1/2" left in Marathon - now what? (& how long?)

Nisha

Just another "How Long" question...
DD has about a 1/2" left until she reaches the top harness on the Marathon. She's 4 years 5 months and 36 lbs. Any guesses how much longer we have?
What next? I know she'll ride fine in a booster around town but I really don't want her in a booster for road trips (we travel a lot) but I could just use her Radian for that. (The radian is installed in DH's car, not in the van which is our main vehicle.)
Any thoughts on how long and what I should consider for the next seat?

ADS

scatterbunny

It totally depends on the kid, and the stage in growth, IMO. There have been times my dd has sprouted a half an inch seemingly overnight, all in one height growth spurt. Once or twice it seemed to take her a year to grow half an inch in the torso. More often, though, it takes her six months to grow that much. Generally my dd grows 2.5-3 inches overall in a year, and not quite half of that is torso.

Because she's only 36#, I have a really hard time being okay with a booster as the next seat. :eek: I'd probably choose a Frontier or Nautilus, personally.

Ali

DD was about at that spot right at age 4. We had 2 BRU coupons and the money, so we went ahead and got the GN for my car (already had a FR in DHs car). We gave the MAs to a friend.

DD probably could have eeked out a few more months in the MAs, but I didn't want to have to constantly be worrying about a growth spurt.

We love the GN!

mommaon112903

For Josef, a 1/2" would by us maybe a few months the way he grows in his torso. When we bought the Regent in June 2007 his torso was 14" and I just measured him again the other night he is now 17" :eek: Overall he grew around 3.5" but as you can see that was mostly torso growth.

I too would suggest a FN or GN for her.

Nisha

So how do you all feel about the FN as a BPB? (later on, of course.) If I'm going to spend the $$ on another seat, I would prefer it to be the last one (I know, not always possible!), but I've heard most people don't like the GN as a BPB.

I was really only thinking booster because I found a pretty pink TB at Kmart on sale for $34.00!!! (no, I didn't buy it!)

And of course, wondering how much time we might have in the MA, since I haven't kept track of her torso growth.

SuperNanny

I am an advocate for extending 5 point harnessing for many reasons so I would not move her to a booster yet. The frontier and nautilus are great for this, like pp's said.

Nisha

Can you buy new covers for the FN? DD would want pink, of course but I'd want the seat to go to DS later on!

Kat_Momof3

I'm sure you can... britax usually sells spare covers.

I'd go ahead and get the frontier because it will last her (and/or her brother... love that 9yr lifespan) so long.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC