Question "Bucket" Infant seats (what's that difference?)

Freedom_Pixie

I have been wondering what is the difference between the "bucket" seats. I have been looking online. I basically want to know what is the difference between the Graco, Baby Trend, and Chicco seats. I absolutly do not trust Evenflo, but my friend might give it a try. I would like to know the difference so I have an idea on what to get for my friend, she wants the best seat out there for a low income budget but is willing to spend the extra money on a good seat. Any ideas? She is a ERFing and EHing supporter. TIA.

ADS

Pixels

BabyTrend: minimum weight 5 pounds, maximum 22 or 30 (depending on the model, and it's not obvious so you have to look for it). Puzzle buckle (which some people hate, I sort of like :duck:). The handle must be down in the car. Some people have complained that the mechanism to release the handle is sticky or difficult, but I haven't experienced that. Adjustable back model has a no-rethread harness that adjusts up and down with the headwings. The narrowest infant-only seat on the market.

The Graco and Chicco seats are popular with members of this board. They will definitely last longer before being outgrown than the BT. That wasn't a factor for me because I stopped carrying my DD around in the seat somewhere around 14-15 pounds. I'll let someone more familiar with these seats tell you more about them.

The Evenflo isn't recommended largely because in the car, the handle has to be down (in the position right at the top of the shell), plus you then have to have an additional 1.5" of clearance between it and the seat in front. Those rules mean that it takes up a ton of front to back space.

Some comparison pictures, so you can see how the seats compare to each other. All these photos were taken on the same day. DD is about 10 months old, 16.5 pounds, 28" in these pictures.

BabyTrend, 22 pound model, adjusted all the way up. Misuse photo: The shoulder straps must come from at or below the shoulder when RFing.
picture.php

BabyTrend, 30 pound model, adjusted all the way up. Misuse photo: The shoulder straps must come from at or below the shoulder when RFing.
picture.php

Chicco KeyFit 30.
picture.php

Even though the shell itself is as wide (inside) or wider than the BT, she had less room because of the poufyness of the cover.

SnugRide32. She definitely has the most room to grow in this seat.
picture.php

Last edited:

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Pixels99, what a cutie your daughter is! I love that picture of her in the KeyFit.

Freedom_Pixie, I had a Graco SnugRide with my daughter, and a Graco SafeSeat (now SnugRide32) with my son. My daughter used to fuss all the time in her SnugRide, though this is a very popular seat and known to be fairly easy to install, easy to use in strollers, rear-faces to 5-22 pounds, etc. (I think it should last most kids until at least 6-9 months? thought I'm not sure, as my SnugRide was the older version, so it was outgrown earlier.)

The SafeSeat installs like a dream with the seatbelt. I swear it takes longer to unhook the LATCH clips from the base to even attempt a LATCH install than it does to install the SafeSeat with the seatbelt. The lockoff is a thing of genius. Since the SafeSeat was reintroduced as the SnugRide 32, I've read some people finding really good deals on the SafeSeat (5-30 pound limit versus the 32 pounds of the SnugRide 32). I think it should last most kids until about 15-18 months, if not longer.

Freedom_Pixie

Thanks for the information, I told my friend the differences and she said that she wants a Baby Trend. I looked online at walmart.com and target.com and they range from $89.99-$99.99, which isn't bad. She also wants a travel system, so I am looking into buying them seperate, like the stroller then the car seat. Thanks once again for the information.

BW1426

If you're going to go with a travel system, I would personally go with a Graco or Chicco system. I prefer the Chicco travel systems, but the Graco Quattros are nice as well.

heyruthie

If you're going to go with a travel system, I would personally go with a Graco or Chicco system. I prefer the Chicco travel systems, but the Graco Quattros are nice as well.

Sears had a quattro travel system that included a SS1 and extra base for $129 last week--a rockin' deal. the sale may still be good, i don't know.....

tl01

Sears had a quattro travel system that included a SS1 and extra base for $129 last week--a rockin' deal. the sale may still be good, i don't know.....

If they still have that deal... I'd get that! I paid way more than that just for my SS1.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Thanks for the information, I told my friend the differences and she said that she wants a Baby Trend. I looked online at walmart.com and target.com and they range from $89.99-$99.99, which isn't bad. She also wants a travel system, so I am looking into buying them seperate, like the stroller then the car seat. Thanks once again for the information.

Wal-Mart (blech) has some BT travel systems on their website, I believe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC