Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Need a new 5-point harness for DC up to 65lb

my 5 year old had his check up this week, and is 45 lb (43' tall), and will quickly outgrow his Traditions seat. I prefer to keep him in a 5 point if i can, but honestly can't afford to get him another expensive seat (he is currently in a Radian in our van).

Suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Re: Need a new 5-point harness for DC up to 65lb

Your options are basically going to be the Graco Nautilus, Britax Frontier, and Safety 1st Apex. The Apex will be outgrown the quickest- the top slots are about 17.5 in. The Nautilus is around 18.5 in, the Frontier around 18.25 in (note, though, some kids outgrow the nautilus sooner than the frontier- depends on the kid and the vehicle). For comparison, the top slots of the Radian are 17 in.

Good luck!
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

How much is too much? How much room does he have in the Radian? The Nautilus would make a good choice, and it's cheaper than the Radian - I think it's about $220 at Wal-Mart. The Apex could work if you have headrests - Sears has it for about $180. The True Fit has a higher harness than the Traditions and it can be had for $150 on sale. It would seem to me though that the length of time you gain in the last two seats, compared to the Nautilus, is hardly worthwhile.

This is Jewels list of high-weight harnesses available in Canada:

For booster combo seats in Canada that harness past 40lbs are:
    *Britax Frontier (65lbs) (THS 18.25")
    *Graco Cargo with upfront adjust(48lbs) makes a ok booster (17" THS)
    *Graco Nautilus (65lbs) (THS 18.25 ")
    *Evenflo Chase(16.8" THS)/Vision/Tradition (16" THS) (47lb limit) makes a ok booster
    *Evenflo Bolero/Generations (47lb) makes a decent booster (Bolero is $120 at Walmart) (16.5" THS)
    *Cosco Apex (65lb) makes a decent booster ~ (17" THS)
    *Dorel/Cosco/Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 (aka AO/AOE) NEW MODELS (35lbsRF/50lbs FF) THS: 17.5"

For Higher Weight seats:
    *Britax Boulevard (65lbs) (THS 17")
    *Britax Marathon (65lbs) (17" THS)
    *Sunshine Kids Radian (65lbs) (18" THS)
    *Evenflo EFTA (47lbs) (17" THS)
    *Evenflo Titan (47lbs) (15.5" THS)
    *Compass/First Years True Fit (65lbs) (18"THS)
    HTH!

CPS Technician

B/c I am a dork and forgot to check if this was a Canadian post or not.
    But hey the Apex is available in Canada? Never realized that. LOL.

Johnathon 10yrs, 76 lbs, 5-steps
    Seth, 6yrs, 43lbs in Clek Oobr
    River, 4yrs, 38lbs in FR85 and Clek Foonf

I guess a True fit it will be. Darn, i was hoping to keep it under $100, since he only uses it 2 days a week, and just to and from preschool. He does have 2lb to go, and it took him over a year to put the last 2lbs on, so i might be able to stretch this out for a bit longer.

Height wise he is doing well, his shoulders are not quiet at the top slot, about 1/2' to go.

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Not too many choices for under C$100. Only Scenera and perhaps one of the Evenflo combo seats. None of which would work for your situation though.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

Quote Originally Posted by CelticLabyrinth View Post
    Your options are basically going to be the Graco Nautilus, Britax Frontier, and Safety 1st Apex. The Apex will be outgrown the quickest- the top slots are about 17.5 in. The Nautilus is around 18.5 in, the Frontier around 18.25 in (note, though, some kids outgrow the nautilus sooner than the frontier- depends on the kid and the vehicle). For comparison, the top slots of the Radian are 17 in.

Good luck!
    I'm pretty sure the Apex top slots are less than 17 in. In fact, I'm almost positive mine measures 16.5.

Oh, and I get about an inch more of torso room in the True Fit vs. Radian installed side by side, just for reference.
    April-CRST
    "Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother." ~Oprah Winfrey
    DD1-11 years: seatbelt
    DS1-10 years: seatbelt DD2-7.5 years: lightrider
    DS2-6.5 years: parkway DD3-2.5 years: RF RNXT

What is his torso length? Sitting down against a wall, measuer from his bum to his shoulders. Would he fit in a True Fit? High harnass heights, harnassed to 65lbs and is often on sale at Zellers for $150.....................

There are other harnassed seats that turn into boosters as well, not sure of the prices of those though. I do know there is the Apex and I *think* it is around $170---harnassed to 65lbs and then booster to 100lbs (I am pretty sure). You do need a high headrest though for the apex, it needs the support as I've heard the headrest on the apex is flimsy
    ~CRST with CPSAC~