Best CPS Laws

cmm7

I'm looking through them on the about.com site and so far Tennessee is winning.

Tennessee state law requires that infants under one year of age and weighing less than 20 pounds ride in a rear-facing car seat. If the car seat has a rear-facing weight limit over 20 pounds, the infant may remain rear-facing beyond one year and 20 pounds. Children under age 4 must ride in a car seat. Tennessee requires that all car seats be federally approved and used according to manufacturer's instructions.
Children over age 4 but under age 8 and less than 5 feet in height must use a booster seat. Children over age 8 but less than 5 feet in height must use a booster seat until they reach 5 feet tall. Tennessee requires that children under age 16 who are not in a car seat or booster use a seat belt.

Anyone know of any better than that? I wish it said they HAD to RF to the maximum weight, but at least it says they may. Also, I really like how clear it is that it is eight AND five feet. Does anyone know how well it is enforced?

ADS

lovinwaves

I know here in Missouri they just changed our booster law. It is pretty strict now. I will have to look it up...

I asked this in another thread, but I don't think anyone really came up with a for certain answer. When the law says "Children under age 4 must ride in a car seat." Does that mean a Booster or Harnessed seat. Because in my case I have a friend who's nephew is only 22 months and in a Booster. His parents own 2 or 3 Marathons but for some reason think it is cool he is in a booster w/seatbelt. I would like to approach them saying it is against the law, but I'm really not sure. He is a big 22 mth old, but still????

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Unfortunately it probably means carseat in the generic sense of the word rather than a specific type of seat, unless the law also has a provision for "proper use," and even then a larger 22 month old might meet the minimum size requirements for the particular booster seat being used. How sad the child is in a booster when the parents have Marathons to keep him safely harnessed, I just don't get it. :(

abacus2

The TN law clearly lists carseat as a different thing from a booster. Now enforcement is probably a different issue as most people think boosters are just a type of carseat. TN law also requires children to ride in the backseat if available. I thought the booster law said age 9 or 4' 9". The laws need to be updated so that they say "carseat, not booster" for younger kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC