• Frontier

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Wait for the Oobr (DD1 favorite)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AtTheSouthDam

So, from the recent how much room left on DD1's regent I now know she does not have much time before she has to go to a booster full time. She is asking to move to a booster.
DD1 has ridden in a booster only TWICE in the past 9 months, once with Papa to the movies last week (4 miles total, not far), and once to get daddy after DD2 soaked her regent in vanilla milk. I don't know how she did with Papa but she sat well in the van for the 20 minute trip. Of course the belt was locked.

Current stats, 5.5y, 54# and 48" with a nearly 18" torso.

I am thinking I want to start "booster training" her now but still want to use a harness for longer trips or errands days when she is more likely to get tired or fidgety.

She has two clicks in height left on the TB. And I would prefer the booster LATCH because I am self proclaimed space cadet and would forget to make sure it was buckled. But I am open to other ideas!
Oh, and '07 Freestar, she usually sits in the middle of the third row or next to DD2 in the second row.

ADS

Splash

Frontier is a waste since you won't have much, if any, harness room. Oobr might be out next week, might be out in early 2011. It's also version 1.0 but as a booster I wouldn't be all that concerned. I'd say Monterey, but if she really thinks she likes the Oobr, and you don't need it yesterday (which you don't, since she fits in the TB), I'd wait until she can compare them both.

AtTheSouthDam

Frontier is a waste since you won't have much, if any, harness room. Oobr might be out next week, might be out in early 2011. It's also version 1.0 but as a booster I wouldn't be all that concerned. I'd say Monterey, but if she really thinks she likes the Oobr, and you don't need it yesterday (which you don't, since she fits in the TB), I'd wait until she can compare them both.

It's only her favorite because of prints. The other two are boring.

The TB is a back up. Originally the XT was going to be the back up but she is too tall. We have only one car so I like to keep a seat for each child at home for emergencies. I was thinking of having both seat in the van for a month or so while I see how she does. Do you think I should pick up a cheap TB? Or risk not having a spare at home?

ETA: I put the frontier on there because some one mentioned in the "How much time left" thread she may need it for the height :)

Last edited:

scatterbunny

I voted Monterey because you want to start booster-training now, not later, and the Oobr isn't out yet (though you can booster-train with the Turbo).

You've got a dedicated LATCH spot for the middle of your third row, which is awesome. :thumbsup: That means you can use the Oobr there, if that's what you decide to go for, but without actually seeing one in person, I can't vote for it.

HEVY

I wish I had a shoulder belt in my middle third row :thumbsdown: It would have been great to put a booster there. It has latch but no headrest, so only good for a carseat, wasted seat.
I would choose the Monterey, it's so close to being a carseat, and start training her now.

scatterbunny

Oh yeah, I assumed because it's an 07 Freestar that it has a center shoulderbelt in the third row...hope that's the case! :p

mommaon112903

Josef :love: his Monteray and is currently begging for a "red seat with the seat belt" in my car. I really like it too, but wonder about the new oobr...but I do not have center LATCH in my car, so the oobr is out for me because I want a LATCHable booster as well.

AtTheSouthDam

Oh yeah, I assumed because it's an 07 Freestar that it has a center shoulderbelt in the third row...hope that's the case! :p

Yeah, it has a retractable shoulder belt. When not in use It tucks into the ceiling. It's a feature I really like :)

Well, DD1 is showing she is willing to compromise. If she can get the booster now, she doesn't have to have a monkey one because "gandma can put a monkey on the pink one!"

I was secretly hoping there was some unfound option out there that had more color choices :p

scatterbunny

I wish! My dd would love a cool, funky carseat cover, too...but the Monterey is BORING. :thumbsdown: The Oobr will at least have exciting covers/colors, but again, who knows when that will be on the market. I wish Britax would start cranking out boosters again, they're usually pretty good about fun covers.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I voted Monterey because you want to start booster-training now, not later,
Ditto . . . also ditto to the point that you could just get a Turbo to begin booster training now & Oobr later -- then you would have a spare for friends (my kid had indoor booster training with the Turbo, which her big halfsis used on visits)

AtTheSouthDam

Hmm..
the Montery is not the clear cut winner I thougt it might be. And no helpful "it won't work in your van" Darn it :p
I think we will wait on the Oobr. DH is supposed to get his own car sometime in the future. It was going to be this spring and has been pushed off to this summer (much like oobr ;) ). So we can get that for DH's car then. That should help on that front.

So how do the frontier and Montery compare to the Regent size wise? Will they take up less room front to back (regent has recline bar)? Will one sit further back than the other? The regent over hangs a bit and I am hoping a booster will increase leg room. And what about width? Will anyone be able to fit next to the Montery or Frontier in the middle of the back row?

Sorry, about the all the questions. I don't have a place to actually look at these like I did the Regent (but still couldn't try in my car or I would have realized how much room it took.)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
So how do the frontier and Montery compare to the Regent size wise? Will they take up less room front to back (regent has recline bar)? Will one sit further back than the other? The regent over hangs a bit and I am hoping a booster will increase leg room.
I'm pretty sure the Monterey takes up slightly less front-to-back room than our Husky (without recline bar) but offers about the same leg support & I haven't noticed whether my kid has more leg room in the Monterey compared to her Husky (although the benefit of the Husky is that it's easier for kiddo to cross her legs)

And what about width? Will anyone be able to fit next to the Montery or Frontier in the middle of the back row?
Well, in my mom's Yaris, no one can but me can fit on either side when the highback Monterey in the center (I have to sit at an odd angle & I'm only 100#). My mom (shorter than me & 50# heavier) can fit on either side when it's backless (not comfortably, but also without frustrated, uncomfortable complaints & Grandma is vocal, LOL). My niece who is the same size as me (just not as cooperative about sitting in odd twisty positions: which was only done as a test anyway) can fit fine in the center of the Yaris with highback Monterey outboard & me on her other side (also comfortably, no odd twisting in my seat). The Yaris is compact.

The highback Monterey is wide, similar to the Husky/Regent although I haven't measured. Backless isn't such a problem.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC