Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

10 Year Old Car- Airbag Question for Darren

Hi I have a friend whose husband just bought a used car -1996 Acura (not sure of the model). I mentioned to her that I believed that once a car with airbags is 10 yrs old- they must check? or get new? airbags, I wasn't sure, but they shoud ask someone about it. They have NO money to spend (getting this car was a big ordeal) but of course they had no clue about this. Maybe a tech ( Darren ) can answer definitively what they might do. Thank You! (I am also curious because our 99 Camry is getting there in age too!)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Quote Originally Posted by yoshiandluke View Post
    Hi I have a friend whose husband just bought a used car -1996 Acura (not sure of the model). I mentioned to her that I believed that once a car with airbags is 10 yrs old- they must check? or get new? airbags, I wasn't sure, but they shoud ask someone about it. They have NO money to spend (getting this car was a big ordeal) but of course they had no clue about this. Maybe a tech ( Darren ) can answer definitively what they might do. Thank You! (I am also curious because our 99 Camry is getting there in age too!)
    I have not heard of a general rule for a 10 year inspection. Unless it is specificed as required maintenance in the owner's manual, the airbag light is illuminated or there is some visible issue with the cover or something, I don't think it would be necessary.

In the back of my owner's manual it says to have the airbag checked after so many years. I just can't remember how many years it actually does say.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

I noticed in dh's XJ6 the last time I rode in it that the airbags are supposed to be replaced after (I think) 15 years.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Senior Community Member
    Thanks, all. I guess they should first check the manual and then go from there. I just realized that besides carseats expiring, airbags are one more thing that people may not think about because you just forget that they are there, waiting to do their job if needed. Most people probably don't keep their cars that long (we do- we drive 'em until 300,000 miles!) but all our cars before our current two were pre-1990, so no airbags.

About 3-5 years ago I had a friend who was in an accident and her airbags did not go off. They should have gone off according to the dealership. It was a gliche in the system they said. I can't remember which model car it was but it was a Chevy, GM, or Ford. Kind of scary, but reality is that nothing is fool proof. I imagine every year airbag Technology gets safer and better every year!! I'm sure there are many stories like this one out there of every car manufacturer. Thank goodness she was ok. She did have her seatbelt on so that definitely saved her from going through the windshield.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9

CPS Technician
    I just noticed today in my Land Rover that on the fold down sun visors that have the car seat/ child under 12 and air bag warrning that it says Air back must be serviced 10 years from the date that the car was manufactured, not sure when it was manufactured, it's a 2003 car but i know my cavalier was an 01 but was actully manufactred in 00 so that's something to keep in mind also!
    Becky CPS Tech, driver of '05 Quest, and Mama to
    DS 8y 6m (51.5" 61# torso 20") Backless Turbo and parkway
    DD 6y 4m (47" 42.5# torso 16") Parkway and Radian F/F
    DD 4y 1m (42" 35# torso 15") Marathon F/F

Quote Originally Posted by becca011906 View Post
    I just noticed today in my Land Rover that on the fold down sun visors that have the car seat/ child under 12 and air bag warrning that it says Air back must be serviced 10 years from the date that the car was manufactured, not sure when it was manufactured, it's a 2003 car but i know my cavalier was an 01 but was actully manufactred in 00 so that's something to keep in mind also!
    Oh, that reminds me. I think my Toyota 4-Runner's visor said that also. I don't remember if my Ody says that or not. So some of you can check your visors.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9

The only thing my visors say are the no carseats...thing. I remember when we got an updated sticker to put over the old one.

it's a 97.
    apparently, people put stuff here.
    imagine:
    photos of my extremely adorable spawn.
    their stats and a
    witty quote.

posted from my computer using the internet...
    Super SEEEEKRIT stuff here.