Harness height lost in install (WOW!)

Splash

I really should take pictures. I knew this before, but somehow convinced myself it was okay. Charlie is about a inch below the top slots in the MA if it is on the floor. When I put him in it installed in a friend's car, he was dead even with the third slots. I figured I would install it in my car and it would give me a year or two, right? So I put it in, and put him in it. He has a hair left before being over the top slots. I mean if I put a ruler through the slot, the ruler would probably stab him in the back. He's got, oh, maybe 3/8" before going over. So that's an almost 2 inch loss upon installation in another vehicle and an inch from showroom floor to car. :eek: So yes, different seats REALLY fit differently in different cars. Might explain why the GN gives me MORE harness room in the van than the Regent did (he's just below the 3rd on the Regent, but even with the 2nd on the GN in the van) and why only ~1" difference between MA and GN equates to over 4" difference installed.

Freaky.

ADS

mommyx4

This happened with our Frontier. In the house she had a TON of growth room. Installed, hardley any which is why I purchased 2 Regents and will use the Frontiers in our other car. I have heard they make great boosters. We will see.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I always lose a good bit of room installed as well. I know my dd would lose a good inch of room once it was installed. I never count those slots as 17" for that reason. I think your friend's car was the exception for giving more room with the MA. :p

melniemi

I thought my dd had about outgrown the marathon by checking in the house. In the third row of the van, she is just above the third slots. Captain's chair, she is 1/2 way between top and second to top. I'm glad she has the most growing room where I want her to stay until she is at least 6 - 1 y 2m more, an extra 6 months would be splendid.

Kat_Momof3

join the club... this is why my kids get equal room in the Regent and Nautilus... and more in the house than the car in a lot of seats.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I always lose a good bit of room installed as well. I know my dd would lose a good inch of room once it was installed. I never count those slots as 17" for that reason. I think your friend's car was the exception for giving more room with the MA. :p

No kidding.

Maybe that's why Britax lists the top seated height for the MA as 16"? It probably takes into account a variety of installations. One mom on the BB board managed to install her MA more upright in the same car, so that her 15.5" torsoed kid went from almost to the top slots, to even with the second to top slots, though :love:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
isn't it weird?

DD has more room in an AOE than she does in the Frontier, installed in a metro.
i swear.
i have pics.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC