10 Year Old Car- Airbag Question for Darren

Yoshi

Hi I have a friend whose husband just bought a used car -1996 Acura (not sure of the model). I mentioned to her that I believed that once a car with airbags is 10 yrs old- they must check? or get new? airbags, I wasn't sure, but they shoud ask someone about it. They have NO money to spend (getting this car was a big ordeal) but of course they had no clue about this. Maybe a tech ( Darren ) can answer definitively what they might do. Thank You! (I am also curious because our 99 Camry is getting there in age too!)

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hi I have a friend whose husband just bought a used car -1996 Acura (not sure of the model). I mentioned to her that I believed that once a car with airbags is 10 yrs old- they must check? or get new? airbags, I wasn't sure, but they shoud ask someone about it. They have NO money to spend (getting this car was a big ordeal) but of course they had no clue about this. Maybe a tech ( Darren ) can answer definitively what they might do. Thank You! (I am also curious because our 99 Camry is getting there in age too!)

I have not heard of a general rule for a 10 year inspection. Unless it is specificed as required maintenance in the owner's manual, the airbag light is illuminated or there is some visible issue with the cover or something, I don't think it would be necessary.

lovinwaves

In the back of my owner's manual it says to have the airbag checked after so many years. I just can't remember how many years it actually does say.

skaterbabs

I noticed in dh's XJ6 the last time I rode in it that the airbags are supposed to be replaced after (I think) 15 years.

Yoshi

Thanks, all. I guess they should first check the manual and then go from there. I just realized that besides carseats expiring, airbags are one more thing that people may not think about because you just forget that they are there, waiting to do their job if needed. Most people probably don't keep their cars that long (we do- we drive 'em until 300,000 miles!) but all our cars before our current two were pre-1990, so no airbags.

lovinwaves

About 3-5 years ago I had a friend who was in an accident and her airbags did not go off. They should have gone off according to the dealership. It was a gliche in the system they said. I can't remember which model car it was but it was a Chevy, GM, or Ford. Kind of scary, but reality is that nothing is fool proof. I imagine every year airbag Technology gets safer and better every year!! I'm sure there are many stories like this one out there of every car manufacturer. Thank goodness she was ok. She did have her seatbelt on so that definitely saved her from going through the windshield.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I just noticed today in my Land Rover that on the fold down sun visors that have the car seat/ child under 12 and air bag warrning that it says Air back must be serviced 10 years from the date that the car was manufactured, not sure when it was manufactured, it's a 2003 car but i know my cavalier was an 01 but was actully manufactred in 00 so that's something to keep in mind also!

lovinwaves

I just noticed today in my Land Rover that on the fold down sun visors that have the car seat/ child under 12 and air bag warrning that it says Air back must be serviced 10 years from the date that the car was manufactured, not sure when it was manufactured, it's a 2003 car but i know my cavalier was an 01 but was actully manufactred in 00 so that's something to keep in mind also!

Oh, that reminds me. I think my Toyota 4-Runner's visor said that also. I don't remember if my Ody says that or not. So some of you can check your visors.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC