help installing marathon RF in a Dodge Caravan

eliza

I just tried to put DD Marathon in our van. She's been in the snugride, but is about 1 pound from outgrowing it. I put the marathon in rear facing, but it hits the back of the driver seat/or passenger seat. It would work put the person in front then has to sit very straight up and down. When I move the drivers seat back (reclining) it hits the marathon and makes it move to a less reclined position. Any help?

ADS

lovinwaves

Eliza,

You don't have to have a 45 degree recline now that your baby is old enough to hold his head up. If you click on link in my signature you will see the pix of my Marathons in our van. I know our vans aren't the same, but size wise they are probably pretty close. My Marathon's brace against the front seats. Britax actually "promotes" if you will, this kind of bracing. Just read your owner's manual of your car to make sure it does not say you can't do this. Don't worry so much about the recline though. As long as it is at least 30 degrees you are ok. Be sure your captain's chairs in the second row are pushed all the way back also.
Also sometimes it depends on the way the carseat is sitting in the car's seat when I stall. That can make a difference on the incline angle also, so you can try to play around with that a little.

You can also have your Marathon in the "non-recline" position rear-facing also, just make sure your Britax's owner's manual confirms this. A tech may chime in on this one to make sure what I am saying is correct.

HOpe this helps!!:D

LEAW

We have a Caravan... what I do is move the front passenger seat all the way forward, install the seat exactly how I want it, tether it to the track of the front seat for the right recline angle wanted.

Then I scrunch myself up in the front seat, and fix the seatback angle for a comfortable recline - for me, since dh doesn't like to sit on that side with the seat behind him - and then slide the seat base back until the back of the front seat is firmly against the seat.

Doing this gives me every spare inch in the front seat (it's not cramped, but not as stretched out as dh would prefer) and braces the Britax quite well. Dh is 6' and I am 5'7" so I'm not short...

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Do you have captain's chairs? We have a bench so I'm not sure how that compares, but we can get a RA or MA installed behind the driver's seat o.k. and DH needs the seat all the way back. I install the seat for him driving. I scoot the seat up too and then install everything and then scoot it back and pull the tether as tight as I can and I still get an o.k. recline. Be sure you're using the recline function on the seat.

eliza

Do you have captain's chairs? We have a bench so I'm not sure how that compares, but we can get a RA or MA installed behind the driver's seat o.k. and DH needs the seat all the way back. I install the seat for him driving. I scoot the seat up too and then install everything and then scoot it back and pull the tether as tight as I can and I still get an o.k. recline. Be sure you're using the recline function on the seat.

we have captain chairs. I'm going to attempt the installation this weekend!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC