Help my sister pick a new seat

itzmeigh

My sister was rear ended yesterday so now she needs a new seat. William was in the car with her. He was in his Radian (He's 7 years old and about 48-50 pounds). He has been throwing up since the wreck and last I talked to them they were at Baptist Children's in Arkansas waiting for a second CAT scan. The first one came out clear but he hasn't stopped throwing up. (He's a puker. Once he gets started puking it's hard for him to stop. So while we are all concerned were aren't over concerned.) William says that his knee hit him in the forehead.

Anyway, now he needs a new seat. He has a Graco Air Booster in his Dad's car that they can use till they get something else. And the insurance company will buy the new seat so price isn't really a matter.

He was in a Radian 65 with AT LEAST 1/2 in the harness. I'd even be willing to say he had an inch.

Some of my thoughts on my choices...
(his stats again are 7 years 6 months old. about 48-50 pounds and about 16-17 inch torso.) (I haven't measured his torso but I'm pretty sure it isn't 17 inches. But going by how I KNOW he fits the Radian (because I just had him here in one a couple of weeks ago) I'd say he's between 16-17 inches.)

The Nautilus -- I REALLY think he will like it and isn't there a touch more room in the harness then the Radians? He loves being in the harness.

The Monterey -- I'm going up in May and I could take her an extra Radian if he really wants his harness back. He likes his booster fine but I think they like him in the harness too. But it is getting really close to time for a booster...

The Frontier -- I don't know... Just seems a little much for him. I think he'd like the cup holder on the Nautilus better. But I'll mention it to them.

I won't have her buy a new Radian. He really does like the Radian. I think because it looks so "grown up". I'll send her one of mine before I have her buy a new one. What am I missing? I'd like to get her a list quick so they can go shopping when they get ready. Right now I think I'd push her more towards the Monterey but I'm not sure that isn't because I like it best. I think it's a hard call for me between that and the Nautilus.

(Oh and he is an only child and there will never be anymore children to pass a seat along to. So life span and rear facing is of no concern.)

ADS

mommaon112903

We all :love: Josef's Monterey, and like your nephew Josef is an only child so we did not worry about it being passed down to anyone. It looks like a "big kid" seat, and comes in something other than grey, lol.

I like your idea of having her purchase the Monterey and you bringing her/shipping a RN if he wants that little time left in the RN.

I hope nothing is seriously wrong with the little man! Prayers for a healthy CT are on the way!

Evolily

At his age I would get a nice HB booster unless there is a developmental reason for him to need a harness (from everything you've written, it doesn't seem so?).

zeo2ski

At his age I'd go with a good BPB unless he really REALLY likes the harness as in has sensory issues that cause him to not like a booster. However if they wanted the nauti, I'd say get the frontier--unless you have seen him in the nautilus in booster mode in his own vehicle, since fit isn't always super in booster mode and he's already as big as he is.

The Nautilus and Frontier should both have a bit more room in the harness than the radian, you're right about that.

Hope he's ok. Based on the crash videos, I could believe his head hit his knees. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC