Side Cushions in upcoming Britax Advocate

marjen

I know there's been a lot of talk and speculation about the Britax Advocate...and if it's worth the extra money or if it really is that different from their other seats. I know many people on here say that it is probably more of a gimmick...or more for other passengers in the car. I noticed on Britax's site that they've added more information about the new technology...and they say that the cushions reduce side impact crash energy by 50%. http://www.britaxusa.com/safety-center/superior-energy-management/side-impact-cushion-technology/

Any opinions? I am sooo tempted...especially because I love the Kathryn cover :)

ADS

Evolily

They could slap a couple dollars of EPS foam to the side of every car seat and provide the same protection. They could add that to every single seat and not see anymore than a marginal increase in price.

I think it's a gimmick. Being seated beside a car seat likely provides SIP anyway.

Maedze

A reduction in energy doesn't necessarily translate to a reduction in passenger injury.

EPS foam does the same thing. And what is even more effective is actually promoting rearfacing....and yet Britax keeps showing advertisements of tiny children forward facing.

If Britax were really interested in reducing injury to occupants in side impact crashes, they would promote rearfacing beyond 1 and 20. (Of course, that wouldn't make them any money :rolleyes: )

Bottom line, it's a gimmick.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If I had an old car or one with terrible side crash ratings, I'd consider it. There's nothing wrong with a CR company attempting innovation and/or trying to make up for the embarrassingly horrible job that car makers are doing when it comes to keeping children safe. Particularly in side impacts. Forward facing kids are only marginally less safe than rearfacing kids in frontal crashes, and are at much higher (four times higher) risk of injury in side crashes. Yeah, rearfacing protects against that. No, parents won't do it. Answer? Make seats safer for FF kids in side crashes. Where's the gimmick?

Splash

Big gimmick. It's Britax spinning their wheels trying to pretend that they are innovative. Oh, I know, let us take a seat we've already made, and make it make sounds! Oh, they didn't fall for it. Let us take a seat we already make, and make it a little smaller! Oh, they didn't fall for it. Let us take a seat we alerady make and tape marine bumpers to the side! Oh, wait, they probably won't fall for that either.

I know! Let us let lowly MIC Graco pass us by and generate all the buzz and praise while we roll out another black and grey checkered cover or another pink one with slightly smaller flowers than the last pink one.

Maedze

Yeah, rearfacing protects against that. No, parents won't do it. Answer? Make seats safer for FF kids in side crashes. Where's the gimmick?

Of course they won't do it when Britax keeps insisting it's fine.

It drives me nuts to hear "Oh parents won't do that" when absolutely no effort is being expended to see that they DO do it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yup, I know. And I do everything in my power to get people to RF longer than (or even up to) a year. But the onus lies on NHTSA and the AAP and they are doing as bad a job at protecting our kids as the automakers are (oh, wait, NHTSA is in charge of THEM, too...sigh). Kids go FF at one, that's just how it is right now. Might as well make them as safe as possible that way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC