Reason #6001 to have a spare seat

vonfirmath

My son is at childcare unexpectedly this afternoon. I am about to head home, and have to SIT AT HOME without my son because I don't have a car seat to put him in to take him home with me (Its in the car my husband has, and my husband is 45 minutes south of our house).

We've got a car seat on order, but it has not arrived yet.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I was SOOOO glad I had not only a spare, but a spare that fit in my car (extra Radian) when someone stole my car seat right before we went out... Oh, and the other spare (which might have fit, barely) is in my mom's car (Uptown.)

I think I need more spare seats. I'm beginning to get nervous that something will happen and I won't have enough. ;) (Though honestly now that we have the RSTV things are a lot better 'cause I can get 3-across in most cars even without the Radians. Doesn't help with my dad's car though... He needs tether anchors before she can use it in there.)

Niea

I'm sorry, that sucks. Well, enjoy the time alone, I guess :)

But I totally hear you on spare seats. I only have a seat for DS (a Scenera). I have no idea what to put DD in that's cheap! Like really cheap, since it may never even get used. As it is, my car has seats, DHs car has seats, and my parent's car has seats. So the only people who might need them are the ILs. They've yet to need to transport the kids anywhere, but an emergency is, by definition, unexpected. So. . .I don't know what I should do.

melniemi

Ditto, the Surburban is the only car we have that she rides in.....

We only have our van. It is full to the max with seats - well it will be in a couple months. No family lives close and no one else transports my kids. Dh does have a turbo in his work truck (that I can't drive) but he uses it every Sunday because the boys take turns going to guitar lessons with him after church.

babygirlsmom1005

We only have our van. It is full to the max with seats - well it will be in a couple months. No family lives close and no one else transports my kids. Dh does have a turbo in his work truck (that I can't drive) but he uses it every Sunday because the boys take turns going to guitar lessons with him after church.

LOL - mine is due to my husbands truck is a absoulte mess, he is the only one that rides in it. If I do have to drive something else (like when my surburban went into the shop to get a ding fixed), I switched it over myself...other than that, if she goes somewhere, so does her seat, but I can only think of one other person she has ridden with in 3.5 years and that is my sister and she had extra MA in her van so we didn't do the swap over.

mimieliza

Now that DD isn't in a home daycare (and the daycare provided doesn't need one of our seats) we actually have a spare seat. Our EFTA is sitting in the garage - it gives me peace of mind.

monstah

I feel your pain, we didn't have any spare car seats until we were faced with "Reason #2841 to have a spare seat"

I dropped DS at a "by myself class" for two hours and went to the mall with DD. When leaving to go pick him up, I locked my keys in the car. :eek: While I was waiting for a tow truck to come help me out, DH had to leave work and sit with DS in the parking lot until my keys were rescued and I could go pick DS up with the car seat.

And BTW, mall security was no help at all.

Moral of the story, you don't need a spare seat right now, but you will. :evil grin:

heyruthie

Yes, IMHO there are basically 2 seats that you can buy that NO MATTER WHAT will get you through in a pinch. If any Mom owns them, she is ready for whatever (emergency, unexpected neighbor's kid, whatever!) You just need BOTH a:

-Cosco Scenera (any child from birth to 30-40 pounds, either RF or FF)
AND
-Cheap Low Back Booster (any child from 30-40 pounds+ in emergencies)

That way, you can at least make it to either

-Home
OR
-The nearest Wal-Mart to buy a better seat

I can't tell you how many times we've used either our Scenera or LBB in a pinch. It's WAY better than not having anything, and your total cost can be as low as about $50 for both seats combined, if you buy them on sale. They're my "insurance policy" seats :)

I had one carseat for each child until June 2007. THen Michael had too and a few months later Logan got a spare. Then I started driving my daycare kids places and needed more seats. Now, both boys have tons of spares(thanks to daycare seats). ;-)

Hope you enjoyed your alone time. ;-)

What's a "spare" seat? Any seat beyond the first one for each child? We have a seat in each car for DS. Does that mean we have "spare" seats?

NannyMom

What's a "spare" seat? Any seat beyond the first one for each child? We have a seat in each car for DS. Does that mean we have "spare" seats?

I consider spare seats to be ones that are just sitting in a closet or something "just in case."

me too. Though, Sofi has one in Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Grandpa's cars. And a spare in the house too (that is really only used by my friend's DD).

Niea

I consider spare seats to be ones that are just sitting in a closet or something "just in case."

Me too.

Each child has 3 seats but they are all installed in cars and used frequently, even if only one is really the "primary". So IMHO, none of those are spares. But the Scenera sitting in my dining room definitely is :D

As far as an extra seat for DD, I'm not really sure I want to get a lbb for her, simply because she's not even 4 yet (but will be in a few weeks) and has never ridden in one. But at the same time, while she does fit in the Scenera FF, she is 37-38lbs. Though to be honest it could be another year before she makes it to 40. Hmmmm. . ..I've got some thinking to do.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, IMHO there are basically 2 seats that you can buy that NO MATTER WHAT will get you through in a pinch. If any Mom owns them, she is ready for whatever (emergency, unexpected neighbor's kid, whatever!) You just need BOTH a:

-Cosco Scenera (any child from birth to 30-40 pounds, either RF or FF)
AND
-Cheap Low Back Booster (any child from 30-40 pounds+ in emergencies)

That way, you can at least make it to either

-Home
OR
-The nearest Wal-Mart to buy a better seat

I can't tell you how many times we've used either our Scenera or LBB in a pinch. It's WAY better than not having anything, and your total cost can be as low as about $50 for both seats combined, if you buy them on sale. They're my "insurance policy" seats :)

My daughters all outgrew the Scenera before they were ANYWHERE near ready for a booster of any kind.

I'd go for an Uptown instead. ;) (Well, I have an Uptown instead. We're actually getting rid of our Scenera because my daughter outgrew it by height RF before she was legally or per man. instructions able to use it FF.)

But luckily, I don't have to worry about it at this point. When I have a van I'll probably keep an extra Radian stowed in the back, adjusted for one of my kids, so that I'll be able to take one of my kids' friends by putting them in the easily-adjustable SafeGuard my kids will ride in while I put one of my kids in the Radian if it's ever necessary on short notice...

AtTheSouthDam

I, too, consider it to be the seat sitting in the closet/garage/shed that child still fits in and is used for "just in case".

We only have one car. My parents are 20 minutes away, my dad works 3 minutes away and childless friends will drive 40 minutes to come see me and the girls. Occaisionally they will offer to take us out somewhere. I use these seats for that. I also keep them because we had a much older cars before with iffy issues. It would break down and I could do nothing as he had the only car seats (usually they were in the more reliable of the two cars and with his job being 45+ minutes away...)

So DD1 has had her TB since she hit 40# and DD2 has the "ugly" scenera for right now (still in it bag with the receipt because I don't really want it and will be returning it as soon as I decide what car seat to get :) )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC