Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Unregistered1

Happy Booster Law, Ohio!

Just a reminder that the new Ohio law requring children under 8 years old who are also under 4'9" to ride in a booster seat goes into effect today! Warnings are being given for the first year with full citations, fines, and possible jail time (depending on accompanying offenses, repeat offenses, etc) being given starting one year from tomorrow. For more information visit www.boostohiokids.org!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Happy Booster Law, Ohio!

Thanks Katie - I just posted something on my local craig's list in response to your reminder.

Unregistered1

Yikes. OK, so I just found out, the day AFTER the law was supposed to take effect, that it has been pushed back six months. It will not take effect now until October 6. Lame, IMO, but I don't make the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by MissKatie View Post
    Yikes. OK, so I just found out, the day AFTER the law was supposed to take effect, that it has been pushed back six months. It will not take effect now until October 6. Lame, IMO, but I don't make the rules.

How strange. All of our local news stations ran stories about the new law earlier this week. They never said anything about it being pushed back.
    Gena

Unregistered1

Quote Originally Posted by Gena View Post
    How strange. All of our local news stations ran stories about the new law earlier this week. They never said anything about it being pushed back.
    We could pretend it's taken effect! :P I'm fine a little bit of accidental deception! I've just been telling people "There's this new law that's been passed" hehe.

I guess no one knows that much about it. Maybe no one at the health department really WANTS that information out there. I only found out because I saw something on boost ohio kids and e-mailed our safe kids coordinator to find out the full story. She sent out an email to all the techs the next day.

I'm in Southern OH and have not heard much about the new law. I think there was a blurb on the news when it first passed, but no additional info.

Since we are so close to IN and KY, do kids in cars registered in those states have to comply with the OH law when traveling across state lines?
    Angela, CPST
    DS- Samuel 4/9/08
    DS- Due April 2014

Unregistered1

Quote Originally Posted by aaminnky View Post
    I'm in Southern OH and have not heard much about the new law. I think there was a blurb on the news when it first passed, but no additional info.

Since we are so close to IN and KY, do kids in cars registered in those states have to comply with the OH law when traveling across state lines?
    Any child that is under 8 years old riding in a car in the state of Ohio will have to ride in a booster seat while in Ohio starting in October. Indiana has a similar law protecting children of the same age and Kentucky's law protects children under 7 years old - so most of these children should be in a booster full time regardless of the state they're in anyways

Thanks for your reply!
    Angela, CPST
    DS- Samuel 4/9/08
    DS- Due April 2014

Senior Community Member MANDY1234's Avatar

I hope people listens to this though i dought it! All I hear people complain about when I talk about this is how stupid it is and how inconvenient it is for them!
    BrookeLynn 10, Payton 9, Mya 6, Quincy 5

I keep expecting to hear something about it but I never do. Remember when michigan passed theirs like a year or 2 ago and people had a FIT! Because they were going to have to spring for a $15 booster. So there were a million newspaper articles trying to convince people it really was safer and that health depts would be giving out free ones to those who qualify.

In ohio....nothing. I haven't seen a single article or news blip or anything. Weird.

Why are they pushing it back, does anyone know? I'm SO sick of seeing 5 years olds in the front seat in nothing.
    Shauna, mom to Adrian (9 yrs, 54" and 83 lbs), in an Evenflo Amp and Charlie (6 yrs, 42" and 35 lbs), in an Evenflo Titan 65.

Carseat Crazy

I am totally with you on this one!

I am in Ohio and I have seen and heard NOTHING i the press about it. It is so stupid. They make sure the stupidest things are advertised like crazy and this gets brushed under the rug
    DS 10/7/97- Seatbelt
    DS 3/8/04- Recaro Vivo
    DS 12/13/06- Britax MA
    DS 5/29/09- Britax MA

Unregistered1

I don't have a clue why it got pushed back OR why the press isn't reporting on it. When the law was first signed, it was signed along with a series of other legislation so the blurb about the booster law passing was within articles about the governor signing lots of bills, which most people didn't read. I thought there would be more about it in the following months but there has been next to nothing, and what there is you have to hunt for. I discussed this with someone at a seat check recently and she was as dismayed as I am, but she is a health department employee and didn't know any more than I did about why.

As far as it getting pushed back, I didn't even find out until the day it was supposed to take effect, I noticed something on Boost Ohio Kids and sent an e-mail to our safe kids coordinator for clarification - she sent out an email to all the techs the NEXT day with the fact that it had been pushed back but not why.

Way to keep the grass roots people informed, Ohio!

It is pretty common for laws to get pushed back to give the public more time to comply - I think that happened with the smoking ban too. Either way, I will take it.