BPB don't expire?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Anyone want to weigh in on this one? I always used the same rule for them as I did for any other seat, 6yrs (or whatever the manufacturer says). According to a tech I know online (vaguely) BPB don't expire. According to her I could use an Alpha Omega till my child was ready for a seatbelt as long I didn't use the straps after 6yrs and just used the base as a booster. Thoughts?

ADS

RubysGirl

I, myself, would not hesitate to use a low back booster, or a highback booster, as long as the vehicle seat is high and supports the child. If it was a foam type booster I probably wouldn't, and I wouldnt' use a highback if I couldn't use a lowback. I wouldn't want to depend on the head support in the event of a crash.

Other than that, theoretically I'd tend to think they're fine. I'm not a tech though. They're not really under stress, yk?

skaterbabs

No, that is wrong. Boosters *do* expire, the same as regular seats, with just a couple of exceptions. (I think Recaro has one that doesn't, and the cheap Evenflo backless doesn't.)

Tara

Doesn't make sense to me as it's still plastic that will deteriorate I understand not the same kind of force would be put on it in bpb mode as opposed to harness mode, but still
hmmm
I just know I won't be using my old Cargo as a bpb for my kids...at 7 yr post DOM I wouldn't trust it for a trip around the block.
But...I have no facts for ya either way...that's just my intial thoughts ;)

abacus2

Even though boosters do expire and will eventually wear out to the point that it's obvious they shouldn't be used anymore, the risk of using an expired booster can't possibly be in the same category of risk as using an expired harnessed seat. The booster's primary job is to make the seatbelt fit so that it can work properly which requires a lot less structural support than holding a child in a harness under accident forces. Has there ever been any testing showing a safety risk with an older booster?

jenny03

I think I'd have more of a problem with a highback expiring, because the seatbelt does go through the seat/guide. I'd be afraid it would snap. But I could see how a backless booster would be less of an issue.

kelly

I'd also worry about highback boosters that are providing head support past where the vehicle's seatback is (like the Apex rule). If it is expired, it may snap causing neck trauma.

Clearly, its not the same risk as the harness breaking through a harnessed seat though.

The only BPB that I recall that doesn't expire is the Recaro Start because its structure is metal not plastic.

skaterbabs

The backless Evenflo doesn't expire either, from what I understand, but most boosters do have expiration dates on them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC