15 passenger Van safety

Beana

Can anyone explain to me why seatbelts are the only requirement for children over 3 years old in a 15 passenger van? I know that the rules are state specific but when my son goes on field trips at preschool, I was told that the he only needed a seatbelt and no car set (since he is older then 3):eek:

His preschool is a private entity and I've been told (and done some research to verify) that there are no rules on using car seats. I'm petrified of this and it just seems wrong.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I believe it has something to do with vehicular weight. Anything over X pounds (4500?? Someone help me out here!) is classified as a bus and therefore falls under the rules for a bus.

I think that's it. We had someone here not too long ago hoping to buy one for her family and she was having trouble finding ways to get carseats to fit in. I think in the end she didn't get it.

Wendy

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
That is a good question. Preschoolers should be in a restraint system, regardless of vehicle type. I'm surprised that any state would waive their restraint laws for 15 passenger vans, given the poor safety record of those vehicles.

In my opinion, a group of 3-year olds using only lap belts in a 15-passenger van is a horrible tradgedy waiting to happen:-(

Lys

Senior Community Member
That is a good question. Preschoolers should be in a restraint system, regardless of vehicle type. I'm surprised that any state would waive their restraint laws for 15 passenger vans, given the poor safety record of those vehicles.

In my opinion, a group of 3-year olds using only lap belts in a 15-passenger van is a horrible tradgedy waiting to happen:-(

There already WAS a tragedy just like this in SC ( where I am from) I sadly witnessed the accident. It was horrible. An 18 wheeler could not stop at a red light ( it was a blind intersection) and t-boned the van. Little kids were thrown out of the van and allover this 4 lane highway! I can still vividly remember it!!
It's been quite a few years ago but because one of the children died in the accident, SC law no longer allows daycares to use these types of vans to transport children. The children's parents enacted a new law to prevent this from happening again.
http://www.jacobs-law.org/

Here is an excerpt about the incident
"In 1994, Heathwood Hall Episcopal school of South Carolina had a 15-passenger van (owned by the school) involved in an accident - several injured, one young man died. The parents sued everybody. The driver of the van was not at fault - truck ran a red light and hit them broadside. The result was the single largest wrongful death settlement ever in the state of South Carolina. Here's why: 1. It is a violation of Federal Law (title 49) for a dealer to sell a vehicle to a school that does not meet federal Motor Vehicle safety Standards consistent with the 1974 Congressional mandate for school bus safety. The van dealer was found liable. 2. Federal regulations DO NOT prohibit the use of these vehicles once the school owns them, but the school was found negligent for using an improper vehicle to transport students."

RubysGirl

Okay, i'm confused, How were the kids thrown out? Weren't they in apropriate seats? And would a small school bus really have been better? Those arent' even required to have seatbelts.

Lys

Senior Community Member
Okay, i'm confused, How were the kids thrown out? Weren't they in apropriate seats? And would a small school bus really have been better? Those arent' even required to have seatbelts.

This may better explain why.
To proceed further, we need to differentiate between a school bus and a 15-passenger van. A school bus is specially manufactured to be extremely crash-resistant. A high strength skeleton is covered by a double wall of rigid sheet metal; the roof is reinforced to protect against collapse in a rollover; fuel tanks are reinforced to prevent leakage and explosion upon impact. A 15-passenger van is manufactured to truck standards, with the end use of the vehicle intended for the hauling of cargo. There is some reinforcement in the driver compartment, but in the rear cargo area there is a flimsy skeleton covered by one layer of sheet metal. A 15-passenger van in essence is a basic cargo van that has had its interior stripped out, and has rows of benches bolted onto the floor.

http://www.isacs.org/resources/monographs/library.asp?id=165&category=6&action=show

Also, if you go to the Jacob's law website, there is a photo of the crashed van. There was no glass left in one side of the van.
And this information about 15 passenger vehicles
Conclusions of the NTSB Report:
In almost each of the 4 accidents the driver of the van was partly or totally at fault for the accident
If the students who died had been made to wear their seatbelts they probably would have lived. The cause of their death in almost every case was being ejected from the vehicle.
If the vehicles met the FVSS's for School buses there would have been less damage and potentially less injury and death.

http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/faci...Briefing The 15-Passenger Van Controversy.htm

mamato2

Lysandra, all I can say is WOW. Those are some powerful articles! I have always intended to never let my children ride in a 15 passenger van and now I have more reason to stick with that resolve.
What is sad is that here in Texas, those vans pull up each day at the elem. schools and load up with kids to go to daycares. The drivers are all young and the kids don't seem to be properly restrained. I've even seen some drivers talking on cell phones while driving.
I guess I DID have more to say than 'WOW'!
Thanks for sharing,
C.

Beana

I've seen the same thing happen. I've been preaching to the fellow preschool moms not to allow their kids in the van but they all look at me like I'm crazy. I am the only one to carry my britax car seat to preschool for any field trip for my 3.5 year old and get the strange looks. I've just started driving him myself, at least I feel better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC