, that's for sure. :D

Lys

Senior Community Member
Have you driven the Ridgeline? I bet it is pretty nice riding.

Oh when these first came out DH was looking for a new truck. We went a test drove one and I LOVEd it. It does not feel anything like a truck!! But the interior was a little too "modern" for DH. SO, He chose a Toyota Tundra.

T

tutu

Incidentally, you can find a lot of good information from the press releases at http://www.hondanews.com/ .

Yes, great link. I was able to quickly find out from two press releases what changes were made to the '06 and '07 Odysseys from '05, the year I plan to buy. I learned that the only thing I will really wish I had is the outboard tether anchors in the third row (althought the telescoping steering wheel and tire pressure monitor would sure be nice).

I'm so impressed with this forum. Several times I've felt like saying "Well, that alone was worth the price of the subscription," but it's FREE.

lovinwaves

Oh when these first came out DH was looking for a new truck. We went a test drove one and I LOVEd it. It does not feel anything like a truck!! But the interior was a little too "modern" for DH. SO, He chose a Toyota Tundra.

I peaked at one while my van was getting it's oil changed. I agree, the interior seemed a little utilitarian. The Tundra is an awesome truck too!! The Ridgline has a lot of neat features in it. Because we live in a wintery climate, DH had talked about selling his passat and getting one, but OH MY THE PRICE!!!

lovinwaves

Yes, great link. I was able to quickly find out from two press releases what changes were made to the '06 and '07 Odysseys from '05, the year I plan to buy. I learned that the only thing I will really wish I had is the outboard tether anchors in the third row (althought the telescoping steering wheel and tire pressure monitor would sure be nice).

I'm so impressed with this forum. Several times I've felt like saying "Well, that alone was worth the price of the subscription," but it's FREE.

The telescoping steering wheel would be great!! Another thing I didn't like was I got the EX-L (L stands for Leather), and the steering wheel didn't even have Leather on it!!:eek: Big mistake by Honda, but I think on the newer models it does come standard now(hopefully). We actually ended up having Honda put a leather wrap on it. I love the feel of how big and thick it is. Gotta have my leather!!

UlrikeDG

Last month, I traded in my '03 Pilot for an '06 Ody. Overall, the Ody has way more room. However, the nice thing about the Pilot was that I could fit all 3 kids in the center row, which isn't an option with the Ody.

lovinwaves

Last month, I traded in my '03 Pilot for an '06 Ody. Overall, the Ody has way more room. However, the nice thing about the Pilot was that I could fit all 3 kids in the center row, which isn't an option with the Ody.

I was able to get three across in the middle row of my EX-L. I think it can greatly depend on the seats you are using just with any car. The two outboards were rear-facing and the middle was forward-facing. The middle (extra seat) does not have latch, but has a three point buckle. Also the Touring Model(the highest, most expensive model) only seats 7 instead of 8.

UlrikeDG

Melissa, the manual specifically states not to place a carseat in the center seat in the middle row of the Ody. Even if you have a seat that fits there, you still should not use it.

lovinwaves

Melissa, the manual specifically states not to place a carseat in the center seat in the middle row of the Ody. Even if you have a seat that fits there, you still should not use it.

mmmm...I wonder why not? Well, thankfully it was only once and it was a 10 minute ride. Thanks for the info though!! ;)

lovinwaves

You know I was just telling DH what you said, and he said, "well, honey you read the whole manual, I'm surprised you missed that?". So that got me thinking...I never really remember seeing that mentioned in the manual. So I just went downstairs to the basement to get "the Manual" he he, and I can't find anywhere in there where it says you can't do that. I did however find a place that says you can put any rear-facing child restraint in any of the back seats. Ok, now I'm confused. So, do you own an Ody? What page number does it say you can't use the Second row removable seat?

Thanks!!!! :D

lovinwaves

Ulrike,
So I decided to do a search on the plus-one seat and carseats, and guess what website was the very first one that popped up.....you guessed it www.car-safety.org.

Ok, so it says you can use a restraint in that seat. So what do you think about this?? Let me know.:)

Here is what it says.

Additional Comments on 2005 and 2006 models:

Child Restraints CAN be installed in the Plus One seat available on EX and EX-L models. Many child restraints may be too big for installation in the PlusOne, but if the restraint installs securely according to guidelines in the instruction manuals, then it should be safe.

Here is the link also:
http://www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Lovinwaves aka Oddy lover ;)

Have you ever visited www.odyclub.com? It was one of my favorite websites when we were trying to decide between the Sienna and Odyssey. Tons of great information! Anyway there is a CPS tech on there (whom I believe also visits this board) named Shellbelle who I believe spoke with Honda in depth about the issue on using a child restraint on the plus one seat and I am pretty sure the final answer ended up being that it was fine. Since I can tell you don't mind research, especially when it comes to cars, I am sure you can find the thread over there if you want to.

lovinwaves

Lovinwaves aka Oddy lover ;)

Have you ever visited www.odyclub.com? It was one of my favorite websites when we were trying to decide between the Sienna and Odyssey. Tons of great information! Anyway there is a CPS tech on there (whom I believe also visits this board) named Shellbelle who I believe spoke with Honda in depth about the issue on using a child restraint on the plus one seat and I am pretty sure the final answer ended up being that it was fine. Since I can tell you don't mind research, especially when it comes to cars, I am sure you can find the thread over there if you want to.

This is sooooooooooo funny. I JUST, literally JUST found the www.odyclub.com website. DH and I were just looking at it. DH is now thinking, "OH NO, not another forum!" I said, "well, I better get back to my Car seat forum, and that is when I saw your reply!!"

Anyways, thanks for the link!!!:D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC