Antique carseats & community education (shout out to "classicseats")

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My local history center holds "cafes", which are kind of like mini museum displays for a limited timeframe plus panel discussion by locals with expertise on the subject.... Well, they liked my idea & are adding antique carseats to the list of ideas to plan for next year! :D So, now I need to actually do some real research on the history of motor vehicle occupant safety -- changing trends in parental practices & perceptions of safety . . . most importantly, for presentational effect, I need to get my hands on some antique carseats or at least some quality images for large posters.

(They said they might present this as part of a larger topic: children in society in general, or something along those lines)

ADS

Evolily

Oooh- a time line could be great, to show the changing technology.

Keep an eye on craigslist, you'll likely find some older ones (I've seen ones that are probably from the late 80's)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I do wish I'd saved that horrible Gerry shield booster I rescued a couple years ago . . . but, seats even that old are pretty rare in this area.... I will keep a keener eye, though.

& thanks for the timeline tip -- I could really have fun with this! All the better that a timeline lets me add the most recent AAP recommendation :cool:

I'm also thinking of getting some journalism students on campus to interview older members of our community for car stories from their childhoods :love:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Very cool! You will have to post a wish list, so we can all find you seats.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Would your frog be willing to give up his seat? :love:

Oh & this cartoon is cracking me up :p

I needed to go to bed a while ago, though :eek: so I'll come back to this . . . I'm pretty sure I've got time enough not to have to rush this....

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Frog is kinda attached to the seat. Maybe, if I could make sure if was safe there and back, it could go on vacation. Could you take pics of fun places it goes?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Could you take pics of fun places it goes?
I would absolutely! :D

My family business has never had any problems with insured UPS shipments in the last 10 yrs -- they've got the account set up so everytime a package is scanned it shows up as "urgent medical supplies". I can do a calltag: you leave the box on your porch or answer the door, the driver will have the label ready upon pickup, all at our cost . . . with shipment tracking notification sent directly from UPS to your email for both the trip out & the return trip....

utvol3

Where are you in upstate NY? Will you post when the exhibit is on? I would love to see it if I am within driving distance.

U

Unregistered

Am I the only one offended that antique carseats are being offered up as "early 80's". <grin> I had a carbed as a baby that my dad made as a baby that morphed into a cradle. (My dad found the plans in the garage when he cleaned it.) He made a cradle from the plans for my kids. I also had a manufactured car seat when I could sit up. It was metal tubing and cushions. I'll have to see if I can find pictures. I was born in 1968, so that would be late 60's and early 70's. I have seen lots of old carbeds at garage sales that are 60's-70's era.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hey, I already got a response re: older persons' memories of family car trips :)

Growing up on Cape Cod in the 40s and 50s, we used to have 3-4 families go to the beach in one car (families were large then). Kids stacked 3-4 high in the back seat. The kids in the bottom row alternated sitting all the way back or all the way forward so we could fit more in. At least a dozen kids, often more than 15. ... Read MoreLater, in retrospect, I dubbed this "the sardine system of car safety." Two of the three moms in the front seat would have babies on their laps (the third mom was driving). Sometimes a "biter" or a "cookie-tosser" would also get to sit up front. Not nearly as safe as we were in the back.
She signs with "before seatbelts, driving into a tree was a big deal" -- didn't have the heart to tell her seatbelts alone still cause big deal injuries for kids :eek: (she does use carseats & boosters for her grandkids because it's the law & she has my URL, too)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Am I the only one offended that antique carseats are being offered up as "early 80's". <grin> I had a carbed as a baby that my dad made as a baby that morphed into a cradle. (My dad found the plans in the garage when he cleaned it.) He made a cradle from the plans for my kids. I also had a manufactured car seat when I could sit up. It was metal tubing and cushions. I'll have to see if I can find pictures. I was born in 1968, so that would be late 60's and early 70's. I have seen lots of old carbeds at garage sales that are 60's-70's era.
Oh, neat! I mean, horribly frightening, but interesting ;) & I personally call the 80s carseats "retro", but the timeline will hopefully be more full of carseats from before the time when TV turned to color :cool: (For that matter, almost anything called "antique" in the US is kind of laughable to me considering European versions of antique, which I guess we would just call ancient, leaving me without the right word for truly ancient stuff :rolleyes:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC