Question Flying with TF--buckle question + booster ??

jb5416

I will be flying to Florida from CA this summer with my 4 kids--the youngest is 2 and is RF in a TF in our car. I was planning to bring the TF on the plane with us, and will probably put him FF there because he is huge for his age and every time I have tried to RF him on a plane the FAs have made me turn him around. My question is this--the FF belt path on the TF seems to be right under the cover and it seems like the seat belt buckle would be right in the middle of his back and perhaps not comfortable. Anyone have any experience with that? Should I bring another seat instead? This will be a really long trip so I want him to be nice and comfy.

Also, I wanted input about what to bring for my 7 y.o. for the trip. He is harnessed in a GN in our van, but there is no possible way I can bring that seat with us this summer. What booster would be easy to travel with? We have a Compass B500 (that I hope is not expired) and a carry bag, but I am leery of that seat because the headwings seem too shallow. I don't think I am comfortable with him in a backless at this point, esp. because we will be using a 1998 Lincoln Continental when we are there, so no curtain airbags.

Thanks so much for your help!
Jessie

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd install the True Fit rear facing and if the flight attendants make a fuss, tell them you'll turn him when they show you in the manual where it says he has to be forward facing. Because it doesn't say it. I've had them look. The seat is FAA approved to 35 pounds rear facing. They can't do diddly about it legally.

I'd probably bring the Compass if it's not expired, or look into a Turbobooster and take it apart (bottom goes in the overhead bin, back goes in your luggage). Or look into a new Compass. I think the wings are deeper on the newer versions.

Wendy

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ds was FF in an EFTA on our return flight from Toronto and I was also worried about the buckle being in his back. I was able to feel the bump through the cover, but ds didn't complain at all, so I'm guessing it couldn't have been that bad.

I suspect the bigger issue will be that the buckle will end up in the lock-off. I'm not sure if a seatbelt extender would fix that or not... But being as it's on a plane and a lap belt which will be locked, I'd be fine with making the decision to not use the lock-off.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC