To what age would you RF?

NannyMom

Since we now have a 40 pound seat coming to the market, Sofi could RF until age 6 (depending on it's height of course). So it got me wondering.... If weight was not an issue, how long would you RF your child?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Until they didn't fit, or objected. I'd say if they were four and fit but objected, I'd let them FF. Maybe 3.

scatterbunny

My dd could have fit RF to age 2, (in a 35# RF limit seat), or to age 3 (in the soon-to-be-released 40# RF limit seat) provided the seat shells were tall enough. I'd gladly keep a child RF to age 3, if possible. If, by chance, I had a smaller child, I'd keep them RF to at least age 4.

miraclebabies

I would say 3... but don't know if my 24# 2yr old will even weight 30# by then. Maybe longer if she didn't mind it.. I want RF as long as possible.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Kindergarten. Heck, Piper missed showing up rear facing by a month. LOL She had been rear facing in early August of 07 for a few days (she went to her 5 year well child appointment rear facing) and started school on the 27th of August or something. So she nearly could have gone to kindy rear facing.

Wendy

skylinphoto

If the seats were made to fit a 4-6 year old here..I'd go for around that age.
But, they're not. At least not yet.

My 3 year old is rfing..and he loves it. He's much more comfy that way..and he doesn't kick my seat. lol.
When he turns 4 (yeah, he's small. I'm sure he'll make it to 4 rfing easy)..I'll give him the choice of ffing or rfing. Before then, no way. Safety trumps my toddler's ever changing opinion any day.
I know others feel differently though. :)

NannyMom

Kindergarten. Heck, Piper missed showing up rear facing by a month. LOL She had been rear facing in early August of 07 for a few days (she went to her 5 year well child appointment rear facing) and started school on the 27th of August or something. So she nearly could have gone to kindy rear facing.

Wendy

I doubt Sofi will go to kindy RF. SHe'll be 1 month shy of 6 years old when she starts.

I think 4 is my age of desire. Maybe not on the 4th birthday.... but sometime after turning 4 :)

veggiegirl228

I was hoping till age 3 since she was getting close to both the height and weight portions but missed it by a few weeks.

If the seats were made for bigger kids to RF in, I would RF them in it until they no longer fit.

Logan probally won't be 40 pounds till kindergarten, so if the seat is for older RF's then he would love it and I would totally let him get it.

My goal once I found out about ERF was when logan was 26 months. I rearfaced him to 3 1/2 years old. He could still fit RF probally in a Britax Marathon, but I don't have one. My FPSVD has a 33 limit.

Pixels

If my child met the maximum for all legal seats before age 2, I'd work hard to get DH to agree to import. Before age 3, I'd seriously consider it.

Age 4 is when I'll take DD's opinions into consideration. Not just one time asking, but if she indicates that she'd rather FF a few times, I'll turn her.

When she enters Kindergarten, I'll turn her even if she hasn't asked for it, for social reasons. At that point, I think the social scarring from getting teased about it outweighs the safety advantage.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would have liked to RF to 3.5-4, but would not have imported an illegal seat or gone into debt to do it after age 2.

Amaris

I would rf until 5 if I could. As others have mentioned I would probably turn them ff'ing when they started kindy. As it is I'm looking forward to the new tf because it's taller than a marathon (and I might as well wait for the new one since I'm not in need of one right now) and I'm wondering if K will make it to 3 rf'ing in her marathon.

monstah

When they start really pitching a fit about RF after 3, I would consider flipping them.

But with my DS this isn't an issue. :( Poor kid is already 45 pounds and would LOVE to ride "backwards."
He was 40 pounds at 24-26 months.

christineka

I figure I'll rear-face dd until she outgrows her radian. She's 4 years old now and only 30 pounds. She is very happy with her car seat, so I have no reason to turn her forward facing. If she gets to be vocal and begs several times to forward face, I'll probably give in and let her do so. We homeschool, so no peer pressure:)

Now, if the radian could rear-face to 40 pounds and dd would continue to happily rear-face, I think I'd let her go from rear-facing straight to a booster at 40 pounds and age 6.5.

AtTheSouthDam

Until 4 or 5 if I had a seat that would do it. Turns out my peanut is 30 lbs! I need new scale, it said 27. Continuing at that rate she will be 35 lbs between 3 1/2 and 4 so I may really consider the RF 40 lbs one if it is real.

solmama

I think 4 is good. My ds might make it to 4. He turned 3 last week and we find out his weight tomorrow. I think he'll get to 35lbs in about 6 mos or so, if he continues on his current pattern. But, 3.5's pretty good, right?

My dd would have made it to 2.5/3 in a 35lb seat, and 3.5 in a 40lb seat.

K's Mama

As long as she still fits RF'ing in a seat. We replaced DD's Marathon with a TrueFit when she hit 30#'s so we could keep her RF'ing - she was already 3 at that point.

4 or 5 if possible. If DS is anything like his cousins, I'm sure if you slap a DVD player in front of him that you could get him RF til 10 or more.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC