Safety of Odyssey's 8th seat

NannyMom

I've seen the Odyssey's 8th seat. I've even removed it from my boss' van :) It does look "as safe" as regular seats to me. Doesn't look as strong/sturdy. Are there any actual safety ratings to that compared to the regular seats? I'd feel more comfortable putting a person in it than a carseat. Am I alone in feeling this way?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If you're concerned about it failing in some method, the lower the weight in the seat, the better. Plus, in the case of seatback failure, a child restraint with a shell like a 5-point harness or high back booster would continue to provide head support.

I have no problems with my kids riding in the 8th seat when I use it from time to time. I've sat there myself now and then, but the head restraint is barely tall enough and it's not very comfortable.

NannyMom

You say you have no problem with them using it from time to time. What about on a regular basis? In my boss' van we're considering putting all 3 kids in the 2nd row, and none in the 3rd row. They are in.... HB TB, SS1 (BV for cenvertible later on) and GN soon to be in booster mode.

lovinwaves

Honda Odyssey "8th Seat" = Center of vehicle = extremely safe :thumbsup:

I personally avoid sitting in that seat whenever possible because the headrest is so low it does not provide my neck and spine with adequate protection in the event of an automobile accident.

I wouldn't think twice about putting a child in that seat in a properly installed carseat or booster. :)

When my daughter's friends ride with us that are currently in booster seats, they almost always sit between my two kids in that 8th seat...

2 rear-facing radians outboard, and TB in middle.
DSC01986-1.jpg

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
You say you have no problem with them using it from time to time. What about on a regular basis? In my boss' van we're considering putting all 3 kids in the 2nd row, and none in the 3rd row. They are in.... HB TB, SS1 (BV for cenvertible later on) and GN soon to be in booster mode.

I would have purchased an 8-pass Sienna if I needed it daily. This would have been for comfort and convenience, rather than safety.

jrmo

I'm wondering this as well because we'd really like to get an Odyssey. Would it be safer to use that middle "jump" seat or take it out and scoot the passenger's captain's chair over.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
My normal configuration is with the aisle down the middle and the jump seat stowed. Just seems to work out best in daily use since we rarely have 7-8 passengers except for a carpool once a month or so.

Chex

I'm wondering this as well because we'd really like to get an Odyssey. Would it be safer to use that middle "jump" seat or take it out and scoot the passenger's captain's chair over.

If you're not needing the 3-across, then I'd take it out and scoot the passenger chair over. This is what we did in ours. Not necessarily for safety, but because the captain's chair is just easier to get a good install on, IME.

We only used the 8th seat when we had to for some reason. It was never an "everyday" use kind of thing. But that was also mostly because of convenience. When there's a carseat installed there (like in a 3-across) it makes access to the 3rd row impossible. The carseat is wider than the 8th seat itself and so neither of the captain's chairs can move forward for access to the 3rd row.

I would have purchased an 8-pass Sienna if I needed it daily. This would have been for comfort and convenience, rather than safety.

Same here. I have no qualms about it's safety. It's just that the 8th seat on a Sienna is MUCH more useful since it's so much bigger. It even has its own set of LATCH anchors.

jsmom

Honda Odyssey "8th Seat" = Center of vehicle = extremely safe :thumbsup:

I personally avoid sitting in that seat whenever possible because the headrest is so low it does not provide my neck and spine with adequate protection in the event of an automobile accident.

I wouldn't think twice about putting a child in that seat in a properly installed carseat or booster. :)

When my daughter's friends ride with us that are currently in booster seats, they almost always sit between my two kids in that 8th seat...

2 rear-facing radians outboard, and TB in middle.
DSC01986-1.jpg

I have a question for you, with that booster in the 8th seat, do the seat belt ends go under the booster... like the booster is wider than the actual seat? Is that okay? We never use that 8th seat because the car seats dont seem to fit very well.

rochelle

My question is about the 8th seat of the Sienna

We rent the 8 seater Sienna when we have family visiting for road trips. our longest was 12 days road trip on the Sienna. (5 aults 2 car seats)

What we did was to put a car seat on the 8th seat and the 2nd car seat at the 3rd row center. one adult sit next to each car seat.

Is that better or is it better to put 2 car seats side by side on the 2nd row?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC