Question Safety 1st summit deluxe

A

AA Mama

Just saw this carseat on the Costco website... Anyone with any experience with it? I'm looking to get 2 for my kids ages 3 and 18mo for the babysitter's car. They are both on the small side (my 3 yo not yet 30lbs).

ADS

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The summit is not highly recommended. Also if your kids are under 30# then they should both be rearfacing and the summit doesn't rearface. For a budget friendly seat, cosco scerena-under $50 or the safety 1st avenue- around $80. The avenue has taller top slots then the scerena, so it will last longer and the ave has eps foam.

Rearfacing is 5x safer then forward facing. What seats do they ride in in your car?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
That seat does not rearface, so it is not appropriate for your children.
Best practice would be to keep both of them rearfacing until 35 pounds, but if you want to FF the 3 year old, that would be acceptable. The 18 month old REALLY needs to stay Rfing until at LEAST 2 years old, poer the new AAP recommendations.

Also, that seat is really crap. It has low top slots, so most kids outgrow it before 40 lbs anyway, and then it makes a TERRIBLE booster, you woudl absolutely not want to use it as a booster. So, not a great value at all.

Some good, but cheap, spare seats are the cosco scenera, safety 1st uptown and avenue, and the evenflo triumph advance. The summit runs about $100, and the scenera is $50, the uptown/avenue is $65/80 and the EFTA can be found on sale for $120 or so most of the time. these seats all rearfaceto 35 lbs and then FF to 40, or 50 for the EFTA.

I second what the PP said..what seasts do they have in your car? It might be more cost-effective to hand down your seats to the babysitter car and get new seats for your car , depending on what seats you have.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Just saw this carseat on the Costco website... Anyone with any experience with it? I'm looking to get 2 for my kids ages 3 and 18mo for the babysitter's car. They are both on the small side (my 3 yo not yet 30lbs).

Welcome to c-s.org :)

While the Summit is a decent forward-facing only seat, I would like to ask if you would consider other seats as well? What are the things that you like about the Summit? What is your budget? What are you driving now? What are there current carseats? These answers would help us to suggest suitable seats.

Btw, your 18 mos old would definitely benefit by remaining rf longer. There are many resources that we can provide for you to read on why rf is safest, especially for little ones like yours.

My 19 mos old is still rf and I plan to keep her rf until she reaches the limit of her rf weight limit on her carseats (which is 30 and 35 lbs) OR until the top of her head is less than 1" from the top of the carseats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC