Symphony Vs True Fit

gooeysmom

Ok, so I've pretty much decided on the Symphony. I love the adjustable head rest with wings that are on the inside of the car seat right near my baby's head (seems like that would be better in a side impact crash as opposed to the outside) - (any ideas on this?). I love the price (BRU has the flower print for $159). My 6 month old daughter seems very comfortable in it. Now for those who say "it only goes to 40lbs in the harness!", this is what I was thinking: I want to keep my daughter harnessed for as long as possible so I'll eventually be buying something like a Regent, Frontier or Nautilus (though it doesn't seems to have EPP Foam, just the plastic frame) whether at 40, 50 or 65lbs.

I've also taken a good look at the True Fit and like it a lot. My daughter was also comfortable in it. It is rather large, but now that I know it doesn't need to be reclined at 45 degrees the entire time it's rear facing I am considering it again. The instructions looked tricky for installing. For those of you who have a True Fit, what do you love about it? Anyone have a Symphony?

ADS

skylinphoto

I've seen reviews saying it makes a good seat for rfing to 35 lbs. It's tall enough I think...though I don't have one myself. The symphony that is.

If you'll be buying a FFing only seat when it comes time to FF, then I don't see a problem...

Well, the true fit does have some great legroom for rfing toddlers. That's a huge plus of the truefit..and it's super tall shell will get 98% of kids to 35 lbs rfing.

Evolily

Regent, Frontier or Nautilus (though it doesn't seems to have EPP Foam, just the plastic frame) whether at 40, 50 or 65lbs. ]

They all have energy absorbing foam.

IMHO the symphony is a waste of money when there are so many other nice seats which do the same thing for longer. Like the True Fit.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Symphony is just too fiddly, there's too much to go wrong on it (belts and straps and moving parts that can break)...I'd probably skip it and go with the True Fit just for the simplicity factor (and the higher weight limit and taller seatback) and higher quality overall.

gooeysmom

All great points. Though I was just at Target and BRU yesterday and didn't feel or see any foam under the cover of the Nautilus. I'm not looking to buy one now, just looking. I like the style and arm rests.

So is the True Fit as good as the Britax Boulevard for Side Impact Protection? After watching the Britax videos I'm pretty convinced. The only thing is that the Boulevard was uncomfortable for my daughter (not enough padding at 6 months) and the wings seemed floppy.

ginny4

about the EPP/EPS foam.....only recommended/necessary for the head area. convertible have it all over or close it & that is because it is prepard for an infant to be in there. the nautilus & frontier are in the headrest only & the regent has it in the upper half. anywhere a head would be for its protection

Evolily

All great points. Though I was just at Target and BRU yesterday and didn't feel or see any foam under the cover of the Nautilus. I'm not looking to buy one now, just looking. I like the style and arm rests.
it's under the headrest (EPS foam looks like Styrofoam). By the time you get a seat, though, there will probably be a ton of newer seats.

So is the True Fit as good as the Britax Boulevard for Side Impact Protection? After watching the Britax videos I'm pretty convinced. The only thing is that the Boulevard was uncomfortable for my daughter (not enough padding at 6 months) and the wings seemed floppy.

All 5 point harnesses have SIP, as do all rear-facing car seats. Additional protection may be provided by having a deep shell or head wings which are lined with EPS foam. The true fit has both of these, as does the boulevard.

Freedom_Pixie

The TF has a lot of room and DS loves that. I need to update his stats, but he has about 1-2 years left in the TF. The TF Rear faces to 35lbs and Forward faces to 65 lbs. the shell is around 50"-52", I can't remember. It is a comfortable seat, DS falls asleep in it almost everytime. With his other seat he cried all the time on long trips. I'm glad I went with the TF. HTH.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The Symphony is just too fiddly, there's too much to go wrong on it (belts and straps and moving parts that can break)...

Fiddly? That's not my experience with using the Symphony day-to-day. Set the harness height & the headrest when you install the seat, and then it buckles and tightens like almost any other seat (except the adjuster is buttery smooth like the Roundabout). I haven't seen any parts that seem likely to break with normal use and abuse.

I like the higher harness weight limit on the True Fit, but I've been very pleased with my Symphony. My husband prefers the Roundabout, but that also only goes to 40 lb harnessed.

Splash

I really really love the TF, but I had to return both of the ones I bought because the crotch strap is so shallow and so short. It was my 3.5 year old son's favorite seat, even though is bruised his thighs, but my infant hated it because it was so so tight on the legs due to that very short crotch strap. But it's a fabulous seat, super easy to install, nice deep sides.

However, if you prefer the Symphony, there is absolutely no reason not to buy it. It's also a nice seat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Fiddly? That's not my experience with using the Symphony day-to-day. Set the harness height & the headrest when you install the seat, and then it buckles and tightens like almost any other seat (except the adjuster is buttery smooth like the Roundabout). I haven't seen any parts that seem likely to break with normal use and abuse.

I like the higher harness weight limit on the True Fit, but I've been very pleased with my Symphony. My husband prefers the Roundabout, but that also only goes to 40 lb harnessed.

I mean underneath, in the bottom, where no one ever looks... I just think simple belt paths are a better overall design in terms of long-term care. Glad it's easy for the end user, though. :thumbsup:

jess71903

Ambassador
We love our True Fit. The harness adjuster is a little annoying RF but I just use the continuous loop harness to my advantage and not adjust each time. It does have a ton of RF leg room and installs really easily, in my experience. We have one with a 3 position crotch strap, and haven't had any trouble with pinching or it being too short. I know the 3 position wasn't made long. Here is a pic of DS in his from the top, so you can see the hip portion and where the buckle hits. I think he was about 14 months in this pic. He was 16 months in my siggy pic and is now 19 months and still quite comfy.
IMG_1757.jpg

Splash

We have one with a 3 position crotch strap, and haven't had any trouble with pinching or it being too short. I know the 3 position wasn't made long. [/IMG]

If I'd had a 3 position one, I would have kept it and loved it forever and ever and ever.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC