Need a new 5-point harness for DC up to 65lb

BCsymmes

my 5 year old had his check up this week, and is 45 lb (43' tall), and will quickly outgrow his Traditions seat. I prefer to keep him in a 5 point if i can, but honestly can't afford to get him another expensive seat (he is currently in a Radian in our van).

Suggestions?

ADS

Evolily

Your options are basically going to be the Graco Nautilus, Britax Frontier, and Safety 1st Apex. The Apex will be outgrown the quickest- the top slots are about 17.5 in. The Nautilus is around 18.5 in, the Frontier around 18.25 in (note, though, some kids outgrow the nautilus sooner than the frontier- depends on the kid and the vehicle). For comparison, the top slots of the Radian are 17 in.

Good luck!

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
How much is too much? How much room does he have in the Radian? The Nautilus would make a good choice, and it's cheaper than the Radian - I think it's about $220 at Wal-Mart. The Apex could work if you have headrests - Sears has it for about $180. The True Fit has a higher harness than the Traditions and it can be had for $150 on sale. It would seem to me though that the length of time you gain in the last two seats, compared to the Nautilus, is hardly worthwhile. :shrug-shoulders:

This is Jewels list of high-weight harnesses available in Canada:

For booster combo seats in Canada that harness past 40lbs are:
*Britax Frontier (65lbs) (THS 18.25")
*Graco Cargo with upfront adjust(48lbs) makes a ok booster (17" THS)
*Graco Nautilus (65lbs) (THS 18.25 ")
*Evenflo Chase(16.8" THS)/Vision/Tradition (16" THS) (47lb limit) makes a ok booster
*Evenflo Bolero/Generations (47lb) makes a decent booster (Bolero is $120 at Walmart) (16.5" THS)
*Cosco Apex (65lb) makes a decent booster ~ (17" THS)
*Dorel/Cosco/Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 (aka AO/AOE) NEW MODELS (35lbsRF/50lbs FF) THS: 17.5"

For Higher Weight seats:
*Britax Boulevard (65lbs) (THS 17")
*Britax Marathon (65lbs) (17" THS)
*Sunshine Kids Radian (65lbs) (18" THS)
*Evenflo EFTA (47lbs) (17" THS)
*Evenflo Titan (47lbs) (15.5" THS)
*Compass/First Years True Fit (65lbs) (18"THS)

HTH! :)

mykidsmylife

B/c I am a dork and forgot to check if this was a Canadian post or not.
But hey the Apex is available in Canada? Never realized that. LOL.

BCsymmes

I guess a True fit it will be. Darn, i was hoping to keep it under $100, since he only uses it 2 days a week, and just to and from preschool. He does have 2lb to go, and it took him over a year to put the last 2lbs on, so i might be able to stretch this out for a bit longer.

Height wise he is doing well, his shoulders are not quiet at the top slot, about 1/2' to go.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Not too many choices for under C$100. Only Scenera and perhaps one of the Evenflo combo seats. None of which would work for your situation though.

April

Your options are basically going to be the Graco Nautilus, Britax Frontier, and Safety 1st Apex. The Apex will be outgrown the quickest- the top slots are about 17.5 in. The Nautilus is around 18.5 in, the Frontier around 18.25 in (note, though, some kids outgrow the nautilus sooner than the frontier- depends on the kid and the vehicle). For comparison, the top slots of the Radian are 17 in.

Good luck!

I'm pretty sure the Apex top slots are less than 17 in. In fact, I'm almost positive mine measures 16.5.

Oh, and I get about an inch more of torso room in the True Fit vs. Radian installed side by side, just for reference.

dragonfly8

What is his torso length? Sitting down against a wall, measuer from his bum to his shoulders. Would he fit in a True Fit? High harnass heights, harnassed to 65lbs and is often on sale at Zellers for $150.....................

There are other harnassed seats that turn into boosters as well, not sure of the prices of those though. I do know there is the Apex and I *think* it is around $170---harnassed to 65lbs and then booster to 100lbs (I am pretty sure). You do need a high headrest though for the apex, it needs the support as I've heard the headrest on the apex is flimsy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC